Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 06-25-2006, 10:56 PM
One teal and One yellow

Quote:
Originally Posted by n00b on demand
... When you start it up in the morning it sounds like svxfile's claret with the super charger ...ok maybe not that loud
haha then you have the smaller super charger...., but mine are quiet because I don't have the super chargers.

92 LS-L TEAL since Aug '01
92 LS-L YELLOW since Mar '05
Old 06-26-2006, 05:31 AM
Making tires round, Six now :)

The belt for the Power Steering pump has more load when the fluid is cold. So if the belt has expanded over the years and has lost TENSION, then it will slip when the fluid is cold and not SLIP whne the fluid warms up.

Since it is summer now, the belt has most likely lost tension due to heat during the day and now when the PS is cold it force the belt to slip. Replacing the belts as everyone said above is the good way to go since it has already started to slip. After it starts slipping it gets polished and looses grip, the belt get slick. The belt as with all rubber products gets harder with age and less flexible making it prone to slipping and cracking.

My crank pulley was well behaved and moved away from the engine when it started to come apart. It never made a sound but I am glad to know it CAN. I think that overtightening the belts wears out the crank pullet faster.

The belt that slips most often is the AC on my car, mostly after replacement.

I have tried after market belts and I think they require higher tension to keep from slipping. I stay with the Subaru belts.
Old 06-26-2006, 06:53 AM
OMGWTFBBQ!!1!11!LMAOROFLC OPTER

Seemed like the noise was closer to the PS area when I popped the hood and tried to listen. Is there a how to on how to replace belts? I get can get a belt from any auto parts store I assume. I dont think it should cost me anymore than 10 bucks or so. When I looked at the pulley nothing was wobbling or looked abnormal...everything looked to be ok in my opinion. So i guess belts it is.

2006 Subaru Impreza 2.5i....5spd - My daily driver

2006 Subaru Legacy 2.5i -7k miles..Mom's daily driver

2,543 Member of the SVX World Network
Old 06-26-2006, 10:37 AM

Loosen the central nut on the PS idler pulley, but make sure that you don't take it all the way off, just loosen it. Then loosen the tensioning bolt until the belt is loose enough to slip off the pulleys. Put the new belt on in the reverse procedure.