How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 04-29-2002, 09:05 PM
gcookaustin

Dark oil? I just changed it...

After breaking my crankcase breather and dropping its shards into the crankcase; my dad and I decided that it would be good to flush the oil. The oil that was in the engine was really dark, and I had just changed it 500 miles ago! What is that all about?
Old 04-29-2002, 09:55 PM
Rat Fink Member ~:o)

Send a message via ICQ to Aredubjay Send a message via AIM to Aredubjay Send a message via Yahoo to Aredubjay
Registered SVX
Re: Dark oil? I just changed it...

Quote:
Originally posted by gcookaustin
After breaking my crankcase breather and dropping its shards into the crankcase; my dad and I decided that it would be good to flush the oil. The oil that was in the engine was really dark, and I had just changed it 500 miles ago! What is that all about?
Could be a few things. Was it cold when you changed the oil? Sometimes if it's too cold, enough doesn't drain and you get icky oil. Did you change the filter? Don't change the oil without changing the filter. That's a big no-no. Were you on a grade when you changed your oil, or, did you jack the car up? If the car is tilted, it will not drain enough of the icky oil out. The car should be flat when you drain the oil, and you should warm it up a bit. Take it for a drive around the block before you drop the plug. More oil will drain because it has gotten thinner. Be patient and let it drain 'til you hardly have a drip into the drain pan.

One other possibility that I HOPE is not the case: you didn't drain the front diff and then fill the crank case again, did you? "Jiffy Lubes" have been known to pull this bonehead stunt.
First to arrive at the very first Reading Meet
Subaru Ambassador

1992 SVX PPG Pace Car Replica 110+k
1993 White Impreza L 240+K miles
2001 Legacy Outback Limited Sedan 250+K miles
2013 Deep Indigo Pearl Legacy 3.6R 49+K miles

"Reading is my favorite Holiday"
Mike Davis -- at Reading VI
Old 04-30-2002, 05:52 AM
gcookaustin

Couldn't warm it up first because of the crankcase breather mishap; that was why we were draining it in the first place I didn't think we needed a new filter if it was only after 500 miles? Yeah the car was tilted; jacked up on the driver's side.
Old 04-30-2002, 08:39 AM

Hows the car running? how is the fuel economy? Rich mixture can contaminate the oil early. Any black smoke from the tailpipe? Check your airfilter.

Mike
Old 04-30-2002, 08:50 AM

By the way, I wanted to add that my suggestion is far more unlikely than what the prez suggested.
Old 04-30-2002, 09:52 AM

Send a message via ICQ to Aredubjay Send a message via AIM to Aredubjay Send a message via Yahoo to Aredubjay
Registered SVX
Quote:
Couldn't warm it up first because of the crankcase breather mishap; that was why we were draining it in the first place I didn't think we needed a new filter if it was only after 500 miles? Yeah the car was tilted; jacked up on the driver's side.
Well, there ya go.
Subaru Ambassador

Old 04-30-2002, 10:26 AM
gcookaustin

Oh, well, okay. So if it's not warmed up and/or tilted it's darker? Also I replaced the air filter upon seeing it after taking off the intake hose stuff to clean the throttle...it had pine needles and sludgey looking stuff on the underside...
Old 04-30-2002, 10:55 AM

Registered SVX
Quote:
Oh, well, okay. So if it's not warmed up and/or tilted it's darker? Also I replaced the air filter upon seeing it after taking off the intake hose stuff to clean the throttle...it had pine needles and sludgey looking stuff on the underside...
Yep, if it's tilted, all of the old oil won't drain out, so, you're mixing your new fresh oil with the old oil. Same with the filter. Your filter ratains about a half quart of old oil.

Good call on the air filter. EEK! Sounds nasty. Did you ever get the plastic bits out of the crankcase?
Subaru Ambassador

Old 04-30-2002, 11:44 AM
gcookaustin

Quote:
Originally posted by Aredubjay

Good call on the air filter. EEK! Sounds nasty. Did you ever get the plastic bits out of the crankcase?
We pulled out the largest plastic piece with a coathanger and a piece of chewed gum We put our parts together and found that only a little bit of plastic was still missing. After the oil drain we took a vacuum cleaner and put it over the crankcase hole. Seemed like a good idea, esp. when we felt a little piece of something go through the pipe. But you should have seen the inside of the vacuum hose after that (oil....). We then poured about a quart or two of new oil down the crankcase vent. I hope that's not bad or anything My crankcase breather came in to Duff's today (good turnaround, ordered part yesterday!). I also got my window switches three days after I ordered them from subaruparts.com . Who says parts are hard to get? Just kidding Auto Zone: 'You need a crankcase breather for a Subaru what? I'm sorry, we don't carry those -- if it were for a Ford, I've got a whole pile of 'em in the back, you could just grab yourself one...' hehe it's so entertaining.

Also, does a person necessarily HAVE to use a crow's foot to get the PVC valve back into the engine? I got it tight enough with a regular wrench but I didn't know if that means it's threaded wrong or not tight enough,...
Old 04-30-2002, 12:49 PM

I would recomend NOT tightening the PCV real tight. Someday you will have to get it back out. It is a pipe thread and will seal with only a little force. Won't loosen either.

Mike
Old 04-30-2002, 12:49 PM

Registered SVX
Quote:

We pulled out the largest plastic piece with a coathanger and a piece of chewed gum We put our parts together and found that only a little bit of plastic was still missing. After the oil drain we took a vacuum cleaner and put it over the crankcase hole. Seemed like a good idea, esp. when we felt a little piece of something go through the pipe. But you should have seen the inside of the vacuum hose after that (oil....). We then poured about a quart or two of new oil down the crankcase vent. I hope that's not bad or anything My crankcase breather came in to Duff's today (good turnaround, ordered part yesterday!). I also got my window switches three days after I ordered them from subaruparts.com . Who says parts are hard to get? Just kidding Auto Zone: 'You need a crankcase breather for a Subaru what? I'm sorry, we don't carry those -- if it were for a Ford, I've got a whole pile of 'em in the back, you could just grab yourself one...' hehe it's so entertaining.

Also, does a person necessarily HAVE to use a crow's foot to get the PVC valve back into the engine? I got it tight enough with a regular wrench but I didn't know if that means it's threaded wrong or not tight enough,...

I didn't use a crow's foot. I wound up using an open ended wrench. It's just a pain in the butt and a very short "throw," to say the least.

I hope you were using a shop vac, and not "mom's pride and joy Electrolux" or something. If you used the latter, I'd get the SVX up to speed in no time and get the heck outta Dodge. When ladies start swinging brooms at you, it can really be painful!!
Subaru Ambassador

Old 04-30-2002, 01:08 PM
This account is scheduled to be deleted for inactivity

Send a message via Yahoo to svxter
AMSE?

Garrett

Did you visit the American Museum of Science and Energy in Oak Ridge this past weekend? We were coming out of the shopping center and saw a black over claret pulling out of the parking lot. Was that you?
Red F-150 Extended Cab Long Bed - Big Boy

Even the best monkey sometimes drops his banana.
Old 04-30-2002, 06:33 PM
gcookaustin

Re: AMSE?

Quote:
Originally posted by svxter
Garrett

Did you visit the American Museum of Science and Energy in Oak Ridge this past weekend? We were coming out of the shopping center and saw a black over claret pulling out of the parking lot. Was that you?
Nope, I've been there a few times but it wasn't me. I haven't seen another SVX in Knoxville area in a long time...