SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-28-2009, 08:26 PM
The Molinator

Seriously! You DON'T GET IT!

Troy: IC!

Lee: "Good" idea, but don't know anyone here with an SVX.. . PLUS, I have an aftermarket welded Magnaflow (Motorsport) system. I guess it would be very difficult.. .

Tom: I'm not an idiot! Senile! . . . but not totally gone! I've been to three muffler shops that verified I need to use a "certified" CA-numbered CAT (or they won't weld it!) or smog check would not be validated. [True, the smog station might not check the CAT CA-number, but if I complained that I just put a CAT on and it still didn't pass.. . they would definitely check that number, come down on me.. . and DOWN ON THE MUFFLER GUY!] That's why they don't wanna do it.. . and WON'T!

One reason I may sound a little whiney.. . and why you accused me of not wanting to fix it .. IS.. that in CA, if you spend $450 at a certified CA smog station and still don't pass.. . you can almost surely get the smog referree to give you a 2-year smog waiver, meaning my SVX could have a much slower and more peaceful death.. . over a 2-year period! Where I'm standing right now, that sounds "very good"! BUT.. . I can't get the smog guy(s) to refer me to the muffler shop (to have a cat or cats put on)! I told you the last genius said I must take the NGK plat's out .. and put in regular Champions to see what it does, first! Now, I have a place to get a CA-certified Magnaflow CAT, but if I proceed without the referral, the expense will not count at all! Hmmmmm?

Thanks guys.. . Jim

P.S. Tom..Google "Subaru SVX catalytic converter".. . You'll see no CA CATS and several 49 state legal CATS! DO IT!
2013 Veloster Red - Driver Now??Dropsprings [1/2" rear, 1" front] with Koni Strut Inserts> Magnaflow Exhaust System> ECUTune Stage 1av1 Upgrade (from 1v4)> ECUTune TCU MOD> Aluminum Crankshaft Pulley> Stainless Brake Lines> Phenolic Spacers> Perforated Brake Rotors (dint like, OEM now)> SmallCar Shift Kit (resting since TCU MOD)> 7-Position Ground System> High-Pressure Fuel Pressure Regulator (resting)> ATF Cooler & Campaign Filter> Yellow Polish Polyurethane Bushings> Pioneer Double-DIN Stereo with JL AUDIO Speakers> Driveshaft Rebuilt with C-Clip U-Joints> 15 Min MOD> 20 Min MOD .. . (2011)
Valentine One Radar Detector with Remote Display - ucan'tseeme!

Last edited by James Scott; 06-28-2009 at 08:30 PM.
Old 06-28-2009, 09:26 PM
The Molinator

Wink ReBiRtH.. ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by alltrac View Post
Jim

(1)What exactly was done to the car between the two tests? Two new O2 sensors installed and Ecutune Stage 1 v4 regular gas wire switched off plus premium used instead of regular.

(2)The installer of the cat is the one with the liability as they have to remove the old cat and replace it with an approved cat. ExAcTlY!

(3)I would personally stick with the OEM rear cat provided you can still bolt it on. I cancelled my online Titus OEM CAT (I hope..left message Fri night) Bcuz I found Magnaflow in town that supposedly is legal.. I have no bolts (for years)

(4)I would ditch the K&N filter and clean the MAF sensor with CRC MAF cleaner. Why ditch it? Leave the box empty for the test..or put stock filter in? What is CRC?

(5)No muffler shop in California will install/weld on a universal cat unless it is approved for California. ExAcTlY!
OK....What about the Champion spark plugs like the smog tech recommended? That's crazy .. right?

I definitely wanna steam clean my engine (for oil leak VC driver-side) to see about oily coil and fouled plugs comment.

Keep it comin' .. . I feel a possibility of life here! I feel like I'm in an emergency room with many doctors.. . working on my BaBy!

Thanks, Jim
2013 Veloster Red - Driver Now??Dropsprings [1/2" rear, 1" front] with Koni Strut Inserts> Magnaflow Exhaust System> ECUTune Stage 1av1 Upgrade (from 1v4)> ECUTune TCU MOD> Aluminum Crankshaft Pulley> Stainless Brake Lines> Phenolic Spacers> Perforated Brake Rotors (dint like, OEM now)> SmallCar Shift Kit (resting since TCU MOD)> 7-Position Ground System> High-Pressure Fuel Pressure Regulator (resting)> ATF Cooler & Campaign Filter> Yellow Polish Polyurethane Bushings> Pioneer Double-DIN Stereo with JL AUDIO Speakers> Driveshaft Rebuilt with C-Clip U-Joints> 15 Min MOD> 20 Min MOD .. . (2011)
Old 06-28-2009, 10:06 PM

Re: SMOG.. . DeAtH!

I would use a stock paper filter K&N flows more junk into your engine and the oil can mess with the MAF.

CRC MAF cleaner is a safe aerosol cleaner just follow the directions. I would suspect after the K&N it could use a cleaning. Wally world and Kragen sell it $5-6

Stock plugs are fine. I don't remember but do they come pre-gapped?
Old 06-29-2009, 02:54 PM
Collision Refinishing Tech

Registered SVX

Stock pulgs are pre-gapped.
Mods:AWD conversion/4.44 swap by Budfreak, Custom red interior lights, Custom Satin black dash, Power mode switch, Cold air intake, Permecool tranny filter,Sony xplode 10" sub, Sony xplode 1000w amp, Blitz in-line driver, DDM Tuning 6000k HID's, New paint job/body work by me, 97' Grill, QC shift kit, 17'' MB Motoring rims, 15&20 min mod, front & rear urethane swaybar bushings, Custom fiberglass sub box, Custom red led a/c control unit, perrin lightweight crank pulley, Black wrinkle finish powdercoated intake manifold w/ clear hoses , 02' outback heated/power black leather seats
Soon to come:Fiberglass hood, upholster ALL suede to black leather
Past subies:

92' Pearl White/black top LS-L-SOLD
96' Legacy Outback-TOTALED
99' Legacy Outback Limited 30th anniversary edition-TOTALED
98' Forester L -Totaled
Other toys:
99' Forester S -WRX brake upgrade, soon an 04 wrx motor swap
06' B9 Tribeca-Stock
1982' Yamaha xj650 Maxim
Mods:
work in progress
Old 07-01-2009, 08:28 PM
Maniac modifier

Registered SVX Classic SVX

What I am trying to say is that the Magnaflow cats are 50 state legal. just bring them the paperwork that says so

Tom
Old 07-02-2009, 03:56 PM
The Molinator

http://www.car-stuff.com/carparts/su...m66940071.html

Last edited by James Scott; 07-02-2009 at 04:01 PM.
Old 07-02-2009, 04:35 PM
Headin' for the hills

Registered SVX

I'm watching this with interest. My cats are rattling, and I'd like to do a full exhaust setup, but that may prove difficult in the land of the heavy hand. I do know of a few places that will pass any car for $100 cash, but I'd like to be legit if possible.

On the bright side, my buddy's '84 Brat just passed CA emissions with flying colors. Just ran it on the freeway for an hour before going in for his appointment, no CEL, no problems.
'92 LS-L "Bandit" #362 formerly dark teal, repainted by prev owner
Mods: ECUTune 2v7f, Earthworm bushings, Pioneer DVD/Bluetooth phone, Infinity Reference all around, tint, 17" wheels, custom seat belt computer, velcro visor

Buying parts is like car payments. Someday she'll be all mine.
Old 07-02-2009, 04:41 PM
The Molinator

Heh! . . . I just found MY CA legal CAT [Magnaflow # 38037] online:
http://www.simpleautosports.com/inde...sort=4a&page=9
I had it installed Monday through a local warehouse purchase.. . Next >>> My third smog test.. ???

Last edited by James Scott; 07-02-2009 at 04:44 PM.
Old 07-02-2009, 07:20 PM
The Molinator

I hav a GuArAnTeEd PaSs lead also.. . but I hav a mandatory TEST ONLY this time...and they can't touch (repair) your car..or even suggest repairs! SO doubtful thatl work 4me. Waiting.. maybe tomorrow July 4th..I can smog!? Cross your fingers.. AND pray! Ha!
Old 07-03-2009, 03:11 PM
Avalanche Alcyoneer
Subaru Silver Contributor

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by K_Dub View Post
On the bright side, my buddy's '84 Brat just passed CA emissions with flying colors. Just ran it on the freeway for an hour before going in for his appointment, no CEL, no problems.
This is exactly what I was thinking..... get the cats HOT before you go...... even if they are new, they cant usually overcome a combustion problem if you have one..... but getting your engine fully hot can only help.

"A person convinced against their will, is of the same opinion still"

New?? Find the downloadable SVX Online Service Manual Here
RECOMMENDED READING for newer SVX owners Here some cool info if not fully accurate.
Old 07-06-2009, 05:43 PM
The Molinator

Appreciating all your help and comments.. . thot I shud let U NO.. .
I made the following alterations between the 2nd and 3rd SMOG TESTS:
1) Replaced 4 of 6 plugs (old plugs looked "good", brown/tan) with stock NGK.
2) Removed K&N air filter, replaced with stock paper air filter.
3) Sprayed (saw that it cleaned residue!) MAF sensor with CRC MAF spray.
4) Replaced rear cat with CA legal/numbered Magnaflow unit (see pics)

The SMOG TEST (3rd) was an "easy" pass! BUT, since I did 4 things "at once" .. I don't know exactly what "did it" .. . But, happy to pass!

Thanks for all your comments and help! Jim

P.S. For you {CA Drivers} .. and Tom (Ha!) .. . Notice the laser-etched number (on the cat) .. on the box end .. #38037. This is the only CA legal Magnaflow cat for the SVX rear CAT replacement. [SEE PICS]. They have a front CAT too, but don't know how much since I didn't have to install (I almost did!). The rear was about $130 for the part. The muffler man got $100, since he did it after hours.. . He wanted $85, but stayed over just for me!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg CAsmog7.9-2.jpg (234.3 KB, 136 views)
File Type: jpg CAsmog 7.09-1.jpg (328.0 KB, 126 views)

Last edited by James Scott; 07-06-2009 at 05:51 PM. Reason: Add pics...???
Old 07-06-2009, 05:49 PM
Maniac modifier

Registered SVX Classic SVX

Maganflow advertises that their cats are 50 state legal. I was trying to tell you that.

Tom
Old 07-07-2009, 12:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Scott View Post

The SMOG TEST (3rd) was an "easy" pass! BUT, since I did 4 things "at once" .. I don't know exactly what "did it"
Post the new passing numbers.
Old 07-11-2009, 03:08 AM
The Molinator

Talking Re: SMOG.. . DeAtH!.. . . LIFE!!!

PLEASE SEE SMOG RESULTS OF THIRD SMOG TEST EDITED INTO PREVIOUS SMOG DATA "TABLE" IN FIRST ENTRY IN THIS THREAD.. . IN BLUE

WHy can't I get a table [I spent quite alotta time making a table...that didn't show!] when I copy it into Subaru-SVX.net.. ??? YIKES!

Thanks again, Jim
Old 07-13-2009, 09:23 AM
Was MacGyver

Registered SVX

Glad to hear it all worked out Jim!

So you are now full Magnaflow from the 2nd cat all the way back if I'm understanding right?

I'm so glad this one didn't go the route of either be crushed or sent out of state.

I'm taking notes as I will be moving to CA in the future due to priorities (even greater ones than the SVX ) and would really like my car to be able to live with me there too.

I also assume as a last resort there is also some kind of registration for "classics" or "collector vehicle" that would take away any emissions requirements, provided one doesn't need to drive the car many miles per year and can afford another daily driver, etc. At least based on some of the cars I see driving around down there.

1992 SVX LSL "Serenity" 250,000 miles!

I don't care, I'm still free, You can't take the sky from me...