Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 10-04-2006, 10:00 PM
Team ROUND 1

Send a message via Yahoo to 1320boy
Unhappy Big problem!!!

Car keeps overheating. I put water in her, the fans work, no leaks. Im stumped. besides my Accord (blueberry) my SVX is my only means of transportation. Open to any sugestions as long as no one says sell any of em.
But still pissed.

Anyone have any........ well...... anything????????

Anything helps.

Steven
Old 10-04-2006, 10:28 PM
Maniac modifier

Registered SVX Classic SVX
Is this all of a sudden or did u change the fluid lately?? water pump change etc??

Tom
Old 10-04-2006, 10:53 PM
Team ROUND 1

All of a sudden. This car ran like a top till a few days ago. and as far as changing fluids, I need to change the oil soon.
I even (just to make sure) i filled it today and didnt spill a drop. Half hour of driving it overheats.... i let it cool for a bit and BAM. Out of water.
Old 10-04-2006, 10:57 PM
1995 Subaru SVX LSi Polo Green

Send a message via ICQ to Manarius Send a message via AIM to Manarius Send a message via MSN to Manarius Send a message via Yahoo to Manarius Send a message via Skype™ to Manarius
Registered SVX
Block in the system? More specifically the radiator perhaps?
(8/23/07-Present) 1995 Subaru SVX LSi (197k) Polo Green (#1102) 03/95
Mods: DDM Tuning 4500k 35w Low Beam HID, 100w H3 Bulbs, Extra Ground Cables, 15 minute $12.96 mod,
svxfiles designed transmission mount (), sporting a "new" tail light bar,
silver BBS rims, custom power steering cooler (one that doesn't dump ATF constantly), new negative lead cable, no more third or fourth gear
(1977-Present) 1977 Chevrolet Corvette (81k) Silver
(12/01/2011-Present) 2005 Subaru Outback 2.5i Limited 5MT (97k)
I have a bad feeling about this.
-Obi Wan Kenobi
Old 10-04-2006, 11:56 PM
Maniac modifier

Registered SVX Classic SVX
well aparently it sounds like you are losing it somewhere. May be as simple as a leak, lets start there. Try and let it idle for a little while and see if you can find it dripping somewhere

Tom
Old 10-05-2006, 07:54 AM

I presume the oil isn't showing any coolant in it? If so, head gasket could be the issue. One of my early cars developed some play in the water pump bearing and the impeller started to oscillate just a little bit out of round. The impeller tip (iron component) started to wear the front side of the aluminum timing chain / sprocket cover and developed a squirt gun size hole that would let coolant through as soon as the coolant heated and developed pressure. Took me two dis-assemblies to find that one & only by holding the cover up to a bright back-light could I see the tiny hole that was allowing the coolant to mix in with my oil. A spot of JB Weld and it held for another year & a half I owned it. That wasn't a Subaru but sometimes things like this come down to the unexpected as far as causes goes. Good luck with your diagnosis & hope it's a relatively easy fix for ya.
Old 10-06-2006, 03:39 AM

I'm suprised no one suggested possibly the most easy (and common? Duno) problem that could cause this : bad thermostat.

This happened on my first car, some old beater AE86, and found the thermostat simply did not function. Was an easy and painless fix.
Old 10-06-2006, 09:28 AM

Radiator

Quote:
Originally Posted by stallion
I'm suprised no one suggested possibly the most easy (and common? Duno) problem that could cause this : bad thermostat.

This happened on my first car, some old beater AE86, and found the thermostat simply did not function. Was an easy and painless fix.
Thermostat is a great place to start, but first check for leaks and oil in coolant and visa versa (simple check). If you are not leaking, replace the thermostat. If that doesn't do it, try seeing if the heater will cool you back down. If it cools down quickly, then it sounds like a radiator problem. I just went through this. I did a reverse pressurized flush of my radiator, and it solved my problem. Check out my overheating thread.

Let us know how you make out.

Good Luck

Chuck D.
Old 10-06-2006, 01:16 PM
Meow!

Send a message via ICQ to Earthworm Send a message via AIM to Earthworm Send a message via MSN to Earthworm Send a message via Yahoo to Earthworm Send a message via Skype™ to Earthworm
Considering you're out of coolant I would say either headgasket, head, water pump or cracked radiator.
Old 10-06-2006, 01:18 PM

Hows the coolant/distilled water mixture ratio? Obviously too much water w/o coolant will evaporate like a snap...learned this the hard way with my first car too Just throwing out the easy problem possibilities for ya..
Old 10-06-2006, 08:15 PM
Team ROUND 1

Thank you all for your sudgestions, Im going to check all of those posibilities tomarro morning. Hopefully one of those might be the senerio But i guess i'll find out soon.