How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 05-26-2009, 09:40 AM
Jordan

Eliminate pre-cat sections. Bad idea?

My down pipes leak where they bolt up to the main cat, and are so bad and weak that they are not repairable. My mechanic says that he can bend pipes to replace these sections, mounting the O2 sensors in their original location and eliminating the 2 pre-cats all together. Are there ANY issues with eliminating the pre-cats, performance or bad exhaust note wise? He said he could do it out of 1 7/8" or 2" vs. the 1 3/4" stock. Any recommendations? Thanks!
Old 05-26-2009, 01:07 PM
Inhabitant of Darkness

Registered SVX
Re: Eliminate pre-cat sections. Bad idea?

some members here has done it before
not sure if it changes anything though ~
1992 Subaru SVX LS~L Ebony Pearl JDM 6MT/DCCD
2007 Subaru Legacy Spec B. Diamond Grey Metallic
Old 05-26-2009, 01:43 PM
15th time is a charm?

Registered SVX

If you are replacing the front pipes, it is strongly suggested to use small cats or pre cats in the new section, otherwise you may have an issue with emissions. If you eliminate the resonator/precat assemblies on the front pipes, you will have an annoying buzz between 2500 and 3000 RPMs. Been there, done that.
Old 05-26-2009, 03:14 PM
Jordan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike621 View Post
otherwise you may have an issue with emissions.
This is on my off-road SVX, not my daily driver. I'm not worried about emissions here, more any negative side effects to eliminating them. Thanks!
Old 05-26-2009, 07:49 PM
Official AutoX Part Breaker
Subaru Gold Contributor

Registered SVX

Serious resonance FTL! Replace them with small SS resonators.
(been there, done that)
-Bill

Most famous NASA "Child" - OSIRIS-REx delivered samples from asteroid BENNU to Earth in Sept. 2023

Center Network Member #989

'92 Fully caged, 5 speed, waiting for its fully built EG33
'92 "Test Mule", 4:44 Auto, JDM 4:44 Rear Diff with Mech LSD, Tuned headers, Full one-off suspension
'92(?) Laguna, 6 spd and other stuff (still at OT's place)
My Locker
Old 05-26-2009, 08:30 PM
Jordan

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVXRide View Post
Serious resonance FTL! Replace them with small SS resonators.
(been there, done that)
-Bill
Could you give me an example of these SS resonators? You say you have taken the pre-cat sections out and replaced with SS resonators? How did it affect the sound of the car? Thanks! Jordan
Old 05-26-2009, 10:36 PM
Super Moderator
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX Classic SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVX Maxximus View Post
Could you give me an example of these SS resonators? You say you have taken the pre-cat sections out and replaced with SS resonators? How did it affect the sound of the car?
Usae the Areo Turbine AR20 resonators from Verocious motorsports. About $52.00 each plus shipping.

1992 Subaru SVX LS-L (OBDI)
Harry Newman "newsvx" has them installed on his 92 pearlie in place of the pre-cats. He has 2" headpipes onto the resonator and 2" pipes out of the resonator into a Magnaflow 94007 high-flow main cat (dual 2" in and single 2.5" out). His use is mainly off-road (autocross) as well.

It does not change the sound or affect the emissions on the 92 (OBDI) cars. Here is a photo of them on Harry's car:

1996 Subaru SVX LSi (OBDII)
I did the exact same setup on my 96 LSi. The OBDII cars are a little more sensitive to not having the front pre-cats in place. About a month after the install, I started getting a CE light about my converter being inefficient (Code 420-- Catalyst System Efficiency Below Threshold - Bank 1).

I removed them and replaced them with Magnaflow universal pre-cats #53104 from Performance Peddler and everything has been operating flawlessly ever since. Their best price is 49.00 each with shipping.

Here are photos of my 96 OBDII with the Aeroturbine AR20 resonators

As I said earlier, the resonators do not change the sound to any degree over the OEM units, they just give the exhaust pulses a place to expand, similar to the pre-cat.

Since they are cheaper, I would go with the Magnaflow pre-cats. That way it is totally emissions compliant, should you ever want to sell the car and need an inspection.

1996 Polo Green LSi #216..138,100 miles...SOLD

JFICX8659TH100216.....Date of Manufacture: November 16, 1995.....
Fuji Heavy Industries..Ōta North Plant....Ōta City,. Gunma Prefecture, Japan

In-Service Date: January 2, 1997

"The Pristine Green Polo Machine”
First Polo Green on the Network
First Clear front turn signals, JDM Alcyone hood emblem, rear panel, and BOXER engine cover on the Network (US) (2000)
First 5000K HID factory fog lights (2007)
First SVX JDM BBS wheels on a USDM SVX (2013)

HID lighting (5000K) for headlight and H3 fog lights, PIAA SuperExtreme 120W high beams, rebuilt EG33 longblock, Cometic head gaskets, Phase II flexplate, AMR aluminum radiator with custom silicone hoses, 160A high-output alternator in aluminum-ceramic coated case, new design alternator wiring upgrade v.4, rare factory headlight protectors, refinished JDM BBS mesh aluminum wheels and custom, polished billet aluminum new hex center caps, LED grille mod, R1 Concepts high-carbon cryo slotted rotors, Akebono ceramic pads, Goodridge S/S braided brake lines, Smallcar Stage 1 shift kit, ThermalTech aluminum/ceramic-coated valve covers, Energy Suspension urethane front & rear swaybar bushings, Bontrager22 rear swaybar with QS Components Chromoly Teflon/Kevlar endlinks, "$15.00/5 minute" suspension mod. Hella Supertone horns, Custom stainless steel exhaust system with 2" headpipes, Magnaflow cats, AeroTurbine AR25 resonator /AWD "Bullet" muffler.

R.I.P. 2010 Subaru Outback Limited 2.5 CVT...338,000 miles. Totaled by a 1,300 lb. COW March 4, 2016

2014 Hyundai Avante Limited ...178,000 miles. Actually quieter and smoother than the Outback

2007 Mazda Miata MX-5 PRHT...102,000 miles.
Plenty of parts, service and windshields.

4th Registered Network member —2/21/2001

My NEW locker..I...My Email..I..Wikipedia/SVX .

Last edited by svxcess; 05-27-2009 at 09:51 PM.
Old 05-26-2009, 10:40 PM
Jordan

THank you SVXCESS! This is exactly the information I needed!
Old 05-26-2009, 11:48 PM
Jordan

I will plan to do 2" off the headers, including the O2 sensors. Then into AeroTurbine AR20 resonators, with more 2" into the main cat. What diameter pipe comes off the main cat headed towards the resonator before the muffler? I would need a Main Cat with that diameter single outlet, and the 2" inlets. Any model suggestions? Is there an O2 sensor on the Main Cat, giving our cars 3 of them? Thanks!
Old 05-27-2009, 12:21 AM
Super Moderator
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Quote:
I will plan to do 2" off the headers, including the O2 sensors. Then into AeroTurbine AR20 resonators, with more 2" into the main cat. What diameter pipe comes off the main cat headed towards the resonator before the muffler? I would need a Main Cat with that diameter single outlet, and the 2" inlets. Any model suggestions? Is there an O2 sensor on the Main Cat, giving our cars 3 of them? Thanks!
The pipe that comes out of the rear of main cat, into athe resonator and all the way back to the rear muffler is 2.5"

The main cat you would need is the Magnaflow 94007, It has dual 2" inlets and a single 2.5" outlet. The 1992 SVX only has the 2 O2 sensors in the headpipes.

The third O2 sensor in the main cat did not show up until OBDII in 1996. That cat would be the 94037 (with the O2 bung)

The stock resonator has been known to fail quite oftenand have broken baffles with age, causing a buzzing or rattling under acceleration about 2500-3000rpm.

The option I used was to replace it with the Aero Turbine AR25 resonator, which is the same inlet/outlet diameter (2.5") as the stock resonator. Welded into the same position as the stock one.

You can see my third O2 sensor mounted in the pipe behind the main cat. Gives a cleaner reading there and is much easier to change than at the top of the cat.

First Clear front turn signals, JDM Alcyone hood emblem, rear panel, and BOXER engine cover on the Network (US) (2000)

HID lighting (5000K) for headlight and H3 fog lights, PIAA SuperExtreme 120W high beams, rebuilt EG33 longblock, Cometic head gaskets, Phase II flexplate, AMR aluminum radiator with custom silicone hoses, 160A high-output alternator in aluminum-ceramic coated case, new design alternator wiring upgrade v.4, rare factory headlight protectors, refinished JDM BBS mesh aluminum wheels and custom, polished billet aluminum new hex center caps, LED grille mod, R1 Concepts high-carbon cryo slotted rotors, Akebono ceramic pads, Goodridge S/S braided brake lines, Smallcar Stage 1 shift kit, ThermalTech aluminum/ceramic-coated valve covers, Energy Suspension urethane front & rear swaybar bushings, Bontrager22 rear swaybar with QS Components Chromoly Teflon/Kevlar endlinks, "$15.00/5 minute" suspension mod. Hella Supertone horns, Custom stainless steel exhaust system with 2" headpipes, Magnaflow cats, AeroTurbine AR25 resonator /AWD "Bullet" muffler.

R.I.P. 2010 Subaru Outback Limited 2.5 CVT...338,000 miles. Totaled by a 1,300 lb. COW March 4, 2016

2014 Hyundai Avante Limited ...178,000 miles. Actually quieter and smoother than the Outback

Last edited by svxcess; 05-27-2009 at 09:42 PM.
Old 05-27-2009, 01:45 PM
Jordan

Quote:
Originally Posted by svxcess View Post
The main cat you would need is the Magnaflow 94037, It has dual 2" inlets and a single 2.5" outlet. The 1992 SVX only has the 2 O2 sensors in the headpipes.

The third O2 sensor in the main cat did not show up until OBDII in 1996. That cat would be the 94007 (with the O2 bung)
I believe you have the model numbers mixed up for which has the O2 sensor. I am considering having my exhaust guy make the cat back, or else get AWD's cat back system. Is it diffacult to have someone unfamiliar with the SVX bend the pipes correctly to clear the differential etc, so that nothing touches and nothing is so low to the ground that it drags?, I have drop springs.
Old 05-27-2009, 09:50 PM
Super Moderator
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Quote:
I believe you have the model numbers mixed up for which has the O2 sensor.
You are correct and I have since fixed my post.

The 94007 is the OBDI cat for the 1992-1995 SVX, Dual 2" inlet, single 2.5" outlet.

The 94037 is the OBDII cat for the 1996-97 cars. Same configuration, but with the O2 boss at the front of the cat.