Live Chat!
SVX or Subaru Links
Old Lockers
Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > MOD Mania > Interior Mods

Old 03-14-2007, 03:36 PM
Have a poncho I can borrow?

Cage installation

Was playing around with the bent steel pipe sitting in the garage beside the racer last night. Looks like it'll fit nicely. Now I just need to get the gas conversion kit for the welder and a gas bottle. Can't find anyone local willing to lease one though. Looks doubtful for an apperance fully done by reading but might get the bar in by then.

Questions I'm coming up with.
1. Should I paint it before installing and then just clean the areas to be welded or wait until its in to paint?
2. Any thoughts on making a seat mounting system that we can switch seats easily?
3. It'll need to have holes cut into the dash yes the dash is back in and looks good at 1/3 of the weight of a stock one. Any ideas on making nice clean cuts large enough to feed it down then an epoxy or something to clean it up afterwards?
Old 03-15-2007, 08:53 AM
Official AutoX Part Breaker
Subaru Gold Contributor

Registered SVX
Ben,
Paint after you're done welding...are you sure the cage will still be "certified" if you weld it up? I thought you had to have the cage welded by a welder with the right certifications in order for any sanctioning body to accept the cage.

Hole saw!!

You might be able to get by with heavy duty pit pins to hold the seat in - they'd have to be hardened to make sure they're strong enough such that they wouldn't shear off in an accident.

-Bill

Most famous NASA "Child" - OSIRIS-REx delivered samples from asteroid BENNU to Earth in Sept. 2023

Center Network Member #989

'92 Fully caged, 5 speed, waiting for its fully built EG33
'92 "Test Mule", 4:44 Auto, JDM 4:44 Rear Diff with Mech LSD, Tuned headers, Full one-off suspension
'92(?) Laguna, 6 spd and other stuff (still at OT's place)
My Locker

Last edited by SVXRide; 03-15-2007 at 08:55 AM.
Old 03-15-2007, 05:29 PM

Registered SVX
Paint after welding.

What seat are you using? What quick adjustments do you need, and how long is "quick"?

I can take as many photos of my cage and seat mounts if you want to show you one way to do it...it's probably not the way I'd do it again if I had the choice, but it's the way I've got.

The only other rollcaged SVX I'm aware of is also here in Australia, but it's rubbish.

Matt
Old 03-15-2007, 05:58 PM

Right now a plastic summit racing seat (kinda like a dune buggy seat). Looking to put in a Kirkley Aluminum seat in the near future. Maybe next year.

Pics would be great!
Old 03-15-2007, 07:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVXRide
Ben,
Paint after you're done welding...are you sure the cage will still be "certified" if you weld it up? I thought you had to have the cage welded by a welder with the right certifications in order for any sanctioning body to accept the cage.

Hole saw!!

You might be able to get by with heavy duty pit pins to hold the seat in - they'd have to be hardened to make sure they're strong enough such that they wouldn't shear off in an accident.

-Bill
I'm not planning on doing all the welding, just tacking everything in place. I didn't see anything about "certified" welder doing it just that it must meet certain standards for weld penetration and so forth. It took me a good 20 minutes just to test fit the roll bar. Not the easiest thing to get in there to say the least. I'd prefer to do all that stuff rather than pay shop time for it. Remember, the great state of North Carolina certified me as a welder 15 years ago so I'm sure I could always argue that I'm certified. I just drove to NC to do the welding.

Hole saw won't work as the dash needs to come out to weld down there. Its the whole fitting things back together I'm concerned about. Don't want it to look like the Battlestar
Old 03-21-2007, 08:54 PM
$1 is just $1, but $2 = nachos

Considering the point of a cage is to save your life, I wouldn't cut corners. If you're not 100% absolutely sure you know what you're doing, take it somewhere. Hell, if you haven't at least "helped" a pro four or five times on cage installs, I'd take it somewhere even if you do know what you're doing. A bad cage will make the car less safe than no cage.

Also, depending on the club/sanctioning body/class you're racing under, the cage will have certain requirements to be legal. Like you said, it's not so much that the welder is "certified", it's that the cage meets the minimum rules... such as pipe material/size, number of mounting points, basic layout, number of bends in a pipe, etc.

Here's some pictures from my WRX cage being installed to SCCA Showroom Stock rules: http://www.seccs.org/forums/showthread.php?t=5589

I sent it to a shop that builds/tunes professional racecars, and *they* sent it to a shop that specifically builds cages because they want to make sure it's safe.
Old 03-21-2007, 09:38 PM
Maniac modifier

Registered SVX Classic SVX
Ben, I have a tank of 75arg and 25co2 if you need to borrow it. Its a typical mig mixture for mild steel(as long as thats what your cage is made of). Just make sure I get it back in time to make another X-member for reading(someone needed the one I had).

Tom
Old 03-22-2007, 11:27 AM
Subaru Gold Contributor

Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by sperry
Considering the point of a cage is to save your life, I wouldn't cut corners. If you're not 100% absolutely sure you know what you're doing, take it somewhere. Hell, if you haven't at least "helped" a pro four or five times on cage installs, I'd take it somewhere even if you do know what you're doing. A bad cage will make the car less safe than no cage.

Also, depending on the club/sanctioning body/class you're racing under, the cage will have certain requirements to be legal. Like you said, it's not so much that the welder is "certified", it's that the cage meets the minimum rules... such as pipe material/size, number of mounting points, basic layout, number of bends in a pipe, etc.

Here's some pictures from my WRX cage being installed to SCCA Showroom Stock rules: http://www.seccs.org/forums/showthread.php?t=5589

I sent it to a shop that builds/tunes professional racecars, and *they* sent it to a shop that specifically builds cages because they want to make sure it's safe.

by "certified", I meant that the welder understands the specifics regarding how the cage has to be welded and can actually create welds that are compliant.
-Bill

Most famous NASA "Child" - OSIRIS-REx delivered samples from asteroid BENNU to Earth in Sept. 2023

'92 "Test Mule", 4:44 Auto, JDM 4:44 Rear Diff with Mech LSD, Tuned headers, Full one-off suspension
My Locker
Old 03-22-2007, 12:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVXRide
by "certified", I meant that the welder understands the specifics regarding how the cage has to be welded and can actually create welds that are compliant.
-Bill

What you don't think I can do that? I've done some quite capable work in the past. Just been quite a while. I'll have help. Our helper just got done working on a Spec Micrappy!
Old 04-09-2007, 07:52 PM

Got the feet welded onto the main hoop tonight. Just playing around with the fitment. The SVX floor is gonna be a pain. For a car that prides itself on being flat the floor is anything but.
Old 04-09-2007, 09:24 PM

Registered SVX
Pics of what you're doing?
Old 04-09-2007, 09:26 PM
Subaru Gold Contributor

Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by dynomatt
Pics of what you're doing?
Matt,
Do you really want to see Ben's ****ugly welds?
-Bill

My Locker
Old 04-09-2007, 09:29 PM

Registered SVX
If only to compare them to mine

I'm not sure what the floor being flat means for him without pictures...maybe he's doing it differently?

M
Old 04-10-2007, 07:57 AM

Dyno, here's the site that built our cage. The flat floor would be nice for making the sub plates easier to weld. I thought it was close but its a good 1/4 inch off where I want the hoop to go. I think I should be able to bend the 6x6 plate so it goes up the rear seat wall so I can weld the main hoop directly to it but need Dave's fit as well. Wish we were an inch or two closer in height!

http://autoweldchassis.com/rbc.ivnu

Bill you're really trying to replace Wally with Bought not Billt aren't ya! My welds actually look pretty good from last night. Tonight the harness bar goes in. Hoping to have the bar and rear strut tower mounts in by Reading. Wish we had our aluminum racing seat to make fitment easier.
Old 04-10-2007, 10:22 AM
Subaru Gold Contributor

Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by benebob

Bill you're really trying to replace Wally with Bought not Billt aren't ya! My welds actually look pretty good from last night. Tonight the harness bar goes in. Hoping to have the bar and rear strut tower mounts in by Reading. Wish we had our aluminum racing seat to make fitment easier.

Just messing with ya Hey, you're the one the cage is going to protect the first time you put the Racer on its head , so I'd think you'd want to make sure all the welds are right

As far as BNB goes, I'll be doing a lot of work myself on the 'reX to get it into "fighting shape" for the GRC. Paul has provided the "foundation" I'm going to build on. I'm also going to use it as a working jig for some other ideas I've got....

-Bill

My Locker