SVX or Subaru Links
Old Lockers
Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble

View Poll Results: What to do with this car?
Take parts off as needed until I have the means to fix it up. 9 25.71%
Completely part-out and take the frame in for scrap. 7 20.00%
Track car. 7 20.00%
Try to clean up and get roadworthy asap. 12 34.29%
Voters: 35. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-05-2009, 02:32 PM
Subaru Silver Contributor

Registered SVX
Re: Possibly worst shape SVX ever???

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoxerFanatic View Post
is the chassis straight? Lots of rust? blue or brown glass?

My car has somewhat repaired damage, and it isn't completely straight, but it does seem relatively rust free.

The problems are that I have nothing to tow a spare shell like that with...
What was wrong with the car that it became a parts donor, rather than a repairable?

Someday I want to restore an SVX... but I want it to start from a straight and relatively clean (not rotted/rusted, nor bent) body. Black is a fine color to start with, to paint over.

I have a brother-in-law who is a body-tech, who I would have do the work anyway... and maybe even have him store it until I am ready to start, and then once the chassis is prepped and ready for paint, start putting parts on, or even start stripping down my car, or another non-straight-body car, to re-build a show car from the ground up...

But I am not sure that this would be the right foundation for such a car... and the logistics of moving it from Wisconsin to Nebraska... I know of a truck that I might be able to use, but I don't know of a flat-bed trailer to use... and I don't have the budget to start working on anything right now.

I feel a lot like you do, Nate, I wish I had the resources to operate a salvage and rescue operation for any and all of these cars, but some things just aren't feasible on a shoe-string, with no preparation.
Well I do have access to a truck and trailer to haul it to anyone for the price of gas (get about 12mpg with the trailer) but they would then need to have a way of getting it off the trailer. It is very straight, has the blue tint glass and I can get up close pics of the start of rust on the quarter panels.

As i said in this thread, it hadn't been driven in over 3 years due to electrical issues, and a broken flexplate. The reason I decided to part it out was
a) there were wires hacked up under the hood and as i tore it apart, behind the dash as well
b) the windshield is cracked although it seemed to have been sealed somehow but still not legal in WI
c) My friends dad was sick of having it sitting around for months and did not want it sitting around for a couple years which is how long it would take me to really tackle all of the issues it had with my currently limited funds.

I came across this car by posting that I needed some parts in the wanted thread and was sent a PM that I could have this car (which had the parts i needed) for very cheap and they had already begun dismantling some parts due to the electrical issues and flexplate and it had been sitting in their barn for over 2 years and they basically just wanted it gone. The transmission and engine condition are completely unknown other than it was on the road 3 years ago.

It was already destined to be a part out but I thought that it may be possible to save it which could've easily happened if I could truely store it with no problems, had the money to put into it, and could work on it whenever i feel like it which is tough seeing as it is located 20 miles from me.
Old 08-05-2009, 02:53 PM
word words wording

Send a message via AIM to SomethingElse Send a message via MSN to SomethingElse

why cant I vote on this poll??

Rebuilt P/S pump info... http://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=50918

If your car wont start info... http://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/show...ighlight=click
Old 08-05-2009, 03:42 PM

I live in central Iowa...

But my brother in law who would be the one to prep and paint the car, is actually in eastern Nebraska... so gas would be a bit of cash...

My grand-dad has a truck in eastern Iowa that I could probably use for the asking, but I don't know if they have a trailer suitable for that use... and I would probably end up spending about the same amount for gas, round trip.

and I don't have access to much in terms of body dollies, or a fork-lift to move a non-rolling chassis around, or off of a trailer.

It is tempting... but the logistics would be a challenge. And just as I don't have enough to pay for your Cadence speakers, I don't have a ton of money to work with on something like this...

But a nearly free chassis has some ideas going through my head... And the picture of Siowulf's bright blue/black japanese SVX is on my computer desktop beckoning me to get an SVX body painted blue, under a black roof...

How imminent is it that this thing has to move? days, weeks, or months?

------------

1992 Claret SVX. Rescued from certain destruction, and still on the road, where it belongs. Waiting for a bit of a makeover, when I can afford it.
2005 Garnet Red Pearl Legacy GT Limited 5-speed. - The late great Subaru sport touring sedan.
1999 Classic Red Miata, Preferred equipment package 5-speed. Fun, fun, fun, in the Sun, sun, sun.
Old 08-05-2009, 06:11 PM
Subaru Silver Contributor

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoxerFanatic View Post
How imminent is it that this thing has to move? days, weeks, or months?
I could probably delay it for about a month, maybe 2 tops... I'll be going back out there on Saturday to work on my friends rolled Jeep and can get some pics of the rust areas and try to get some pics of the underbody. Also just an FYI to people, I'd be giving up over $100 in scrap value by giving the car away for free if it means it eventually having life of some sort.
If I had somewhere to keep it, really keep it(indoors out of the elements), I'd store it until I had money and found a wrecked car to get and swap everything in.
Old 08-05-2009, 10:21 PM

Once that sheetmetal is crushed, it won't be made back into SVX panels again.

This is tempting... but I am going to have to give it some serious, non-wishful thinking... my eyes have a tendency to be bigger than my appetite, sometimes.

------------

1992 Claret SVX. Rescued from certain destruction, and still on the road, where it belongs. Waiting for a bit of a makeover, when I can afford it.
2005 Garnet Red Pearl Legacy GT Limited 5-speed. - The late great Subaru sport touring sedan.
1999 Classic Red Miata, Preferred equipment package 5-speed. Fun, fun, fun, in the Sun, sun, sun.