Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 04-11-2002, 09:21 PM
gcookaustin

Passenger side window switch (on driver's side)

Well, I finally got oil changed after three hours and all is well, almost. After I started it up for the first time I was going to roll my windows up because I had them down. The passenger side did not roll up. "Oh, great" I say to myself. I reached over to use the passenger side button for the window and it went up. Tried rolling it down from the Driver's side; it will go down but not up. So to make it go up you have to use the passenger side switch. What's this all about? The actual black plastic button was missing anyway, and I was using the two little white plastic pieces to roll it up and down previously. I'm not good at diagnosing things but I see that each white thing pushes down on a piece of copper. Is this a short? How do I fix? I've encountered about one problem per day with this car...
Old 04-11-2002, 09:46 PM
EverclearAtMSU

Re: Passenger side window switch (on driver's side)

Quote:
Originally posted by gcookaustin
Well, I finally got oil changed after three hours and all is well, almost. After I started it up for the first time I was going to roll my windows up because I had them down. The passenger side did not roll up. "Oh, great" I say to myself. I reached over to use the passenger side button for the window and it went up. Tried rolling it down from the Driver's side; it will go down but not up. So to make it go up you have to use the passenger side switch. What's this all about? The actual black plastic button was missing anyway, and I was using the two little white plastic pieces to roll it up and down previously. I'm not good at diagnosing things but I see that each white thing pushes down on a piece of copper. Is this a short? How do I fix? I've encountered about one problem per day with this car...
I have a black 92 w/ the same problem..nothing is missing though, and it happened in my last car...i wound up wiring in a new switch and it worked fine. Here's what you can do to test it:

Pull off the drivers side door and find the wires going to that switch, then test them. Normally there are 3 wires, one set at 12volts, and 2 that will be dead. if you touch the 12 volt to one of the dead wires the window will either roll up or down, depending on the wire, and the oposite w/ the other one. if this makes your window roll up, then you need a new switch.
Old 04-11-2002, 10:32 PM
Rat Fink Member ~:o)

Send a message via ICQ to Aredubjay Send a message via AIM to Aredubjay Send a message via Yahoo to Aredubjay
Registered SVX
More than likely, you'll just need to clean the contacts. The switch is easily taken apart. Just be careful not to let the little bits and pieces get lost -- especially in the "Lock" mechanism. The lock function is controlled by a little piece of wire that looks like a staple. Don't lose it or you'll need to find a similar piece of wire (maybe a staple WILL work ) to fix it. All the windows, with the exception of the Driver's is controlled by copper contacts. Get some zero residue contact cleaner from Radio Shack, or, use a pencil eraser to clean them.
First to arrive at the very first Reading Meet
Subaru Ambassador

1992 SVX PPG Pace Car Replica 110+k
1993 White Impreza L 240+K miles
2001 Legacy Outback Limited Sedan 250+K miles
2013 Deep Indigo Pearl Legacy 3.6R 49+K miles

"Reading is my favorite Holiday"
Mike Davis -- at Reading VI
Old 04-11-2002, 11:00 PM
I abuse them one at a time

Location: Northbrook, Illinois, USA, Earth, Solar System... you get the picture
Send a message via AIM to Seraph Send a message via Skype™ to Seraph
You have to take the driver side door apart and clean the contacts. I have seen that happen with my car before. It's easy and will take about 1/2 hour. I think I have posted info on how to do that with pictures.

Lwin
Previous SVXes: •1994 LE Barcelona Red 107k • 1992 LS-L Pearl White 143k • 1994 LSi Bordeaux Pearl 220k • 1992 LS-L Ebony Pearl 184k • 1992 LS-L Liquid Silver 145k • 1992 LS-L Liquid Silver 102k • 1992 LS-L Ebony Pearl 123k
Other current cars:2001 Jeep Grand Cherokee Black
If at first you don't succeed, CHEAT!
Old 04-12-2002, 06:08 AM
EverclearAtMSU

Quote:
Originally posted by Seraph
You have to take the driver side door apart and clean the contacts. I have seen that happen with my car before. It's easy and will take about 1/2 hour. I think I have posted info on how to do that with pictures.

Lwin
is there anything you haven't posted a how to on?

Oh, BTW, I like the new animation of the white svx
Old 04-12-2002, 06:35 AM
gcookaustin

Thanks a lot, y'all have really been helpful
Old 04-12-2002, 06:36 AM
gcookaustin

Oh, BTW I don't think my AUTO driver switch is working? The window rolls up and down but I press the switch down hard and let go and the window just stops. Is there, uh, something I'm doing wrong?
Old 04-12-2002, 07:34 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by EverclearAtMSU

is there anything you haven't posted a how to on?

Oh, BTW, I like the new animation of the white svx
Things I have not posted a how-to on:

1) How to brush one's teeth.
2) How to get into bed
you get the picture.

I can do howto on almost anything interior/electrical of the SVX. I don't do mechnical stuff. I know some but a lot of the people here can do a detail on that way better than I can. I leave that part to the pros.

As for the new white SVX, I have to keep track of what I drive. Got to keep things updated.

Lwin
Previous SVXes: •1994 LE Barcelona Red 107k • 1992 LS-L Pearl White 143k • 1994 LSi Bordeaux Pearl 220k • 1992 LS-L Ebony Pearl 184k • 1992 LS-L Liquid Silver 145k • 1992 LS-L Liquid Silver 102k • 1992 LS-L Ebony Pearl 123k
Old 04-12-2002, 10:25 AM

Send a message via ICQ to Aredubjay Send a message via AIM to Aredubjay Send a message via Yahoo to Aredubjay
Registered SVX
Quote:
Oh, BTW I don't think my AUTO driver switch is working? The window rolls up and down but I press the switch down hard and let go and the window just stops. Is there, uh, something I'm doing wrong?
Nothing you're doing wrong. More than likely, the little "box" that holds the mechanism "captive" is cracked or broken. Take care of this soon, or your driver's window will quit working soon and you'll have to buy a whole new switchbank for the driver's side controls (Around 100.00). That little "box" is virtually unrepairable if it completely breaks into pieces. When you take the switch out to clean the contacts, check the condition of that little box (you'll know what I mean when you get the switch apart). Use some epoxy to glue it back together. Make sure it's completely dry before reassembling.
Subaru Ambassador

Old 04-12-2002, 10:33 AM

Registered SVX
LWIN'S HOW-TO ON REPAIRING BEARINGS:

If the bearings fail on your Red 94 SVX-L FWD, simply buy four new ones surrounded by a Pearl '92 SVX-LS-L AWD. It's that easy.
Subaru Ambassador

Old 04-12-2002, 10:36 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Aredubjay
LWIN'S HOW-TO ON REPAIRING BEARINGS:

If the bearings fail on your Red 94 SVX-L FWD, simply buy four new ones surrounded by a Pearl '92 SVX-LS-L AWD. It's that easy.
No Randy, you got it wrong. You buy the replacement part only but the other ones came attached to the replacement part.

Lwin
Old 04-14-2002, 09:26 PM
gcookaustin

The passenger side window seems to be rolling up now from the driver's side. Still never had AUTO though. How do I open up the door? I found a total of FOUR little phillips head screws on the panel. Then I got a little imaginitive and pulled on the bottom of the panel and it unsnapped? Got scared and put it back together.
Old 04-14-2002, 09:31 PM
EverclearAtMSU

Quote:
The passenger side window seems to be rolling up now from the driver's side. Still never had AUTO though. How do I open up the door? I found a total of FOUR little phillips head screws on the panel. Then I got a little imaginitive and pulled on the bottom of the panel and it unsnapped? Got scared and put it back together.
this all depends on what screws you took out
Old 04-14-2002, 09:34 PM
gcookaustin

Oh. Well, I saw two at the front which are hidden when you close the door, one inside the "pocket" area that was more difficult to get at (or even see), and one screw around the corner which is also not visible when the door is closed. I'll do a search for removing the door. I just feel like I'm about to break something I can't afford when I pull on the door panel...
Old 04-14-2002, 09:51 PM
gcookaustin

Quote:
Originally posted by Aredubjay

Nothing you're doing wrong. More than likely, the little "box" that holds the mechanism "captive" is cracked or broken. Take care of this soon, or your driver's window will quit working soon and you'll have to buy a whole new switchbank for the driver's side controls (Around 100.00). That little "box" is virtually unrepairable if it completely breaks into pieces. When you take the switch out to clean the contacts, check the condition of that little box (you'll know what I mean when you get the switch apart). Use some epoxy to glue it back together. Make sure it's completely dry before reassembling.
I looked on subaruparts.com and couldn't find the switch cluster, just the individual switches. Say it did break before I was able to get to it; where would I find one?