How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-28-2006, 07:51 PM

soft brakes

My Brakes are quite soft compared to most other cars i have driven. do I need a brake tune-up, or is this just a characteristic of the svx because of the weight and undersized rotors? I would say my brakes take as much pressure as my half-ton gmc work truck takes to stop.
Old 06-29-2006, 05:00 AM
It's just a phase

Send a message via Yahoo to msvx95
Registered SVX
Maybe you glazed over the rotors with too much heat....I'd say get new pads and get the rotors re-turned.
Old 06-29-2006, 06:01 AM
Cruisin' in Gator Country
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Registered SVX Classic SVX
This has been bothering me too. My '94 has less boost to the brakes compared to my '92. You have to stand on the brakes hard. And it has new slotted rotors. Maybe the calipers need rebuilding?
Gene
1994 SVX LSi AWD 95K - Emerald Pearl (sold)
1992 SVX LS-L AWD 115K - Dark Teal 4.44 swap (sold)
Old 06-29-2006, 09:42 AM
It's just a phase

Send a message via Yahoo to msvx95
Registered SVX
maybe the brake booster isn't working properly....push the brake pedal a few times to eliminate the excess travel while the car is off.
Did you eliminate all the air out of the lines when you bled the brakes after installing the rotors?
Old 06-29-2006, 10:04 AM

If by "soft" you mean, soft pedal, I agree that's probably a power assist or hydraulic issue. Will the pedal hold steady, or eventually go to the floor?

dcb
Old 06-29-2006, 10:49 AM
Cruisin' in Gator Country
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Registered SVX Classic SVX
The pedal isn't soft, the breaks just don't grab hard. Was the same before the rotors. My mechanic thinks it might be the booster. It that a tough job? Fluid seems fine.
Gene
1994 SVX LSi AWD 95K - Emerald Pearl (sold)
1992 SVX LS-L AWD 115K - Dark Teal 4.44 swap (sold)
Old 06-29-2006, 07:43 PM
Thread Killah
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Registered SVX
flush the brake fluid out.
my brake pedal is hard as a rock. when it starts to feel soft I replace the fluid.
92 Ebony LS-L ECUtune Stage2av1, Z32 MAF, 370cc injectors, TomsSVX intake, BontragerWorks 22mm RSB #003, HID Hi and Lo beams, OT endlink and bushing mods, PWR Aluminum radiator, Harvey's QC shift kit, 2.5" flowmaster 80 exhaust, 17" Michelin Pilot Sport A/S, Poly sway bar bushings, Slotted Bradi rotors, AFBeefcake powdercoated calipers, 97 grill, and a huge set of air horns. 300,000 miles and counting
92 Ebony LS-L. ecutune stage1v4, motorsport 1pc pulley. Garage Queen - sold to Dad in upstate NY 155,000 miles
19 Subaru Ascent Premium - -Hers !.
89 DL 4x4 little red wagon - a.k.a. The immortal suby. 275k R.I.P.
Old 06-30-2006, 10:19 AM
Meow!

Send a message via ICQ to Earthworm Send a message via AIM to Earthworm Send a message via MSN to Earthworm Send a message via Yahoo to Earthworm Send a message via Skype™ to Earthworm
I flushed the fluid twice in my car following the directions from the FSM. My breaks require lots of pressure to stop the car but after a couple hard stops to heat up the (KVR Performance) pads they really start to bite.
Old 07-01-2006, 10:07 AM

i think i will try new fluid, it doesnt seem like a major component issue, the pedal is just not as responsive as i would like. Also, when i am going slow, (only when brake is applied) there is a click from the rear right wheel. at first i thought it was something to do with the bearings, but i think its time for a brake overhaul. my abs light keeps coming on as well!
Old 07-01-2006, 12:53 PM
Not as old as Randy

Significant Technical Input
Vacuum boosters don't make soft pedals. Quick test: engine off, pump pedal several times to deplete vacuum reserve. Hold foot on pedal, about 5# force, and start engine. Pedal should drop, indicating booster works. Pretty simple.

Bad master cylinders don't make soft pedals. Falling pedals, pedals on the floor, frozen pedals, etc. could be master cylinder defects.

Bad brake hoses, that expand under pressure, can make a soft pedal.

Really cheap, soft rotors and/or drums can make for soft pedals. Over-sized drums can too.

Cheap, crappy pads can make for soft, spongy pedals and/or extended stopping distances. Some pads are so cheap - not inexpensive - (and believe me, I've seem some name brands straight out of the box do this) that you can actually see the friction material compress while someone stands on the pedal.

Loose caliper mounts and hardware can make for low/soft pedals as can loose/worn wheel bearings.

Physics, anyone? What's the difference between gases and fluids? That's right, fluids don't compress, gases do. Air in the brake fluid will compress and give a soft pedal. Caveat: heat a fluid past its boiling point and.....? Right again, it becomes a gas.

Brake fluid notes: DOT3 or DOT4 is more than adequate for anyone here on the highway. DOT5 silicone fluid is not compatible with DOT3 or 4, requires complete replacement of all rubber items in the hydraulic system, including ABS components and thorough flushing of the remaining steel components. DOT5 is NOT recommended for street use for one extremely large reason: It does NOT absorb moisture! Think about it... moisture is in the air, there's no getting around it. DOT 3 & 4 brake fluid is like any other petroleum based fluid, it's hygroscopic, meaning that it attracts and absorbs moisture. DOT 3 & 4 hold this moisture and disperse it throughout the entire system. Here's where it gets good: not all of the brake fluid in the system is subjected to the extreme high heat found in the calipers and wheel cylinders so the highly dispersed moisture has little effect on brake pressure because of steaming and compression. Now, in a DOT 5 system, any collected moisture eventually makes it way to the lowest points in the system, being that it is heavier and can't be absorbed and dispersed. So, what's the lowest/furthest points? The wheel cylinders and calipers, of course! Now you have a high concentration of moisture exactly where it will be exposed to the highest heat in the system and create the largest problem. DUH! What about race cars, you say? Well, they only get driven about 500 miles before they get new fluid and generally are chucked at the end of the season, so moisture in the fluid isn't an issue.
Old 07-01-2006, 06:50 PM
Subaru Gold Contributor

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX
And of course the Calipers.

Frozen calliper slides will produce inadequate braking, with a longer pedal travel. If the slides are stuck or frozen, the whole calliper frame will flex, to bring the outside pad to the disk, instead of the frame sliding across to the disk.

Harvey.

95 Lsi. Bordeaux Pearl, Aust. RHD.149,000Kls Subaru BBS wheels.
97 Liberty GX Auto sedan. 320,000Kls.
04 Liberty 30R Auto Premium. 92.000kls.
Old 07-01-2006, 08:00 PM
Not as old as Randy

Significant Technical Input
Yeah, what he said! ^^^

Or, both caliper slides freeze and the outer pad does no work at all.
Old 07-01-2006, 08:09 PM
Subaru Gold Contributor

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beav
Yeah, what he said! ^^^

Or, both caliper slides freeze and the outer pad does no work at all.
Yes there are a lot of good points, to opposed piston callipers.

Harvey.

95 Lsi. Bordeaux Pearl, Aust. RHD.149,000Kls Subaru BBS wheels.
97 Liberty GX Auto sedan. 320,000Kls.
04 Liberty 30R Auto Premium. 92.000kls.
Old 07-11-2006, 07:31 PM
Subaru Swapper

Send a message via AIM to AFBeefcake
I have soft brakes too. I have ss brake lines, KVR rotors and pads. Tonight I flushed the whole brake system. I ran about 2 quarts of fluid thought the system. Pedal is still soft. With the car off the pedal is nice and firm, but once I start the car the pedal becomes real soft until its almost at the floor.

Any one have any ideas I on what might be my problem?
Old 07-12-2006, 10:32 AM
Meow!

Send a message via ICQ to Earthworm Send a message via AIM to Earthworm Send a message via MSN to Earthworm Send a message via Yahoo to Earthworm Send a message via Skype™ to Earthworm
Quote:
Originally Posted by AFBeefcake
Any one have any ideas on what might be my problem?
I have the same carbon fibre pads. Try a few really hard stops and the brakes will work like they should. They only like to work well when hot.

They don't seem like an everyday brake pad.