Old Lockers
Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 10-03-2007, 10:47 PM

Exclamation Only firing on 2 cylinders???

OK so heres the deal... Im new & I love the SVX... So the story goes like this...

I got the 92SVX LSL on a trade for a 97 Mitsu Eclipse 2.0 N/A auto. The trade is another story but as you know I got the better deal... OK so the issue is........ Got the car and the stroy has it that the timing belt broke and the guy didnt have $$ to fix it... Anyways thats another story... So I did a compression check first (you know bent valves vs. timming LOL bad) 190psi the highest and 175 the lowest, so I was VERY happy that I had compression, so I switched the plugs and thought I might get lucky but no so ok well theres next weekend...

So the next weekend, timming adjustment!!! found out it was 15 degrees advanced so maybe thats the issue??? I fixed it got VERY happy again - then I start it & its still running like crap (but now it'll move under her own power) ok so I start checking the fuel injectors and it seems to run the same unless I unhook either sides of the middle injectors - so ok the 2 middle cylcinders fire, well that sucks but I still have options.... So I check one of the cyclinders that wasnt firing (fuel injectors - plug - spark as well as a second compression check) and what do you know..... the fuel injector pulsates and when under the test it passes fuel - there is spark off of the coil pack - spark plug is clean - compression (I think is good?) 160psi (after timing adjustment)........ WTF.... ok well maybe the valves are slghtly bent??? maybe head gasket??? I DONT KNOW aaaaaaaaaaaa ok well I guess Im gunna have to pull the engine like I didnt want to...

Maybe all you experienced SVX owners might be able to help me??? Im going to fix her no matter what!!! I just need any help because this is the first time Im gunna work on an engine like this and Im excited but scarred?!? maybe someone knows something I dont about these engines? (Im not experienced in this type of engine) Please help me bring her back Im very excited but need all the help I can get...

Please ask me any questions that I might not have covered (Im a bad story teller) that might help you help me and in due time Im sure Ill do the same
Old 10-03-2007, 11:49 PM

Registered SVX
You will be happy to know that the SVX engine is non interference, i.e. the valves will not collide with the piston in the event that the timing belt breaks and the cams stop moving.

As a child, on cold mornings I gladly stood in cowpats to warm my bare feet, but I detest bull$hit!
Old 10-04-2007, 12:56 AM
SVXtreme

have you checked engine codes? here's the link on how to do so.
Old 10-04-2007, 05:23 AM
1995 Subaru SVX LSi Polo Green

Send a message via ICQ to Manarius Send a message via AIM to Manarius Send a message via MSN to Manarius Send a message via Yahoo to Manarius Send a message via Skype™ to Manarius
Registered SVX
1. The timing is controlled electronically. You don't adjust it.
2. Like Trevor said, the engine is non-interference - valves bending is not an issue.

Sounds to me like maybe your MAF or knock sensors are broken. However, pulling codes from the computer would be your next step in deciding what to fix next.
(8/23/07-Present) 1995 Subaru SVX LSi (197k) Polo Green (#1102) 03/95
Mods: DDM Tuning 4500k 35w Low Beam HID, 100w H3 Bulbs, Extra Ground Cables, 15 minute $12.96 mod,
svxfiles designed transmission mount (), sporting a "new" tail light bar,
silver BBS rims, custom power steering cooler (one that doesn't dump ATF constantly), new negative lead cable, no more third or fourth gear
(1977-Present) 1977 Chevrolet Corvette (81k) Silver
(12/01/2011-Present) 2005 Subaru Outback 2.5i Limited 5MT (97k)
I have a bad feeling about this.
-Obi Wan Kenobi
Old 10-04-2007, 05:47 AM
Freezepop's are Awesome!!!!
Subaru Silver Contributor

Send a message via AIM to Hocrest
Are we sure that the timing belts are on right?
Old 10-04-2007, 09:39 AM

OK well I was wondering if it was non interference... Well thx for clarifying that

Timing adjustment - timing mark @ the crank was advanced 15 degrees so I removed the timing belt and put the crank position back to 0 degrees without the belt on - it actually had a lil more power but still only running on 2 cylinders??

Also it does backfire?? if that helps?
Old 10-04-2007, 02:41 PM
Finally HAS a 3rd pedal!!

Send a message via AIM to ridered777 Send a message via MSN to ridered777 Send a message via Yahoo to ridered777
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.EG33 View Post

I got the 92SVX LSL on a trade for a 97 Mitsu Eclipse 2.0 N/A auto.
OK. SUPER confused on this. "N/A turbo" is a contradiction! Was it naturally aspirated, or turbocharged?

Sorry. I'm just as clueless on your problem as you are... but if only a some of the engines are firing, and there are only 3 things you need, it should be able to be narrowed down to one or two (I would say spark is a dependent per cylinder, vs fuel, barring a faulty injector, being independent of the cylinder). Though if you said you average compression was around 180, and those cylinders have 165, I would point that to being the issue. Though its not far off, its certainly different. Just my thoughts, as I said I'm clueless too - I just had to ask the question about the first naturally aspirated turbocharged care ever built...

94 LSi 5spd Barcelona Red, 14Xk miles.

Full custom exhaust (Stebro cat-back, custom rest of the way forward) 8000K HID kit from Tom (SVXfiles), Energy Suspension front sway bar bushings, Non-Droopy visors, Race Concepts C/D + Dimpled Rotors, Axxis Ultimate pads,SS brake lines, Bontrager Works #009 (or something like that), stripped interior.

(up next) Full cage, fuel cell, 327 swap
Old 10-04-2007, 03:12 PM
Pinto Boosting Freak

Send a message via AIM to Evil One Send a message via MSN to Evil One Send a message via Yahoo to Evil One
Where did he say turbo?

Jim
Old 10-04-2007, 03:39 PM
Official AutoX Part Breaker
Subaru Gold Contributor

Registered SVX
try disconnecting the coils and see what happens
-Bill

Most famous NASA "Child" - OSIRIS-REx delivered samples from asteroid BENNU to Earth in Sept. 2023

Center Network Member #989

'92 Fully caged, 5 speed, waiting for its fully built EG33
'92 "Test Mule", 4:44 Auto, JDM 4:44 Rear Diff with Mech LSD, Tuned headers, Full one-off suspension
'92(?) Laguna, 6 spd and other stuff (still at OT's place)
My Locker
Old 10-04-2007, 05:05 PM
Freezepop's are Awesome!!!!
Subaru Silver Contributor

Send a message via AIM to Hocrest
Quote:
Timing adjustment - timing mark @ the crank was advanced 15 degrees so I removed the timing belt and put the crank position back to 0 degrees without the belt on
And for the cams, you had the notches on the rear cover lined up with the notches on the cam wheels and not the arrows on the cam wheels?
Old 10-04-2007, 06:29 PM

Registered SVX
where did he say turbo ? on the car you made sure all the timing marks lined up as per above question ? all cams set at timing marks and timing belt at 0 ? just asking, I forgot to make one of the banks of cams timed correctly and had to do it over again just my idea
Old 10-04-2007, 06:57 PM
Alcyone ... the brightest star

I'll second the belt issue ... take it off and reset the timing

That's the place to start ...

Bob
Old 10-05-2007, 11:02 AM

*Coil packs have spark
*New spark plugs
*Fuel injectors pulsate and pass fuel
*Timing notches (all 3) are lined up correctly
*Fuel pressure is fine
*Super confused I am.....

Well tomorrow Ill be working on her and Ill let everyone know how it goes but if there is more suggestions please tell me cause I need all the help I can get... For all that have gave me info I do thank you very much and will try all that has been suggested...
Old 10-05-2007, 02:13 PM

Registered SVX
Quote:
*Coil packs have spark
*New spark plugs
*Fuel injectors pulsate and pass fuel
*Timing notches (all 3) are lined up correctly
*Fuel pressure is fine
*Super confused I am.....

Well tomorrow Ill be working on her and Ill let everyone know how it goes but if there is more suggestions please tell me cause I need all the help I can get... For all that have gave me info I do thank you very much and will try all that has been suggested...
Unless you have done so, as a priority you should definitely next check for fault codes. There are several sensors which could be faulty. Refer here to the "how too" section.

As a child, on cold mornings I gladly stood in cowpats to warm my bare feet, but I detest bull$hit!
Old 10-05-2007, 03:41 PM
Locker Link Solution

double post, so i changed this
In progess: track down mystery noise <-identified, paint the new dash, get better pic
Spring plans: Replace Trans - Integrate ECU with the carputer - Suspension - Go back to STI Filter - Paint? Maybe not - Next Oil change: Purolator L30165

Member #995 | My Locker | My New Locker

Catch you next at: ? Auto-X ?

Last edited by Speedklix; 10-05-2007 at 03:44 PM.