Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-04-2002, 06:32 PM
punisher

AWD Sporty Type Cars

Anyone know of any decently priced AWD sporty type cars other than Subarus? I think Eagle Talon made an AWD model back in the day...same with the eclipse...any others come to mind? I'm looking for something that will handle snow no problem but still keep it's agility.
Old 04-04-2002, 06:38 PM
alacrity024

if you look in the right places you might find an old AWD turbocharged Celica. Also look into a '91 or '92 turbo legacy sedan. I've never driven or ridden in one, but you can't beat a turbocharged flat-4 in the snow. You mentioned the eclipse/talon, and i'd assume that's a pretty good bet. If we lived in western europe I think you'd have a little more to choose from.

-Adam
Old 04-04-2002, 08:14 PM
Hitchhikin'

Depends on your idea of decently priced.... the mitsubishi 3000GT VR-4 is AWD, fairly fast... but I wouldn't call it decently priced... An old Celica is a good idea, but I always thought the AWD models of those cars were rare. The main best bet is the Mitsubishi Eclipse GSX. Good price, good power, great tunability.
Old 04-04-2002, 08:21 PM
EverclearAtMSU

Quote:
Originally posted by Red SVX 92
Depends on your idea of decently priced.... the mitsubishi 3000GT VR-4 is AWD, fairly fast... but I wouldn't call it decently priced... An old Celica is a good idea, but I always thought the AWD models of those cars were rare. The main best bet is the Mitsubishi Eclipse GSX. Good price, good power, great tunability.
the VR-4 is actually really fast! my friend got his 95 w/ 80K for a little under 10K plus it has aws (all wheel steering)

I found the GSX's to be a little over priced for what they are. Although they are a little more rare and you can mod the sh*t out of them. Then you go really fast in the snow
Old 04-04-2002, 08:29 PM
punisher

I'm salavating over the auctions I saw on ebay for the GSX...good call. It looks like they arent gonna go for anything under 8 k though.
Old 04-04-2002, 08:31 PM
Hitchhikin'

the VR-4 IS fast... I won't argue with 320 hp stock... convert it to single turbo, and 500 hp+ isn't far off. But 3900 lbs is a whole lot of weight. But I still prefer the GSX. Cheaper initial price, $1000 worth of mods will get you a 400 hp car, and it's faster and lighter at the drags.

Last edited by Red SVX 92; 04-04-2002 at 08:34 PM.
Old 04-04-2002, 08:35 PM
punisher

WOW...

I seriously can not comprehend of 400+ hp in an all wheel drive mid 90's car. Would a car like that hold together though with all that extra??? I imagine you'd be revving down the highway and it would just start to dissinigrate on you.
Old 04-04-2002, 08:38 PM
Hitchhikin'

Well, the GSX stock is a very crappy car.. Prone to breakdowns, etc. But once you replace the main components with stronger aftermarket parts, you generally do fine. Also, one hint. If you want looks, get a 94+ GSX. if you want a better built, more reliable car, get one that's 93 or older.
Old 04-04-2002, 08:54 PM
EverclearAtMSU

Quote:
Originally posted by Red SVX 92
the VR-4 IS fast... I won't argue with 320 hp stock... convert it to single turbo, and 500 hp+ isn't far off. But 3900 lbs is a whole lot of weight. But I still prefer the GSX. Cheaper initial price, $1000 worth of mods will get you a 400 hp car, and it's faster and lighter at the drags.
well are we talking a practical/fun car or something that will go very fast in a straight line?

Plus your a SVX owner, you've got to be original, how many eclipses do you see on a daily bases as apposed to a vr4, better yet, compared to how many svx's you see
Old 04-04-2002, 09:17 PM
0260N4

I had an 92 Eagle Talon TSi which was an AWD turbo and it was FAST. It would destroy an SVX off the line through about 2nd gear where the SVX would eat it alive. Weight makes a big difference here since the TSi is much much lighter than the SVX. Fun fun car to drive though and lots of mods available if you were so inclined. Not nearly as nice of a ride as the SVX though. Not to mention when I broke the timing belt it destroyed the engine. $2000 out the window like that *snap*. The Talon did really well in snow and actually did a little better than the SVX because it has slightly more ground clearance. I would be more inclinced to go for an Eclipse GSX if only because parts are easier to get (its the same car, different badging).
Old 04-04-2002, 11:28 PM
SVX Black Belt Master

AWD? Eagle? Sporty?!? You must be referring to the ultra-rare and fabulous Kammback! Most folks would just consider it a run-of-the-mill Gremlin X. Most folks would be very-very wrong. For the ultimate 4X4 experience, find yourself a good (old) Kammback.
'02 Black Sapphire Volvo V40, 133K - "Shadowfax"
'06 Triumph Tiger, 19K
'99 Suzuki DR350SE, 8.5K - "Geezer Killer"
<*}}}}>< ~ ~ ~
~ ~ ~ ~ ><{{{{*>
Old 04-05-2002, 12:31 AM
92_SVX_LSL

when i was car shopping i looked at both a Talon and an Eclipse. I liked the Talon better than the Eclipse performance wise, but the Eclipse had better styling. I drove a '95 Eagle Talon with 47 k miles and it was a TSI AWD. It was a 5 spd and very fast off the line but lost it's ump around 3rd gear. I drove it about 10 miles and used almost a quarter tank of gas. I didn't like that. Then i was talking to a guy that used to work at "Big Boy's Toys" in Washington and he said that talon's were a P.O.S. He said that once you hit 90,000 or so everything starts to go out, unless they were really well taken care of. I guess that they don't take that much abuse. It's a cheap Eclipse i guess. But i don't know if he was correct or blowing smoke. I would have got a Talon but one of my mom's friends suggested the SVX. I didn't like the styling but once i drove it i liked it. Much smoother and seemed to have a broader power span. I think that if they would ahve made a manual SVX it would have beaten a talon anyday.

Last edited by 92_SVX_LSL; 04-05-2002 at 12:33 AM.
Old 04-05-2002, 05:42 AM
Inventor of the 5-speed swap

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX
If you're looking for cheap sporty AWD cars look at the older subie's the Turbo XT's and the XT-6's, and the RX-Turbo's all of which were great in the snow, and I kind of like the styling (though many don't) I've owner one of each of these and loved them all, my old XT-6 would spin all 4 tires....and that was with an auto.
I'm pretty sure all of these cars weighed less than 3000 lbs, the XT-Turbo was like 2500, but I think the XT-6 was about 2900
I got the Xt-Turbo for less than $500, it was a 1 owner, but needed a little work(air suspension).
A perfect example of an XT-6 can be had for less than 3000.
Just something to think about.
88 XT6 AWD 5-Speed "Bride of FrankenWedge"
15 Impreza Premium Sedan
15 Crosstrek XV 5-Speed
My 5-Speed "How-To" Write-up
1976 Pontiac Firebird Formula
Current Count of Subaru's Owned.... "70"
Old 04-05-2002, 08:01 AM
still in love with Hannah

The second gen Eclipse and Talons have a nasty habit of developing crankwalk. My 95 GSX AWD had it twice.
1996 Legacy Outback-"Gilda" white with brown trim
Old 04-05-2002, 08:47 AM
alacrity024

Huck you had an RX?? Me too!! mine was black.. there's an old picture of it at: http://geocities.com/alacrity024/cars.html (part of a verrrrry old homepage of mine) I sold my RX when I bought the SVX.. I'm actually pretty upset that i had to sell it. I always thought the RX would be a superb rally machine. It handled snow, mud, rain, dirt, gravel, ashphalt, AMAZINGLY.. The full-time 4wd & turbo combination was unbeatable.. shame about the low output though.

-Adam