Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble

Old 05-14-2009, 08:00 PM

Re: Need Good exhaust pic..

I realize it isn't the same thing... but my Legacy has an aftermarket cat-back... which is a Y-pipe design with dual mufflers.

It came with a hacked-up one with knock-off flowmasters and a chopped out resonator, and it was LOUD. Like half-a-mile-away obvious kind of loud. I drove the car home 1400 miles, and then for a couple of months that way... and it was rough.

I replaced the whole cat-back with Megan Racing Legacy parts, with a 4" diameter resonator in 3" pipework, splitting to two 2.5" turns, into two magnaflow mufflers with integrated double-wall round slash-cut tips.

Exhaust parts
Exhaust installed

I like the way it sounds. To get the Y-pipe flange to muffler connections, the driver's side has to take a significantly tight bend... that isn't utterly ideal, and offset inlet mufflers would have been better than the center-inlet mufflers that I used, but then I would have had to have the tips joined to the mufflers, rather than manufactured together.

I've been wanting to put a 3" bellmouth down-pipe with a high flow cat on the car to finish the turbo-back, but I haven't been able to justify the cash yet... always something taking it before discretionary spending...

The sound is actually a little too rumbly for me, when the car is cold. It is actually demonstrably louder at idle when the exhaust is cold, than when it warms up. It goes from a growl to more of a purr. I wish it purred at idle all the time. It does really growl on throttle, and that is very nice, I almost use it instead of the pathetic horn. And it is well in the background at highway speeds, unlike the hacked system that droned like crazy.

With the SVX being non-turbocharged, and not as drastically un-equal in header length as the EJ turbo, it probably sounds different anyway... But sometimes an NA engine can sound better than a turbocharged engine anyway.

A little less overt growl and uneven pulse at idle than my Legacy has, and a little more european-style full throttle scream might be nice.

I heard someone describe a ferrari or something once like the sound of fine italian silk being ripped apart. The Stebro system somewhat approaches what I imagine that sounds like... Something more Ferrari and less Ford Mustang with flowmasters.

I wonder how that is done, in respect to baffling and silencer design... Most of the Stebro system pics show four pipes, two per side, with several dual inlet and dual outlet pipes... I wonder if that is for sound, or merely for ground clearance, to avoid having 4" down-spout sized exhaust pipes per side...

- Stebro's Ferrari 250 system... lots of pipes.

On the topic of tips, these seem like they would be a nice fit for SVX... a bit bigger and bolder than stock, would fit well with the bumper cover, but not crazy.http://www.streetbeatcustoms.com/AA/...p-2.25/549730/

Last edited by BoxerFanatic; 05-14-2009 at 10:13 PM.
Old 05-18-2009, 07:49 AM
My car's Italian, right?

Send a message via AIM to Tim
Re: Need Good exhaust pic..

Quote:
Originally Posted by jokethis89 View Post
Oh you should do it like mine!

That is the way

How long have you been driving with 2 different sets of tires? Is your AWD still functioning properly?
2012 Camry V6 SE