Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-16-2002, 09:21 AM
srmifer

ECU question...

ok, i need a new ecu. i've found a few places where i can get them for dirt cheap (tons less than the 680 quoted). here's my question...my car was made in 7/91. i was on used-auto-parts.net, and under the 1992 svx ecu there are 3 options:

made thru 6/91
7/91 only
from 8/91

the cheapest i could find the 7/91 was like $225...i can get the preceeding model for $100. the dealer gave me a part number...which was for a '94, but i went in and questioned them and was told it's just what they pulled up. the only difference in the model numbers of the ecu's above is at the very end...the 6/91 is RD0...and the 7/91 is RD2. does anyone know anything about this? and...are ecu's interchangable throughout the years (b/c the dealer would have put a 94 in mine)? if i can get away with the cheaper ecu, that'd be great...quick replys would be most appreciated!!
Old 05-17-2002, 08:53 AM
EverclearAtMSU

Re: ECU question...

if i was you, i would take the part number of the cheaper ecu, goto your dealer and ask. or check with their return policy, if it's a good one, by the cheap one, if it doesn't work, return it and get the other one. or maybe you can e-mail the company and ask if they will let you do it. you'll have to pay for shipping it back if it doesn't work, but hey, $20 isn't that bad a risk, esp if it might save you a few hundreed
Old 05-17-2002, 11:35 AM
srmifer

Re: Re: ECU question...

Quote:
Originally posted by EverclearAtMSU
if i was you, i would take the part number of the cheaper ecu, goto your dealer and ask. or check with their return policy, if it's a good one, by the cheap one, if it doesn't work, return it and get the other one. or maybe you can e-mail the company and ask if they will let you do it. you'll have to pay for shipping it back if it doesn't work, but hey, $20 isn't that bad a risk, esp if it might save you a few hundreed
that's good advice...lol...too bad it's not like wal-mart...just use it and take it back later anyways, i called this place called modern imports in missouri...they had a 6/91 module. guy gave it to me for $100...then $30 for overnight shipping. since i didn't need sat delivery, it'll be here monday! i think i'll be alright b/c i called this other place and the guy was like 'yeah, the ecus from 92-94 are all listed as oem replacements for those years.' so hopefully, he's right...but i can't wait for mon...get my car back baby!