Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 10-07-2006, 05:26 PM

Magnaflow Exhaust BUZZ

Okay so i had some performance exhaust added to my svx Magnaflow and am regretting it. Around town driving(3000Rpm) acceleration there is an extremely annoying buzz coming from the back end. I took it to a friend and they said it was in the pipes or the resonator/muffler is messed. I've heard other problems with the custom exhaust and having the buzz... Any way to get rid of it... Im taking it back in on tuesday next week so i'll ask then...but i just want to see if theres an obvious problem...Iits not heat shields or anything loose either cuz ive already checked...thx in advance Benny.
Old 10-07-2006, 09:06 PM
Inhabitant of Darkness

Registered SVX
is that buzz actually your exhaust system itself...i mean that some exhaust system setups.....well...lets' say when you see a cheap fireball exhaust on some piece of **** civic...that would buzz.....
i think it might be just the setup itself. ~ higher air flow
1992 Subaru SVX LS~L Ebony Pearl JDM 6MT/DCCD
2007 Subaru Legacy Spec B. Diamond Grey Metallic
Old 10-07-2006, 09:19 PM
word words wording

Send a message via AIM to SomethingElse Send a message via MSN to SomethingElse
Im assuming you removed your front cats. if so then you need to put some back on..there are some on ebay you can pick up pretty cheap around 45 bux shipped each. thats what I had to do ...

Rebuilt P/S pump info... http://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=50918

If your car wont start info... http://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/show...ighlight=click
Old 10-08-2006, 12:00 AM

Send a message via AIM to subru92svx
Magnaflow also makes some nice 2" in 2" out precats. I believe the part number is 50004. They are kind of expensive, but I am going to get them for my exhaust to put them in place where stock ones used to be and get rid of that buzzing at 3k. The rest of my exhaust is all Magnaflow so I figured might as well stay with the same brand.
Old 10-08-2006, 12:44 PM
Registered Abuser

Quote:
Originally Posted by benjaminbreeze
Okay so i had some performance exhaust added to my svx Magnaflow and am regretting it. Around town driving(3000Rpm) acceleration there is an extremely annoying buzz coming from the back end. I took it to a friend and they said it was in the pipes or the resonator/muffler is messed. I've heard other problems with the custom exhaust and having the buzz... Any way to get rid of it... Im taking it back in on tuesday next week so i'll ask then...but i just want to see if theres an obvious problem...Iits not heat shields or anything loose either cuz ive already checked...thx in advance Benny.
I got that same buzz in my system when I mounted the transverse mount Magnaflow muffler on there without the factory resonator. I just clamped in a Dynomax Bullet Race Muffler between the main cat and the muffler and it sounded awesome with no buzz.
Old 10-08-2006, 04:25 PM

i think the mechanic removed all the cats...precats and main cat...i told him not to but he did anyway...thats the reason i guess...that sucks. i hope he redoes it...he probably junked it all..oh well
Old 10-10-2006, 05:09 PM

holy crap...took it back to him and he blamed it on my exhaust tips...(i used the stock ones) the resonation sounds liek its coming from the muffler...im thinkin im gonna call his bluff to charge me for those tips. i think thats retarded honestly...having stock tips and a high flow exhaust can't cause a large resonation/buzz can it? it's the precats/cat being removed. even so, is there someone who can verify anything for me?
Old 10-12-2006, 03:49 PM
Registered Abuser

Quote:
holy crap...took it back to him and he blamed it on my exhaust tips...(i used the stock ones) the resonation sounds liek its coming from the muffler...im thinkin im gonna call his bluff to charge me for those tips. i think thats retarded honestly...having stock tips and a high flow exhaust can't cause a large resonation/buzz can it? it's the precats/cat being removed. even so, is there someone who can verify anything for me?
Doesn't Canada have laws against removing cats and not putting them back? In the US, you cannot remove any piece of smog equipment regardless of where you live or if you have to test or not. What exactly in the tip can cause a buzz? That sounds like a load.

Stephen
Old 10-12-2006, 04:09 PM
Meow!

Send a message via ICQ to Earthworm Send a message via AIM to Earthworm Send a message via MSN to Earthworm Send a message via Yahoo to Earthworm Send a message via Skype™ to Earthworm
Yes we're not supposed to remove cats either but, at least here, there are no smog tests.
Old 10-12-2006, 04:11 PM
Own'eded

Send a message via AIM to curly2k3 Send a message via MSN to curly2k3
same here, but no emmisions testing= mad removal. lol
Old 10-12-2006, 06:23 PM

In alberta there are no emissions tests and you can get away with it for now...
UPDATE!
it apears actualy like he didnt remove the precats just the cat so it goes precats into a custom y into a resonator into the magnaflow(Motorsport#).
The resonation starts in/around the y and continues...from behind the exhaust doesn't sound too bad but from the side it sounds like a go-cart...is there too much airflow into the y pipe? or what?
Old 10-12-2006, 06:48 PM
Subaru Gold Contributor

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX
Quote:
In alberta there are no emissions tests and you can get away with it for now...
UPDATE!
it apears actualy like he didnt remove the precats just the cat so it goes precats into a custom y into a resonator into the magnaflow(Motorsport#).
The resonation starts in/around the y and continues...from behind the exhaust doesn't sound too bad but from the side it sounds like a go-cart...is there too much airflow into the y pipe? or what?
Replacing the secondary cat with a Y pipe to join the two header pipes is a NO NO.
From another post.

"There seemed to be a few different exhaust mods that had that resonance. The ones where the two header pipes are joined with a Y pipe, instead of joining in the low pressure area in the front of the secondary cat, will have gas pressure problems besides any sonic problems, as the unexpanded gas pressure can travel up the other header pipe to enter the open exhaust valve on that side. While the two header pipes join in the front of the secondary cat, the gas pressure and the sonic wave that enters the other pipe will be at a low intensity."

Harvey.

95 Lsi. Bordeaux Pearl, Aust. RHD.149,000Kls Subaru BBS wheels.
97 Liberty GX Auto sedan. 320,000Kls.
04 Liberty 30R Auto Premium. 92.000kls.
Old 10-13-2006, 04:02 PM

so running my car on this exhaust could cause damages?
Old 10-14-2006, 10:11 AM

I made my exhaust last year, and haven't had one mechanical problem. I experiance a resonating at 2K. It's really annoying, but I like the tone at WOT. Plus with the exhaust and intake I made I get 26-28 mpg.