How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble

Old 03-07-2009, 04:24 PM

Send a message via AIM to Wolfy
Cool restoring my stock rims :)

well not so much as restoring but making them look much better than they did. the center caps were worn to the ugly beige and the rims themselves had scratches, rubs and grey-outs all over them from the previous owner. so i decided to resore and repaint them but im making them a glossy pale gold. sort of like the gold rims on most older wrx models. but im using the stock svx rims i should have pics up by tomorow, but in the meantime feel free to leave me any opinions or tips on what to do. this is going to be a 4 day job since i can only do 1 rim a day lol but ill update every day... any questions?
Old 03-07-2009, 06:32 PM
I'm the anti-do-gooder

Re: restoring my stock rims :)

Stock rims on our cars fail. Just get some new ones, most of us do.
Old 03-07-2009, 06:47 PM

Thumbs down Re: restoring my stock rims :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ownbot View Post
Stock rims on our cars fail. Just get some new ones, most of us do.
you have to remember that not all of us use 100 dollar bills for toilet paper my friend. im on a budget
Old 03-07-2009, 07:03 PM
51 Club

Registered SVX

Sand and prep them well. Get all the old oxidation off and they should turn out great. I did my '97 Outback rims last year in gunmetal and they look excellent.
Before

After
Old 03-07-2009, 07:08 PM

wow those look great blacky ill be sure to put up before and after pics tomorrow ok? i wetsanded mine with 1200 grit and used a primer designed for high gloss or something like that its in its 1st coat of gold right now im doing 2 more tomorrow if the weathers nice
Old 03-08-2009, 11:06 AM
I'm the anti-do-gooder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfy View Post
you have to remember that not all of us use 100 dollar bills for toilet paper my friend. im on a budget
Why would you think that I use 100 doller bills for toilet paper? Check the people with sigs that have like 37 cars listed, they have money, not me. I was just trying to say that you can pick up a set (even used) for really cheap most of the time. Remember, a lot of people get a new car that there current aftermarket rims don't fit. They are always willing to sell then cheap. And think of the time and money you will put into this project and the results you want. It may look good for a while but mother nature will surely take your new finish off in time. If you actually like the stock wheels then it may make sense to refinish them. I have always hated the stock wheels so I would not spend a dime on them. Just my 2cents. Good luck with whatever you do.
Old 03-09-2009, 01:48 AM
Missing in action

Send a message via AIM to It's Just Eric
Registered SVX

Quote:
Why would you think that I use 100 doller bills for toilet paper? Check the people with sigs that have like 37 cars listed, they have money, not me. I was just trying to say What about me and my blue collar? JUICE SPRINGSTIEN!! They are always willing to sell then cheap. And think of the time and money you will put into this project and the results you wants mother natures like "Slooooow dowwwn" and you'll be like F&#@ YOU! and kick her in the face with your ENERGY LEGS!. If you actually like RAWBERRY!!! then it may make sense to have 400 babies. I have always hated the stock wheels so I would not spend a dime on them. Just my 2cents. 2 cents is within budget but a dime is pushing it. Good luck with whatever you do.
Something something...

biggest thing is to have everything sanded smooth. Chips and scratches sanded untill you can't feel them....start with a heavy grit and work your way up.Id say 600 grit is pretty fair for finishing before the basecoat. 1200 is usually used more for removing imperfections from the clear coat before buffing or blending applications.
Post pictures when they are done
You're gone but not forgotten. I mean, sure, I kindof don't remember some of the finer details..but I remember you were funny, and at one point you said spaghetti in Dutch....but definantly not forgotten

Old 03-09-2009, 02:40 PM
I'm the anti-do-gooder

Quote:
Originally Posted by It's Just Eric View Post
Something something...

biggest thing is to have everything sanded smooth. Chips and scratches sanded untill you can't feel them you've had the worst..now try the thirst, QUENCHER!!!....start with a heavy grit and work your way up.Id say use shocklet!! its like adding chocolate to an electricial storm!!600 grit is pretty fair for finishing before using your glowing sweat for the basecoat. 1200 is usually used more for bear blasting, a sport you'll invent casue you'll be too enterjetic for normal sports!!!.removing imperfections from the clear coat before buffing or blending applications. Powerthirst will make you win at everything forever!! Running, football, arson, weddings, and art!!
Post pictures when they are done

Something something...
Old 03-09-2009, 03:06 PM

Send a message via AIM to Green1995SVX Send a message via Yahoo to Green1995SVX
Registered SVX Classic SVX

I used the duplicolor gunmetal spray paint on my old A4. They came out very nicely. Easy touch-up if you re-curb them, too.

2001 Audi S8