Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 12-02-2003, 04:22 AM

Re: Rain X

Quote:
Originally posted by red95svx
I loved the Rain X that you added to your washer fluid......every time you washed the windshield another coat of Rain X was applied. You could do this even if it was already raining. The stuff worked great but I can't find it any more

David

p.s I've seen the "wiper wings" that add downforce when driving at high speeds. The local parts shops sell them pretty cheap.
DOn't mean to sound over simplistic but Walmart seems to always have this washer fluid. I use to use it but I noticed it left spots on my paint where it shoots out of the sprayers. anything that leaves spots isn't GOOD. Rain X does say "Do not apply to paint".
So I stopped and just USe RainX.. Used it for many many many years now and For people like me who can't see worth beans at night, when it's raining.. TRUST RainX keeps you safe..

Bon Ami is old Secret for removing rather stubborn deposite, like left over wiper residue that builds up. but it won't fully desolve a mineral I don't think. Bon ami has many uses.. It also helps that the Wiper blades themselves are Cleaned well. ALcohol followed by Either a product called Wiper restor, OR Slick stick works Very well. ALL this can be found at some Wal marts. Gota love that place.
Slick stick I think was made for dealers. If you can find it, buy a few. maybe 2 bucks..
you'll like it.. Does exactly what it sounds like. Makes them slick quite ( no stubbling) and GOOD as new.

One post mentioned that his wipers just spread the water around... um, ya either need some NEW ones or the blade is dirty and oxidized.. Rubber gets old and crappy.

CLR on your paint? I dunno about that one now.CLR on the glass makes sense. NOT on paint though.. Acid rain Etches paint over time.. GO to a detailer there is a large assortment of chemicals they use to polish it all out..

The greatest Paint I have seen is Emron. If I could find a correct color match and IF it would take some Mica flake or whatever it is.. Trust it would possibly end OUR Chipping hoods. It always looks "WET". Hard to scratch. and no it is not cheap.
but hey you won't have to ever paint it again.
Emron is used or was used on a lot of aircrafts. so it was made to withstand Extreme conditions.
Best to find someone who has used Emron before.. cause it's a bit different.

Just my 2 cents.
SVX1999

BTW 90mph in the rain. um the SVX is wonderfull in the rain, if you got GOOD tires. NO matter how good of a tire, standing water, and 90 mph.. hmm sounds like a BOAT to me.
Old 12-02-2003, 05:16 AM
Making tires round, Six now :)

I could not believe my eyes this morning when I saw this old thread reappear. It is very informative. Thank you.
I would like to know if you use rain-X on your windshield as I think you have said that? I would also like to know what you would recommend to remove a film from the windshield? The film shows up when the wiper goes past and then fads away. I put on a new wiper and that helped for awhile but the film was still there. It just went away faster when the wiper went past. Now however the film is lasting longer. I have this on 2 of my cars and I think it may have come from Rain-x cleaner with anti-fog additive. So thanks for your 2 cents and what do we get for a nickel?
Old 12-03-2003, 10:49 AM
Anti-BS Vigilante

Send a message via ICQ to Chicane Send a message via AIM to Chicane
I'd like to make a contribution as well. To anyone having a 'wiper liftoff' problem at highway speeds, I recommend purchasing some rather pricey Bosch triple edge wipers. Not only are they streak free, but the wiper 'frame' has a lot of holes in it, to help decrease wind resistence, thus it stays on the windshield better.

- Rob

PS: Anyone have a pic of factory OEM 'nubbed' wipers? I'd like to add nubs to mine so the blade does't get distorted when it rests on the wiper rests.
Old 12-03-2003, 11:44 AM
Word to Yo Motha

Send a message via AIM to SVXer95
Rain-X

I have a friend that works @ Valeo wiper systems and he told me not to use Rain-X. He said that the stuff will eat away at your wipers and over time make them worse.

I also find the stuff very difficult to apply and never buffs out completely.

1995 L AWD
Locker

1987 Porsche 944 turbo
80k miles. MBC + Chips. Relatively Stock
Old 12-03-2003, 04:07 PM

Send a message via Skype™ to Andy
I can vouch for perfect screen clearance at 120mph in torrential rain for 2 hours continuous.

And the secret..............

.....................all stock

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If I would be a young man again and had to decide how to make my living, I
would not try to become a scientist or scholar or teacher. I would rather
choose to be a plumber or a peddler in the hope to find that modest degree
of independence still available under present circumstances.
-- Albert Einstein, The Reporter, November 18 1954
Old 12-03-2003, 04:18 PM
Rat Fink Member ~:o)

Send a message via ICQ to Aredubjay Send a message via AIM to Aredubjay Send a message via Yahoo to Aredubjay
Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally posted by Andy
I can vouch for perfect screen clearance at 120mph in torrential rain for 2 hours continuous.

And the secret..............
.....................all stock
I had trouble with wiper lift at about 60-80 MPH. I replaced the A/M wipers with the "nubby" OEM's and haven't had a bit of trouble since.
First to arrive at the very first Reading Meet
Subaru Ambassador

1992 SVX PPG Pace Car Replica 110+k
1993 White Impreza L 240+K miles
2001 Legacy Outback Limited Sedan 250+K miles
2013 Deep Indigo Pearl Legacy 3.6R 49+K miles

"Reading is my favorite Holiday"
Mike Davis -- at Reading VI
Old 12-03-2003, 04:19 PM
red95svx

available again

SVX1999,

Yes, in the year and a half since I wrote that post, I have been able to find the rain-x washer fluid additive.

I think the stuff is awesome. No buffing, no rubbing.....just dump it in your washer fluid tank and wash your windshield with your squirters. I don't care if it does slowly eat away at your wipers. I'm not willing to risk life or limb just to save a few bucks on wipers. I'll take the improved rainy-night vision and replace my wipers more often if that's what it takes.

Dave
Old 12-03-2003, 05:32 PM

Well I still have this film on my window It's really hard to see when it is rainy and dark.
Old 03-13-2004, 12:36 PM
Subaru Gold Contributor

Film

Quote:
Originally posted by svx_commuter
Well I still have this film on my window It's really hard to see when it is rainy and dark.
Hi SVX_commuter, I think what you have is a combination of road crud and car wash wax. Even when I tell the guy not to put wax in the rinse water there is still some left from the last car that went through. I like Bob Ami, and I like the idea of Vineger for mineral deposits. Once you clean off the windshield, new blades are in order as the old blades will have a coating of crud on them and will spread it on the clean windshield to once again smear the glass. The only blade I have found that works at hi-way speeds, are the OEM blades. As a wiper blade extra, My Subaru Legacy has an airfoil on the driver side wiper arm. My wifes 2001 Ford Focus (ask me about this at Reading) has an airfoil on the driver side BLADE. This blade is a direct fit to the driver side blade on the SVX. No, it does not have the nub. NEXT

Last edited by Bobb; 03-13-2004 at 12:46 PM.
Old 03-13-2004, 12:43 PM
Subaru Gold Contributor

Blades

Numero dos, I have tried the Bosch blades, and find that they lift at speed. Even with all the holes. In the last post I was talking about cars other than my SVX. Since I had my SVX refinished last spring, it has only been hand washed. So, whats the answer to clear streak free windshields. I'm looking at a force field. Take care, BOBB

P/S The Ford Focus blade frame is all metal(except the rubber blade) and is ouite a bit heavier than our SVX OEM balde. Also you used to be able to get OEM blade refills, but not anymore. Hey mike do you know someone at SOA parts that could get some of those? "B"

Last edited by Bobb; 03-13-2004 at 12:52 PM.
Old 03-15-2004, 08:51 AM

Bobb
Thanks for the reply and I do agree that it is car wash wax. I have not been successful with the Bon Ami but I have found that 409 or Fantastic works well. I also agree with the wipers getting coated. So now I have to try the Bon Ami after I replace wipers again. Maybe I'll clen the waipers with 409.

I would like to hear about the Focus blades. See you then

John
Old 03-15-2004, 04:41 PM
Yeah, it's a poodle - so what?

Quote:
Originally posted by DavieGravy

I have mineral deposits all over my FREAKING CAR from sprinklers. They won't come off. I've tried rubbing compound, paint cleaner, polish, and wax and I can't get it off no matter what I do. CLR is the only stuff I've used that works. Or should I say somewhat works. I've been rubbing it on my paint. But even that stuff only works about 40% I'm ready to say the F**K with it and get MACO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Try a vinegar solution. Work fast, it may eat the paint a little.

Then wax it with the best wax I've ever found, Malm's Carnauba (available online). Expensive, but worth it.
2001 Outback Sport
Old 03-15-2004, 07:59 PM
Subaru Gold Contributor

Focus Blade

Quote:
Originally posted by svx_commuter
Bobb

I would like to hear about the Focus blades. See you then

John
Hi John, The ford Focus blades are for a 2001 Ford Focus drivers side replacement blade. It has an airfoil on the blade but does not have the nub to lift the blade from the glass. I think that quite a few SVX do not have the OEM blade that came on the car when new. Those are my personel favorites, and although a little pricey are worth it. IMHO Take care, BOBB
Old 03-15-2004, 08:43 PM
What Potholes ???
Subaru Bronze Contributor

Registered SVX
earlier in the thread there is mention of the scratches in the up & down front windows. Does anybody have a good method of removing them, aside from replacement.

92 Pearl White Ls-l (138k) Euro Headlights & Blinkers, 97 Grill, Euro Tail Lights, SS Brake Lines, Stebro Exhaust, Slotted Rotors, Classic Registration
96 Legacy Outback (206k) 5-speed 2.2 Lightweight Crank Pulley, Group N Trans & Motor Mounts SOLD
Wanted: Steering Wheel
Old 03-16-2004, 06:27 AM

I have scratches as you say. I drove behind a concrete truck one hot dry day. The hard dust did them in. I talked with all the glass shops in my area and polishing was not recomended as it would take forever and the heat would most likely break the glass. So if anyone else has any fixes please let us know.

I have been thinking about polyureathane or some other kind of filler. Something that would work on the pitted windshield would be nice too.