Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-27-2007, 05:30 AM
Jersey Girl
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Send a message via Skype™ to svxistentialist
Registered SVX
Dimples on the SVX roof

I'm wondering if anybody else has this problem or have noticed any dimples.

I have two English SVX's outside. One is a '93 Ebony, the other is a '95 Liquid Silver with black roof.

Both cars have dimples and depressions on the roof just over the door. I have Black Betty longer, and I noticed a few small marks on the roof in certain light. I though they might have been caused by kids climbing out of the sunroof, or possibly getting hit by footballs [although the marks are pretty small]

Now that I recently got the silver car, and it is lower mileage and has lovely bodywork, but on inspection of the roof it has many shallow dimples on both sides.

It looks to me like the roof is being damaged or has been damaged by somebody with large hands. I figure that a previous user has been using the roof above the door opening to lever themselves out of or into the car. The indentations in the roof may be caused by large hands, possibly from a heavy person, squeezing the roof in an effort to lift themselves from the low seat, or letting themselves down into it.

Has anybody else experienced these dimples on the roof?

Joe
White X2 RVR Mitsubishi 1800GDI. Vantastic

40,000 miles Jersey Girl
Old 08-27-2007, 09:55 AM
Collision Refinishing Tech

Registered SVX
Smile

I have found small indentaions around the whole roof. there is only like 5 or so and dont know how they got there? Someone is beating on our roof while we sleep
Mods:AWD conversion/4.44 swap by Budfreak, Custom red interior lights, Custom Satin black dash, Power mode switch, Cold air intake, Permecool tranny filter,Sony xplode 10" sub, Sony xplode 1000w amp, Blitz in-line driver, DDM Tuning 6000k HID's, New paint job/body work by me, 97' Grill, QC shift kit, 17'' MB Motoring rims, 15&20 min mod, front & rear urethane swaybar bushings, Custom fiberglass sub box, Custom red led a/c control unit, perrin lightweight crank pulley, Black wrinkle finish powdercoated intake manifold w/ clear hoses , 02' outback heated/power black leather seats
Soon to come:Fiberglass hood, upholster ALL suede to black leather
Past subies:

92' Pearl White/black top LS-L-SOLD
96' Legacy Outback-TOTALED
99' Legacy Outback Limited 30th anniversary edition-TOTALED
98' Forester L -Totaled
Other toys:
99' Forester S -WRX brake upgrade, soon an 04 wrx motor swap
06' B9 Tribeca-Stock
1982' Yamaha xj650 Maxim
Mods:
work in progress
Old 08-27-2007, 10:13 AM
It's just a phase

Send a message via Yahoo to msvx95
Registered SVX
you don't live near a golf course do you
Old 08-27-2007, 10:13 AM
Jersey Girl
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by redlightningsvx
I have found small indentaions around the whole roof. there is only like 5 or so and dont know how they got there? Someone is beating on our roof while we sleep
Hot Dang!! You could be right.

Or maybe we are parking in neighbourhoods where the cats are heavy?

We ought to stir up a posse and chase these roof beaters out of town.

40,000 miles Jersey Girl
Old 08-27-2007, 02:38 PM
Old Fogey

Registered SVX
Joe,
I also have some dimples of various sizes in the driver's side roof 'tween sunroof edge and window. Originally thought it to be hail damage, but why only in one spot, and the car grew up in Southern Cal b4 coming to live in my garage. Hail? Unlikely to say the least! Again, must be some roof beaters capable of stealthy B&E. I do my best to ignore them.

Glenn

1993 25th Anniversary Edition #63 of 301. R.I.P. Rojo 7/24/2008 She saved my life!
1997 Ebony Mica Pearl LSI. BLACKBERRY
1998 5-Spd Legacy GT Wagon in Glacier White: NUBURU
2005 Cadillac STS in Sandstorm Metallic: STORMY

Veteran and farthest traveler of 1st SoCal2MuseumsMeet2010.

http://www.subaru-svx.net/photos/user.php?RojoRocket
Old 08-27-2007, 02:42 PM
Moar shifty!
Subaru Gold Contributor

Send a message via MSN to Crazy_pilot
Registered SVX
One trick to get rid of them is to leave the car out in the sun until the roof is good and hot, then place an ice cube in the center of the dimple. The temperature difference will cause the dimple to pop out after a minute or three.

92 Ebony Mica LS-L "A Rolling Restoration": 223,250 KM - Sleeping
2007 STi 6MT, Stance GR+ coilovers, PWR Rad, JDM hood badge, svxfiles 6000K HIDs, JDM Clear Corners, $15/15 min mod, $20/20 min mod, Energy Swaybar Bushings, Hella Supertones horns, Gold STi BBS rims, Group A lightweight crank pulley, A/C system removed, Custom header-back exhaust, Hybrid carbon/metal rear sway bar, restored headlights with CCFL halos
2008 Subaru Legacy Spec B - Diamond Grey Metallic - Sold
2020 Ram 1500 Longhorn - Red Pearl

Old 08-27-2007, 02:56 PM
Jersey Girl
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by RojoRocket
Joe,
I also have some dimples of various sizes in the driver's side roof 'tween sunroof edge and window. Originally thought it to be hail damage, but why only in one spot, and the car grew up in Southern Cal b4 coming to live in my garage. Hail? Unlikely to say the least! Again, must be some roof beaters capable of stealthy B&E. I do my best to ignore them.

Glenn
That's interesting Glenn.

You probably saw my latest theory; I figure people are using the roof to pull themselves out of, or lower themselves into, the low seat. The squeezing action is causing the dimples.

I would imagine they are more common and numerous on the driver side for two reasons; one, there is no grab handle on that side, and two, the driver side is subject to many multiples of exit-entry compared to the passenger side in most cars.

Maybe we ought to put up an advice page about this for new owners. You could easily damage the roof of a perfect car if you were not aware of this. The ice cubes, or possibly dry ice cubes would be a good approach to fixing it, but it would be good to avoid doing the damage in the first place.

Joe

40,000 miles Jersey Girl
Old 08-27-2007, 05:00 PM
242,000 mi on oem trans

Registered SVX
Could the design of the body be causing the door to "impact" the roof skin? I know the SVX was nearly handbuilt to exacting tolerences. Could those tolerences be causing this? Try slamming your door from outside & see if the upper window frame moves. If so the permanent solution may be as simple as moving the latch pin(s) out a mm or two.
Not having my own SVX (yet) my big clue is that these dimples appear primarily over the driver's door.
Current Stable By Age:
'89 Subaru XT6 Silver "Audrey" as in Hepburn
'96 SVX LSi #767Brilliant Red "Lil Red" Now on the front burner. Looking for a totalled, but running parts car.
Old 08-27-2007, 06:13 PM
Old Fogey

Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by svxistentialist
That's interesting Glenn.

You probably saw my latest theory; I figure people are using the roof to pull themselves out of, or lower themselves into, the low seat. The squeezing action is causing the dimples.

I would imagine they are more common and numerous on the driver side for two reasons; one, there is no grab handle on that side, and two, the driver side is subject to many multiples of exit-entry compared to the passenger side in most cars.

Maybe we ought to put up an advice page about this for new owners. You could easily damage the roof of a perfect car if you were not aware of this. The ice cubes, or possibly dry ice cubes would be a good approach to fixing it, but it would be good to avoid doing the damage in the first place.

Joe
Joe,
Electroshock wired to the roof skin? Seriously, you may be right on. They're all above the door, but not over the rear side window. At 5'6" it's never been an issue for me. I'm already close enough to the seat to just drop in, and step out. Built for small statured folks? I'll have to give the ice/dry-ice a try when I get back to Sacramento. Roof hardly getting hot enough here in Ocean Beach/San Diego on vacation. Thanks Crazy_pilot.

Glenn

1993 25th Anniversary Edition #63 of 301. R.I.P. Rojo 7/24/2008 She saved my life!

Old 08-27-2007, 06:19 PM
Jersey Girl
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by RojoRocket
Joe,
Electroshock wired to the roof skin? Seriously, you may be right on. They're all above the door, but not over the rear side window. At 5'6" it's never been an issue for me. I'm already close enough to the seat to just drop in, and step out. Built for small statured folks? I'll have to give the ice/dry-ice a try when I get back to Sacramento. Roof hardly getting hot enough here in Ocean Beach/San Diego on vacation. Thanks Crazy_pilot.

Glenn
Hey, if you do try the ice Glenn and it works, post it up. I may have a go at doing mine.

Well except we have not seen the sun over here for months!!

40,000 miles Jersey Girl
Old 08-27-2007, 07:03 PM
Old Fogey

Registered SVX
Joe,
Count on it! Will be about 2 weeks, but I can be sure to see lots of sun in Sac in September.

Glenn

Old 08-27-2007, 10:41 PM
OOC for a while

Send a message via AIM to 94SubieSVX
A friend of mine told me about a video of taking dents out. Get a hairdryer or heat gun and heat up the dent, then use a can of compressed air and blow it on it and it will pop right out. I haven't tried it yet but if she told me then it's gotta work
Old 08-27-2007, 10:50 PM
Missing in action

Send a message via AIM to It's Just Eric
Registered SVX
Now...Im not sure if this is the same thing or not, but every sunroof roof Ive seen has had some sort of distortion right where the rear corner of the sunroof is, on the narrow strip of roof itself. Its best described as a slight change in curvature.
now, it seems this curvature change is directly over where the additional bracing for the sunroof is. my guess is the distortion is caused by the straight brace being attached to the compund-curved roof, or it could possibly be as simple as heat distortion from being in the sun

But, I have my roof covered in barbed wire, just in case Im wrong
You're gone but not forgotten. I mean, sure, I kindof don't remember some of the finer details..but I remember you were funny, and at one point you said spaghetti in Dutch....but definantly not forgotten

Old 08-28-2007, 02:35 AM
Jersey Girl
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Registered SVX
That is noticeable Eric, I know what you mean all right.

The "dimples" we are talking about here are closer to the door side edge, and are probably caused by strong fingers.

Joe

40,000 miles Jersey Girl
Old 08-28-2007, 11:11 AM
Missing in action

Send a message via AIM to It's Just Eric
Registered SVX
Hmm...mabey Mario Lopez, obsessed with his most prominent feature during the saved by the bell era, is going around poking things, trying to rekindle the spirit of that which made him famous
You're gone but not forgotten. I mean, sure, I kindof don't remember some of the finer details..but I remember you were funny, and at one point you said spaghetti in Dutch....but definantly not forgotten