How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 05-23-2009, 05:17 PM

Registered SVX
EGR temp sensor cleaned

So I cleaned what I believe to be the EGR temp sensor. Here are some pics. I hope my occasional code 56 disappears now.

Kool Blue air filter, 4500k HID's, airbox mod, Hella horns, WRX 6 disc stereo, Infinity Reference and Clarion Pro Audio speakers, Infinity basslink sub, ECUtune Stage 1v5, ECUtune TCU, Power mode mod, Mad muffler mod v1.3
Old 05-23-2009, 06:41 PM
51 Club

Registered SVX
Re: EGR temp sensor cleaned

Quite the difference, hope it works. I think I'll try it on my Outback, if it has one I can find. I have an occassional EGR code and I've swapped all the components for known working ones from my parts car.
Old 05-23-2009, 09:09 PM
look like a leprechaun to me

Holy crap! With all that stuff on there, there's no way it was working right. I have a code 55 and 56 popping up myself, I'll have to take a look at mine tomorrow. Hopefully cleaning that fixes it.
Old 05-24-2009, 06:46 AM

Registered SVX

So here's another question. When I pulled the sensor out to clean it I looked down inside where the sensor mounts and it looked as bad as the sensor did. Could I spray some carb cleaner down inside there or would all of the gunk get sucked right into the EGR valve and cause problems with it once I started the engine?
Kool Blue air filter, 4500k HID's, airbox mod, Hella horns, WRX 6 disc stereo, Infinity Reference and Clarion Pro Audio speakers, Infinity basslink sub, ECUtune Stage 1v5, ECUtune TCU, Power mode mod, Mad muffler mod v1.3
Old 05-26-2009, 06:58 PM

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by svxash View Post
So here's another question. When I pulled the sensor out to clean it I looked down inside where the sensor mounts and it looked as bad as the sensor did. Could I spray some carb cleaner down inside there or would all of the gunk get sucked right into the EGR valve and cause problems with it once I started the engine?
That's the EGR temp sensor allright, mine was every bit as bad. It's not hard to access and clean, hope that get's the code for ya.

I wouldn't spray in there without everything EGR and control valve & hoses being off to drain. Even then, you might just make a lump of gunk in there that breaks loose at a bad time.

I'm thinking regular use of injector cleaner in the gas and name-brand gas with "techroline" or the equivalent is a better way to reduce engine deposits. I've become a believer recently after taking my intake off for new vacuum hoses. I cleaned the throttle body good, but the intake was not the best, including the other side of the manifold leading down to the valves. It may not reach all the way thru the EGR system, but its a start...
Old 05-26-2009, 07:03 PM
Happy SVX
Subaru Silver Contributor

Registered SVX

What did you use to clean it? Does it just wipe it off or do you need a solvent?
1992 SVX LSL 5-Speed Sold at 180K 2019
1995 SVX Lsi Polo Sold at 118K 2007
Old 05-26-2009, 10:29 PM

Registered SVX

It just wiped off.
Old 05-27-2009, 09:13 AM

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean486 View Post
What did you use to clean it? Does it just wipe it off or do you need a solvent?
I took the throttle body off entirely from the intake and sprayed/wiped it down w/carb cleaner. Cleaned up really well. The intake manifold itself would best be cleaned by immersion in solvent, which means you'd first have to remove every hose & solenoid, and then hope you get no dirt into the fuel injection lines. I just put it back together and decided to try some name-brand gas...
Old 09-01-2009, 01:29 PM
Avalanche Alcyoneer

Registered SVX

I thought id add my experience to this thread, since Ive seen a lot of Code 56 issues.

If your EGR temp sensor looks anything like the original posters, you can be assured the piping from the EGR valve to the sensor, and from the sensor to the intake tube to the manifold, look identical. After I removed my EGR valve, I sprayed Brakeleen, using the straw stuck into the top hole and fed into the tube running downwards, and the result was a large mass of black goop and grit coming from the base where the EGR valve sits. I mean TONS of crap.

After that was cleared out, I took a hard plastic weed-eater line and carefully pipe-snaked the tube that went the other direction toward the intake manifold... the reason being I didnt want to spray brakeleen into that side and force the grit and crap into my intake and engine. I fed the line in (with a little crook in the end to scrape up stuff), and after it went far enough in (no more resistance), I pulled it out slowly using a twisting motion. It took about 30 repetitions until the line came out without tons of black grit and goo..... the EGR tubing had been plugged up this whole time with this crap.

This has since FINALLY rid me of the EGR code 56.... as the temp sensor could not detect any temperatur change since there was no exhaust gasses flowing by it, since it was completely clogged. I would recommend anyone with a 56 code inspect the temp sensor porting, its almost assured it is clogged with crap after 11-17 years. This should be done, along with inspecting the flow through the vacuum lines to the EGR vacuum control, before blowing money on replacement parts. Hopefully this helps someone else out, because having an eternal MIL is a pain in the ace and ive noticed a lot of EGR related issues here.

"A person convinced against their will, is of the same opinion still"

New?? Find the downloadable SVX Online Service Manual Here
RECOMMENDED READING for newer SVX owners Here some cool info if not fully accurate.
Old 09-01-2009, 04:18 PM
Happy SVX

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCal LS-L View Post
I thought id add my experience to this thread, since Ive seen a lot of Code 56 issues.

If your EGR temp sensor looks anything like the original posters, you can be assured the piping from the EGR valve to the sensor, and from the sensor to the intake tube to the manifold, look identical. After I removed my EGR valve, I sprayed Brakeleen, using the straw stuck into the top hole and fed into the tube running downwards, and the result was a large mass of black goop and grit coming from the base where the EGR valve sits. I mean TONS of crap.

After that was cleared out, I took a hard plastic weed-eater line and carefully pipe-snaked the tube that went the other direction toward the intake manifold... the reason being I didnt want to spray brakeleen into that side and force the grit and crap into my intake and engine. I fed the line in (with a little crook in the end to scrape up stuff), and after it went far enough in (no more resistance), I pulled it out slowly using a twisting motion. It took about 30 repetitions until the line came out without tons of black grit and goo..... the EGR tubing had been plugged up this whole time with this crap.

This has since FINALLY rid me of the EGR code 56.... as the temp sensor could not detect any temperatur change since there was no exhaust gasses flowing by it, since it was completely clogged. I would recommend anyone with a 56 code inspect the temp sensor porting, its almost assured it is clogged with crap after 11-17 years. This should be done, along with inspecting the flow through the vacuum lines to the EGR vacuum control, before blowing money on replacement parts. Hopefully this helps someone else out, because having an eternal MIL is a pain in the ace and ive noticed a lot of EGR related issues here.
Does the intake manifold need to be removed to do all this. By the way, my car is a 92 and doesn't have the EGR Temp Sensor in the picture.
Old 09-01-2009, 04:56 PM
Avalanche Alcyoneer

Registered SVX

Quote:
Does the intake manifold need to be removed to do all this. By the way, my car is a 92 and doesn't have the EGR Temp Sensor in the picture.
Nope, just the black plastic intake ducting and the EGR valve itself. Mines a 92 also.... You dont have the sensor? Whats where the sensor goes in the pic?

RECOMMENDED READING for newer SVX owners Here some cool info if not fully accurate.
Old 09-01-2009, 06:03 PM
Happy SVX

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCal LS-L View Post
Nope, just the black plastic intake ducting and the EGR valve itself. Mines a 92 also.... You dont have the sensor? Whats where the sensor goes in the pic?
Looks the same but no wire, just a smooth bolt head. When I asked one of the SVX gurus about it, I was told that the early cars didn't have that sensor.
Old 09-01-2009, 06:40 PM
Avalanche Alcyoneer

Registered SVX

Quote:
Looks the same but no wire, just a smooth bolt head. When I asked one of the SVX gurus about it, I was told that the early cars didn't have that sensor.
Interesting, mine is California emissions though, maybe thats why I have the temp sensor. My code hasnt returned yet... I dont know that you even need to worry about it then, unless you have an emissions issue.

Old 02-15-2010, 12:29 PM

Help...I have a 96 LSi...where is the temp sensor? Mine is not in the same location as pictured in this thread. Keep getting egr codes at 150 miles after reset. Egr vacuum is ok.
Old 02-15-2010, 08:01 PM
Avalanche Alcyoneer

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by BDSDC View Post
Help...I have a 96 LSi...where is the temp sensor? Mine is not in the same location as pictured in this thread. Keep getting egr codes at 150 miles after reset. Egr vacuum is ok.
Yours may be at the EGR itself. If cleaning it doesnt help.... then the EGR passage should be cleaned out to restore EGR flow into the intake manifold. This requires removal of the manifold.