Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 07-06-2009, 09:35 PM

Tranny is out!

So my tranny went out... something broke while i was on the highway and i lost the high gear as the engine was reving at 5k at 80mph... . Thank goodness that i made it back home, but once i got back, car started grinding in the lowr gears.... and i left it parked. Next time i started the car... rev. is gone and makes a funny noise when i put it in rev. So, the tranny is gone! So sad. But anyway, what subie trannys are available... did some research and it seems 4.44 ratio tranny and diff would help and would be the best bet for an auto tranny replacement? Any other ideas? Anyone know roughly the prices for the tranny and diffs and how much labour is in a shop? Im a noob.. so school me if need to. Just don't be too harsh. Thanks
Old 07-06-2009, 09:46 PM
There's a storm coming.

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX
Re: Tranny is out!

Quote:
Originally Posted by chelli View Post
So my tranny went out... something broke while i was on the highway and i lost the high gear as the engine was reving at 5k at 80mph... . Thank goodness that i made it back home, but once i got back, car started grinding in the lowr gears.... and i left it parked. Next time i started the car... rev. is gone and makes a funny noise when i put it in rev. So, the tranny is gone! So sad. But anyway, what subie trannys are available... did some research and it seems 4.44 ratio tranny and diff would help and would be the best bet for an auto tranny replacement? Any other ideas? Anyone know roughly the prices for the tranny and diffs and how much labour is in a shop? Im a noob.. so school me if need to. Just don't be too harsh. Thanks
The how to is in my sig.
Feel free to call.
301-707-2837
Your best bet is to get a remam from LAN for $1000.00 plus shipping.
the first equal length headers,
the first phenolic spacers,
the first Class Glass fiberglass hood,
the first with 4, 4.44s in his driveway

Fiberglass Hood thread
My locker
4.44 Swap link
Old 07-07-2009, 06:51 AM

Hey get on http://www.svxworldforums.com/ and contact Budfreak. He usually selling 4.44 ratio trannies less than your REM quote. Plus, it would last longer than the normal tranny. Just let him know that dce2005 told you to contact him. Hope this helps you out...
Old 07-07-2009, 07:38 AM
There's a storm coming.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chelli View Post
I have done this swap more than anyone, and usually it runs $1200.00, parts, labor, fluids for a sub-100k 4.44.

Fiberglass Hood thread
My locker
4.44 Swap link
Old 07-09-2009, 03:53 PM
Just some dude.

Significant Technical Input

4.44's actually have weaker clutch packs than SVX transmissions do. They just don't have 100,000 miles of use already pushing around a 3800lb SVX. Rest assured though that they start deteriorating as soon as you put them in an SVX.

My partial remans also perform much better. They shift much faster. There is essentially no realistic comparison between one of my upgraded SVX transmissions and a legacy transmission from a salvage yard. Ask Tom how many times he's installed a salvage yard transmission only to have to take it right back out and exchange it for another. That's part of why he prefers to install one of my transmissions; he knows he only has to do it once.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dce2005 View Post
Hey get on http://www.svxworldforums.com/ and contact Budfreak. He usually selling 4.44 ratio trannies less than your REM quote. Plus, it would last longer than the normal tranny. Just let him know that dce2005 told you to contact him. Hope this helps you out...
Old 07-09-2009, 04:20 PM
Just some dude.

It's probably also worth noting that shipping is done on my account so you get to pay my highly discounted rates. Last time I shipped to a metro area in GA like Sav. it was $120.
Old 07-09-2009, 05:52 PM
There's a storm coming.

Quote:
Originally Posted by longassname View Post
4.44's actually have weaker clutch packs than SVX transmissions do. They just don't have 100,000 miles of use already pushing around a 3800lb SVX. Rest assured though that they start deteriorating as soon as you put them in an SVX.

My partial remans also perform much better. They shift much faster. There is essentially no realistic comparison between one of my upgraded SVX transmissions and a legacy transmission from a salvage yard. Ask Tom how many times he's installed a salvage yard transmission only to have to take it right back out and exchange it for another. That's part of why he prefers to install one of my transmissions; he knows he only has to do it once.
On a FWD SVX from Morgantown ( Bruce K.) it took THREE TRANSMISSIONS
before we got one that worked correctly!
Since I sourced the transmission I had to do three installs and three removals all in the price that I had originally quoted.

If YOU provide the transmission the shop would charge for each install, IF you got a bad one.

Fiberglass Hood thread
My locker
4.44 Swap link
Old 07-09-2009, 06:09 PM
word words wording

Send a message via AIM to SomethingElse Send a message via MSN to SomethingElse

Quote:
Originally Posted by svxfiles View Post
Your best bet is to get a remam from LAN for $1000.00 plus shipping.
I thought those jokers ran like $2500 with a core charge?

Rebuilt P/S pump info... http://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=50918

If your car wont start info... http://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/show...ighlight=click
Old 07-09-2009, 06:16 PM
Subaru Silver Contributor

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by SomethingElse View Post
Its a partial rebuild he offers for $1000. It includes a new improved high clutch with better friction and a reworked valve body. Pretty much all you need to make the SVX transmission a lot more solid and to last quite a long time.
Old 07-09-2009, 06:22 PM
Just some dude.

The complete rebuilds are $3,400. The partial rebuilds are only $999. Unless there is hard parts damage (which happens due to poor cooling in about 1 out 5 svx transmissions that go bad) it's always the same parts that go bad. I can replace those clutch packs with upgrades that won't go bad again with a fraction of the labor I have to put into taking every single part of the transmission apart like I do for a full rebuild. I also rework the valve body for fast shifts and higher apply pressures. With a partial rebuild those of limited means can get a bad *** transmission instead of some pos from the salvage yard.

Quote:
Old 07-09-2009, 06:23 PM
Just some dude.

It also upgrade the brake band and include a quality remanufactured torque converter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1986nate View Post
Its a partial rebuild he offers for $1000. It includes a new improved high clutch with better friction and a reworked valve body. Pretty much all you need to make the SVX transmission a lot more solid and to last quite a long time.
Old 07-09-2009, 06:25 PM
word words wording

Send a message via AIM to SomethingElse Send a message via MSN to SomethingElse

cool..i just checked ecutune.com

Lan, if you do a partial rebuild on a 4.44 do you upgrade the components that are not originally designed for the svx....like the lack of clutches or whatevers different from the 3.54?

Rebuilt P/S pump info... http://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=50918

If your car wont start info... http://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/show...ighlight=click
Old 07-09-2009, 06:28 PM
Just some dude.

Excluding the transfer clutch, yes I do.

Quote:
cool..i just checked ecutune.com

Lan, if you do a partial rebuild on a 4.44 do you upgrade the components that are not originally designed for the svx....like the lack of clutches or whatevers different from the 3.54?
Old 07-09-2009, 07:04 PM
Subaru Bronze Contributor

Registered SVX

Lan
Do you rebuild the front differential as well as part of your partial rebuild??? Also do you still need cams? Do you take them as trade?
Please pm me the details
Thanks
92 Black SVX LSL with B&M cooler & Aux filter. Small Car Shift Kit. Gone
94 Red SVX L FWDwith LSL Leather Interior. SOLD
92 Teal SVX LSL....with B&M cooler & Aux filter. Small Car Shift Kit. SOLD
95 Polo Green........With Trany Problem. GONE
Almost complete Rear Wheel Bearings Job with Pictures in my locker
My Locker http://www.subaru-svx.net/photos/user.php?pearlm30
Old 07-09-2009, 07:24 PM
Just some dude.

No I don't. A front differential definitely counts as hard parts damage. I have and can rebuild them but that's a significant amount extra. I don't do that swapping the whole front dif casting and all and hoping by some miracle it comes out right without redoing the set up thing. I replace the broken parts and set the differential up from scratch. There's no reason to expect the horizontal alignment of the hole the pinion mounts to in the pump to be identical across pumps so it's always better to redo the differential set up if you have the tools and knowledge to do so.

I actually do still need cams because that Jakea guy never shipped me the cams I bought from him and as far as I can tell he hasn't come back to the forums since I last asked him to.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pearlm30 View Post
Lan
Do you rebuild the front differential as well as part of your partial rebuild??? Also do you still need cams? Do you take them as trade?
Please pm me the details
Thanks