Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-04-2006, 12:16 PM
crimsonnblue

Changed front pads... now it smells and gets hot

I changed the front pads today at my father in-laws house. Everything seemed pretty fine. It drove well home but I started to smell this burning. I live about 3 miles from his house and everytime I stopped at a light I could smell it. So I parked it. Found that the smell is coming from the front right wheel. It is also pretty hot compared to the other one. I jacked it up, took of the wheel and just looked at it again, nothing seemed to unusual. What could this be? Im afraid to drive it.

Thanks Guys
Old 07-04-2006, 12:28 PM
#1 6MT In Cali

Send a message via AIM to gest24
Did you do the proper Bed-in of the pads? Did you clean the rotors with Brake Cleaner before putting them back on? Does the pedal/brakes feel mushy?

With new pads you'll have a bad smell for a little while the pads are bedding in. As for the hot-brake situation, something might be hanging up causing the pad to drag on the rotor. Hope some of this helps. It's been a little bit since I've done my brakes so I can't remember off hand what else can be fouling up.
1992 SVX LS-L: Now TomStock Stage 3... 6MT, R180 Rear, Tomstock Short Shifter and hard rubber mount, Group N Motor and Tranny Mount, Stage 2V6 Chip, Z32 MAF, Stage 3 CAI, Stebro, Intake Cams, 17" STi BBS Powder Coated Black, Bridgestone Potenza RE070, and Koni inserts w/Mychailo's Springs!

Sand Diego SCCA Solo 2 #308

RIP
84 VW Scirocco
02 WRX
88 XT6(regret the day I left her behind)

socaleuro.com They like the flat 6...

Check My New Homepage..
Old 07-04-2006, 12:32 PM
crimsonnblue

The brakes feel normal when using them. I did not use any cleaner on the rotors but I did a pretty good wipe job with a rag. So if the pads are rubbing then its going to get hot like that?
Old 07-04-2006, 12:33 PM

You caliper might be seized. Try rotating that wheel with your hands...If it doesnt move freely get a caliper at AutoZone.
Old 07-04-2006, 02:18 PM
#1 6MT In Cali

Send a message via AIM to gest24
Quote:
Originally Posted by triumph1902
You caliper might be seized. Try rotating that wheel with your hands...If it doesnt move freely get a caliper at AutoZone.
Agreed... Yes, draggin on the rotor is what causes hot brakes. Check and make sure the wheel turns freely. If not follow Triumph's advice.
1992 SVX LS-L: Now TomStock Stage 3... 6MT, R180 Rear, Tomstock Short Shifter and hard rubber mount, Group N Motor and Tranny Mount, Stage 2V6 Chip, Z32 MAF, Stage 3 CAI, Stebro, Intake Cams, 17" STi BBS Powder Coated Black, Bridgestone Potenza RE070, and Koni inserts w/Mychailo's Springs!

Sand Diego SCCA Solo 2 #308

RIP
84 VW Scirocco
02 WRX
88 XT6(regret the day I left her behind)

socaleuro.com They like the flat 6...

Check My New Homepage..
Old 07-04-2006, 10:45 PM
Locker Link Solution

yeah, the packing grease on rotors would just burn off. I'd assume bad caliper too.
In progess: track down mystery noise <-identified, paint the new dash, get better pic
Spring plans: Replace Trans - Integrate ECU with the carputer - Suspension - Go back to STI Filter - Paint? Maybe not - Next Oil change: Purolator L30165

Member #995 | My Locker | My New Locker

Catch you next at: ? Auto-X ?
Old 07-04-2006, 11:00 PM

Send a message via ICQ to Mr. Pockets
Registered SVX
Subaru calipers are notorioius for dragging. The slides get dirty or dry and drag one od the pads against the rotor. The wheel will definitely get hot and you may even hear a rubbing sound after braking.

It doesn't necessarily mean you need a new caliper. I have fixed lots of them by taking the caliper off, cleaning the slides, and reassembling with caliper grease. If there's ny corrosion or grime built up on the slide, use some steel wool or very fine sand paper to get it off. And that last part is important - you must use caliper grease.

If the boots for the slides are torn, then it might be time for a new caliper. I'm not sure whether or not you can get a rebuild kit for these, or even whether it's worth it.

2005 RX-8 Grand Touring
2005 Outback
2002 Mercedes-Benz E320 wagon

END OF LINE
Old 07-05-2006, 04:46 PM
Not as old as Randy

Significant Technical Input
Uh, if the caliper(s) are sticking I would think it would have been dang difficult to push the pistons back in.

Check and see if you have the brake hose twisted and restricted. That happens many times when people reassemble their brakes. They don't notice that the caliper has been twirled when off.