Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 10-16-2007, 06:57 AM
Network Design Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorSVXette View Post
Hey Chris. Whats up with my donation logo? Since Dave helped me out so much with my check engine light that I know I saved a lot of money I was thinking of adding to my donation but I never got my logo under my name from the first donation?
Send a PM to ensteele with your handle, email address real name and how much you donated... he should be able to work it out.
-1993 Subaru SVX LS-L, Barcelona Red, #46, 160,000+ Miles (Sold to SomethingElse)
-2011 Toyota Sienna SE, Black, 30,000+ Miles (Swagger Wagon )
-2002 BMW R 1150R ABS, Black, 26,000+ Miles (Daily Driver )
SVX Owner from February 1997 to March 2008
SVX Online Community Member since February 1998
SVX World Network Member since February 2002, Member #520

Life is a game. Play to win.
The world belongs to those who can laugh at it.
Old 11-13-2007, 12:46 PM
SVX- My daily driving Corvette

Send a message via AIM to CorSVXette
Classic SVX
OK I finally got around to changing this coolant temp sensor but the CEL is still on. Does it go out on its own after a while or do I need to clear it out?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hocrest View Post
1 - A little bit, set a rag below it. DON'T DO IT WHEN THE ENGINE IS HOT and the system is under pressure!!!!

2 - no

3 - thread it in

4 - The CEL should turn off, but if you read stored codes, it may be there for a bit.

5 - if it flashed 2 - 1 over and over, then that is your only code.

6 - There are plastic screws that go into rubber grommets to hold the H-6 cover in place.
1995 Corolla
2003 Highlander
Old 12-03-2007, 08:09 PM
Still Cant' Say the Z-Word

Send a message via AIM to LetItSnow
Registered SVX
Still looking for your answer? I sure haven't got it...

I've been having a vicious hard start in the cold, and a solid CEL. Ripped the code and got a 21. Some time ago, I had a 21 show up very briefly, so I grabbed the sensor from my dealer for the ~$25 price that everyone here has paid. It's been hanging out in my basement with my other assorted SVX parts since then.

The past two days, the car has been giving me holy hell when trying to get it running from setting cold. I replaced the sensor tonight, and it still had the same reluctance to get running.

I suppose the next check is the wiring? Can anyone tell me if there's a voltage to measure on the connector for the sensor? I'm betting it's 5V or so...
Old 12-04-2007, 04:36 AM
SVX- My daily driving Corvette

Send a message via AIM to CorSVXette
Classic SVX
Here is what happened with me. When I first started getting the CEl, it would come on for a few seconds then go off. Well it progreesivly got worse by staying on longer each time until it finnaly stayed on all the time. The code was 21 and it was for the Coolant Temperature Sensor. When I changed it, the car started but the car was warm at the time and the CEL was still on. When the car sat overnight and got cold it would not start and the fans were constantly running even though the car sat overnight and was cold. All I had to do was "Disconnect the Battery for 1/2 hour to clear the code" and the car started right up. I have had no problems since. I guess the car was till reading that the "sensor" was bad so I had to clear the code. If you haven't already done so, try clearing the code. I'm sorry I cannot be more helpful, but I am just learning about this car myself. Good luck.
1995 Corolla
2003 Highlander
Old 12-04-2007, 06:22 AM
Still Cant' Say the Z-Word

Send a message via AIM to LetItSnow
Registered SVX
Yeh, I found Hocrest in IRC last night, and he told me to try clearing the code as well. We both agreed that it seemed odd that it would make the difference (as the mechanicals were properly repaired), but sure enough, it did! Maybe the ECU ignores the sensor if it gets too far out of whack?

So, agreed - clear codes, EOF.
Old 12-04-2007, 01:35 PM
Maniac modifier

Registered SVX Classic SVX
good to hear!! I am very happy with how well you have been taking care of her. I only had her for a short while but she was a great car!

Tom