Live Chat!
SVX or Subaru Links
Old Lockers
Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > MOD Mania > Interior Mods
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-25-2007, 02:40 PM
Subaru Bronze Contributor

Send a message via ICQ to sicksubie Send a message via AIM to sicksubie Send a message via Skype™ to sicksubie
Schroth 4 point harnesses

I installed my 4 point harnesses this morning. The install took about 30 minutes or so, but was easier because my back seat is already out. Here are some pics...

Shoulder belts are connected where the rear seat buckles bolt in. you simply replace the stock bolt with a ring bolt.....

2017 Ford Raptor
2017 Kawasaki KLR
1995 Guards Red Carrera
1995 Spec-ish Miata - track car
1957 CJ-5
Old 12-25-2007, 03:34 PM
Locker Link Solution

looks good bobby.

Would adding a heavy bracket to push the rings out to the point you can snap the harness on without removing the rear seat/buckles be legal?
In progess: track down mystery noise <-identified, paint the new dash, get better pic
Spring plans: Replace Trans - Integrate ECU with the carputer - Suspension - Go back to STI Filter - Paint? Maybe not - Next Oil change: Purolator L30165

Member #995 | My Locker | My New Locker

Catch you next at: ? Auto-X ?
Old 12-25-2007, 04:33 PM
Official AutoX Part Breaker
Subaru Gold Contributor

Registered SVX
Bobby,
"Danger Will Robinson, Danger!!" Shoulder harnesses should have their attachment point at the same level as the top of your shoulders or they can actually impart serious damage on your body in the event of an accident. I'd suggest using the anchor point for the baby car seat that's located on the rear deck, as it will keep the belts ~ parallel with the floor of the car.
-Bill

Most famous NASA "Child" - OSIRIS-REx delivered samples from asteroid BENNU to Earth in Sept. 2023

Center Network Member #989

'92 Fully caged, 5 speed, waiting for its fully built EG33
'92 "Test Mule", 4:44 Auto, JDM 4:44 Rear Diff with Mech LSD, Tuned headers, Full one-off suspension
'92(?) Laguna, 6 spd and other stuff (still at OT's place)
My Locker
Old 12-25-2007, 04:36 PM

Send a message via ICQ to sicksubie Send a message via AIM to sicksubie Send a message via Skype™ to sicksubie
Really now.... I installed per Schroth instructions that came with it...
2017 Ford Raptor
2017 Kawasaki KLR
1995 Guards Red Carrera
1957 CJ-5
Old 12-25-2007, 04:39 PM

I also do not know if this is important or not but these shoulder straps actually have a tear away feature. In the event of an accident (one that would throw you foward) the outside shoulder strap actually will tear away allowing your body a few inches of forward movement giving a cushioning effect. The strength of the stitching is based on your weight.
2017 Ford Raptor
2017 Kawasaki KLR
1995 Guards Red Carrera
1957 CJ-5
Old 12-25-2007, 04:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedklix View Post
looks good bobby.

Would adding a heavy bracket to push the rings out to the point you can snap the harness on without removing the rear seat/buckles be legal?
I could still have my rear buckles in if I wanted to. However there are no seat belts back there at all. Nobody rides back there ever so I removed them along with stripping the trunk out.
2017 Ford Raptor
2017 Kawasaki KLR
1995 Guards Red Carrera
1957 CJ-5
Old 12-25-2007, 05:09 PM
Subaru Gold Contributor

Registered SVX
Bobby,
Right out of the Schroth installation instructions:

SHOULDER BELT ROUTING
􀂾 Shoulder belts must run from the shoulders horizontally or down, at no
more than a 20° angle.
􀂾 In cases where the shoulder belts must be routed down to the chassis
floor, support by a roll cage bar or harness guide at the appropriate
height is essential to establish the horizontal shoulder strap routing off
the shoulder/HANS®. Most racing seats are not designed and tested to
carry shoulder belt crash loads from downward installation. Severe
injury or death could result. A 45° downward shoulder belt installation is
possible with seats that SCHROTH has positively tested to take a load
measured during a 50 kph [31 mph] and 28 G impact. Refer to the list
of SCHROTH approved racing seats in section “Bolts, Seats and Stuff”.
WARNING: 45° downward shoulder belt installation must never be
used with HANS®.

You really, really need to change the anchor points.
-Bill

Most famous NASA "Child" - OSIRIS-REx delivered samples from asteroid BENNU to Earth in Sept. 2023

'92 "Test Mule", 4:44 Auto, JDM 4:44 Rear Diff with Mech LSD, Tuned headers, Full one-off suspension
My Locker
Old 12-25-2007, 05:49 PM
Locker Link Solution

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVXRide View Post
I'd suggest using the anchor point for the baby car seat that's located on the rear deck
Great tip!

I think bobby is putting bride seats in, so if his seat is listed these mount points would be good, yes? just no good with the current setup.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sicksubie View Post
I could still have my rear buckles in if I wanted to. However there are no seat belts back there at all. Nobody rides back there ever so I removed them along with stripping the trunk out.
Just checking for people like me who hope to keep interior and want to just snap the harness in on the weekend without ripping stuff out. Leaving it in might look cool though I guess
In progess: track down mystery noise <-identified, paint the new dash, get better pic
Spring plans: Replace Trans - Integrate ECU with the carputer - Suspension - Go back to STI Filter - Paint? Maybe not - Next Oil change: Purolator L30165

Last edited by Speedklix; 12-25-2007 at 05:52 PM.
Old 12-25-2007, 06:03 PM

wow... my instructions do not say that anywhere... In addition to the instructions I also followed a DIY on NASIOC for installation of 4 point harnesses. Where are the mounting points you are talking about, Bill? I will be putting a rear seat back in too when I am done. Would that not interfere? Also this belt is only used during auto-x's where an accident is extremely unlikely. I will not be wearing this while just daily driving. So, based on that the seatbelt is more for holding me in the seat than for actual safety reasons (that would change if I were to run at Lime Rock though)

Mike, the shoulder belts have the release snaps but the lap belts do not. The inside belt attaches to where the seat bolts to the center hump and the outside one bolts to the seat belt mounting bolt. So, you would still have the lap belts to contend with during the non-race times.
2017 Ford Raptor
2017 Kawasaki KLR
1995 Guards Red Carrera
1957 CJ-5
Old 12-25-2007, 06:23 PM
Locker Link Solution

Quote:
Mike, the shoulder belts have the release snaps but the lap belts do not. The inside belt attaches to where the seat bolts to the center hump and the outside one bolts to the seat belt mounting bolt. So, you would still have the lap belts to contend with during the non-race times.
Aha.. well at least it would still be easy to stuff them under the seat.

Old 12-25-2007, 06:31 PM
Locker Link Solution

Quote:
Where are the mounting points you are talking about, Bill? I will be putting a rear seat back in too when I am done. Would that not interfere?
the impreza one would probably cause an issue, unless you're okay with the slack that would be added to snake the belts around/over the seatback. Or did you get it to fold down? If it folds down, then I imagine you'd be good.

Old 12-25-2007, 06:45 PM

I am putting a stock back seat in....
2017 Ford Raptor
2017 Kawasaki KLR
1995 Guards Red Carrera
1957 CJ-5
Old 12-25-2007, 06:56 PM

http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/show....php?t=1359814
2017 Ford Raptor
2017 Kawasaki KLR
1995 Guards Red Carrera
1957 CJ-5
Old 12-25-2007, 08:16 PM
Subaru Gold Contributor

Registered SVX

Bobby,
I had my machinist/welder fabricate a bracket to extend the attachment point forward as the shoulder harnesses weren't long enough to reach all the way back. I also had the rear seat modified by the same woman who recovered by Corbeau seats.
-Bill

My Locker

Last edited by SVXRide; 12-25-2007 at 08:23 PM.
Old 12-25-2007, 08:20 PM

pics dont work.....

and what do you mean "extend forward"?
2017 Ford Raptor
2017 Kawasaki KLR
1995 Guards Red Carrera
1957 CJ-5