Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 11-17-2007, 12:38 PM

No more Christmas tree lights

Just installed it - and replaced the PVC valve while it was out since I could reach through the intake and help spin the valve off and the new one on again.

None of the parts stores had it in stock and said they couldn't get one until Monday. Rockauto.com has them in stock and the closest warehouse is in Smyrna, TN. UPS ground from Smyrna to Knoxville is like getting overnite delivery for the price of ground (~$8) - ordered it Thursday afternoon and it was at my door Friday afternoon. I chose the Beck Arnley 110A with 1yr warranty for $125. They have another brand for as little as $110 and Bosch reman for as much as $190.

Old 11-17-2007, 03:03 PM
Subaru Bronze Contributor

Send a message via ICQ to sicksubie Send a message via AIM to sicksubie Send a message via Skype™ to sicksubie
Nice... So now you will have a nice shiny alternator underneath your car when you put the S/C on
2017 Ford Raptor
2017 Kawasaki KLR
1995 Guards Red Carrera
1995 Spec-ish Miata - track car
1957 CJ-5
Old 11-17-2007, 03:10 PM
Moar shifty!
Subaru Gold Contributor

Send a message via MSN to Crazy_pilot
Registered SVX
I can't find a 110A alternator on RockAuto's site. The Beck Arnley says 95 amps.

92 Ebony Mica LS-L "A Rolling Restoration": 223,250 KM - Sleeping
2007 STi 6MT, Stance GR+ coilovers, PWR Rad, JDM hood badge, svxfiles 6000K HIDs, JDM Clear Corners, $15/15 min mod, $20/20 min mod, Energy Swaybar Bushings, Hella Supertones horns, Gold STi BBS rims, Group A lightweight crank pulley, A/C system removed, Custom header-back exhaust, Hybrid carbon/metal rear sway bar, restored headlights with CCFL halos
2008 Subaru Legacy Spec B - Diamond Grey Metallic - Sold
2020 Ram 1500 Longhorn - Red Pearl

Old 11-17-2007, 03:22 PM

Send a message via AIM to subru92svx
Napa has 110amp ones for $154.19 with $60.50 core charge and lifetime warrenty. I Ordered one for my sisters SVX Friday morning and picked it up today. It looks really nice, but I won't know how well it working until I install it later tonight. I currently have a brand new Bosch alternator in my SVX, but I think I'm gonna buy another 110amp one from Napa and save the Bosch as a backup.
Old 11-17-2007, 03:48 PM
Have a poncho I can borrow?

Just an FYI you can have yours rebuilt for less than the cost of a remained one at a local shop. Then if you need warranty work you can see the builder when you get stranded and ring his neck. Most of the remaned ones are made with Indian copper which it seems is recycled Lucas parts. An increase in amps is not recommended as only certain portions are increased. Its kinda like running a 20 amp breaker on 15 amp wire. Eventually you're gonna have trouble.
Old 11-17-2007, 04:09 PM

Dyno slip says 110

You are correct - the Rockauto.com Beck Arnley is listed as a 95 A, but I believe that it's a misprint. The Alternator dyno sheet included in the box shows that it's actually a 110A.

I wanted to get the Napa 110A with a lifetime warranty, but if I ordered it last Tuesday, I would have gotten it next week Tuesday at the earliest and I couldn't wait that long.

I intend on having the one I pulled out rebuilt at a local shop to keep as a spare - hence my post in the WTB section looking for someone selling a known bad alternator so that I can get some of my core deposit back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy_pilot View Post
I can't find a 110A alternator on RockAuto's site. The Beck Arnley says 95 amps.
Old 11-17-2007, 04:25 PM

Another option

My extensive web search found the identical Beck Arnley alternator at Advanceautoparts.com for 164.99. They have a 10% coupon at the moment and free shipping over $125, so you can have this one for ~$148 - WITH NO CORE CHARGE. Again, it's listed as ships in 2 days, so I couldn't wait for this one either, but if you can wait, here's a way to have a rebuild alternator and keep your original as a spare.