How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 12-01-2007, 07:34 PM

Send a message via AIM to redlinedeath Send a message via Yahoo to redlinedeath
yes, yes, ANOTHER ram air thread

alright, so im toying with ideas for an intake on my sitting on jackstands svx. i was thinking something along the lines of xxtunings eg33 powered impreza, but dont want to deal with the changeing to MAP sensor, and required things, and wouldnt be able to get a strut tower brace in there then, and useing a maf sensor with that style would require waaay tomany sharp bends in the tubing, and to little clearance. so i was thinking of doing the tomyx intake idea(or the actual piece) running to the maf, that ataches to an air box that hasthe flat panel filter sitting on top, that is force fed air via a side mounted scoop or a custom NACA duct, though i dont know if this will produce enough pressure, but am hopefull. anyhow, when the hood closes, it will seal the scoop/duct channel with the top of the air box, with the filter sitting on top, and the maf sensor attached to the back of the box, makeing a relitively not very "bendy" intake with good air flow. any ideas, comments, flames or anything? im heading out for my daily coffee, cigerettes and conversation break right now, ill draw a diagram as to explain whats going on exactly incase anyone is wondering. i know, intakes can be a contraversial subject, but isnt experimentation one of the best parts of owning this car?!?!
Old 12-01-2007, 09:23 PM
Official AutoX Part Breaker
Subaru Gold Contributor

Registered SVX
Ram air on the SVX is rather limited due to the low hood line and the rear mounted TB. This doesn't mean there aren't those of us that are looking at ways around these limitations
-Bill

Most famous NASA "Child" - OSIRIS-REx delivered samples from asteroid BENNU to Earth in Sept. 2023

Center Network Member #989

'92 Fully caged, 5 speed, waiting for its fully built EG33
'92 "Test Mule", 4:44 Auto, JDM 4:44 Rear Diff with Mech LSD, Tuned headers, Full one-off suspension
'92(?) Laguna, 6 spd and other stuff (still at OT's place)
My Locker
Old 12-01-2007, 10:27 PM

alright, so i drew this out while enjoying some delicious coffee(not really, it was terrible, if your ever in kenosha, wi, dont go out to marina gardens on the lake front, its like motor oil) anyhow, the pictures arent very good, as its been over a year since i tried to draw out anything technical, or draw out anything for that matter. the hood design hasnt been fully thought out, i was working mainly on the intake itself. if anyone has any comments, good, bad or worse, and any suggestions or input, please do so, as i would like everyones opinion. the top of the airbox will be sealed to some sort of air tunnel drawing air directly from outside. ill have a cap off for any heavy rain/snow etc. sorry its so big, i wanted to make sure my writing was legibe

Old 12-01-2007, 10:28 PM

well, i guess technically, this wouldnt be ram air, or would it?
Old 12-02-2007, 08:39 PM

*bump*
really, no comments? flames? advice? nothing?
Old 12-02-2007, 09:34 PM
Missing in action

Send a message via AIM to It's Just Eric
Registered SVX
So basicly it's similar to the stock design, but rather than the piping continuing into the fender, you'd like it to seal against the hood and put a scoop in?
It seems like it would work well. I like the airbox D design, it seems about as well thought out as possible.

I say go for it. get some materials and spend a few days crafting, fitting, re-designing, ect.
You're gone but not forgotten. I mean, sure, I kindof don't remember some of the finer details..but I remember you were funny, and at one point you said spaghetti in Dutch....but definantly not forgotten

Old 12-02-2007, 09:43 PM

pretty much, i think id need the tomyx intake to smoothout the airs transition as much as possible, and some slight variations to intake box idea D. outside of that, i dont think the top mount can be done. not without skimping on the maf sensor. i think if the scoop is done right, ill actually get pretty good induction through there. maybe some pressure differances will cause i slight surge in air pressure going in there. i cant weld, and dont know anyone who can, so i was thinking of fabricating the box out of those pre made sheets of carbon fiber, cutting the sides and bottom from a template, and find a way to join it all together without makeing it look like crap. well see, i think thats what route im going to take.
Old 12-03-2007, 07:07 AM
Official AutoX Part Breaker
Subaru Gold Contributor

Registered SVX
check out my locker for pics of a true ram air...I've been running it for over 2 years with no issues. I actually instrumented it when I first put it in to confirm that it actually works (~5-10 hp once you get over 30-40 mph).
-Bill

Most famous NASA "Child" - OSIRIS-REx delivered samples from asteroid BENNU to Earth in Sept. 2023

Center Network Member #989

'92 Fully caged, 5 speed, waiting for its fully built EG33
'92 "Test Mule", 4:44 Auto, JDM 4:44 Rear Diff with Mech LSD, Tuned headers, Full one-off suspension
'92(?) Laguna, 6 spd and other stuff (still at OT's place)
My Locker
Old 12-03-2007, 08:29 AM
Old Timer (age that is)

Send a message via Yahoo to lhopp77
Registered SVX
Caps?

The "shift" key on either side of your keyboard permits you to start each sentence with a capital letter. Just in case you missed them.

Lee
96 SVX LSi Red
92 SVX LS Pearl (Parts)
01 F150 4X4 Red
(+6 with other members of the family)

FREEDOM IS NOT FREE
Old 12-03-2007, 06:34 PM

actually, my keyboard is only space, enter, numbers and letters. no symbols or anything.
Old 12-03-2007, 06:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVXRide View Post
check out my locker for pics of a true ram air...I've been running it for over 2 years with no issues. I actually instrumented it when I first put it in to confirm that it actually works (~5-10 hp once you get over 30-40 mph).
-Bill

i actually like the way yours is set up. i dont have the stock airbox anylonger, as when my brother ownedthe car, we put in a hot air intake. realistically, its an enormous vacuum leak.
Old 12-03-2007, 06:39 PM
Maniac modifier

Registered SVX Classic SVX
hehehe don't let the old timer's get to ya. wtfroflolbbq

Tom
Old 12-03-2007, 06:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomsSVX View Post
hehehe don't let the old timer's get to ya. wtfroflolbbq

Tom
lol, i like this forum and the members to much to get seriously mad. to be honest, my last computer had an auto caps feature, that did auto indents also, i dont know what program it was, but i gut used to that doing everything for me. then got my new (used) computer. yep, im a lazy ass