SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 06-14-2006, 06:39 PM
sans SVX

Send a message via AIM to mbtoloczko
Quote:
Originally Posted by shotgunslade
My first mods were the Ecutune Stage 1 chip and the exhaust system. I remember that the chip made an enormous difference. When I took it to the track, and put it in 2, it stays in 2 until you hit 6400 rpm, no matter the position of the throttle pedal, it also seemed very willing to pull all the way to tranny redline. Felt no inclination to try to shift up before it did so automatically. I would also pull out onto Route 1 in Princeton, and floor it, it would go up through first, second, and then hit 3rd, about 80+ mph before the next stop light, shifting at about 6400 rpm. Seemed to me, it pulled all the way. Now with the cams, the Stage 2 chip and MAF, and the 5 speeed, it pulls solidly all the way up to 7000.
When I had the 4eat in my car, it felt like it pulled hard all the way to redline. I think it was because of the flatter HP curve with the 4eat. With the 5MT, there was a strong HP peak at 5500 rpm.

When did you install the intake cams in your car in relation to your other mods (Stage II MAF, 5MT)?

Visit my locker

SVX Mods: ND iridium spark plugs, Impreza RS fpr, afr tuned to 13.2:1 using a custom MAF bypass, custom exhaust, WRX 5MT w/ STi RA 1st-4th gear & stock WRX 5th gear, Exedy 13 lb flywheel & Sport Clutch, STi Group N tranny & engine mounts, urethane spacers in rear subframe, rear diff mounts, and pitch stopper, SVX Sport Strut Springs (185f/150r), custom 19 mm rear swaybar, urethane swaybar mounts, Rota Torque 17x8", 225/45-17 Proxes 4 tires, Axxis Deluxe Plus organic brake pads.
Old 06-14-2006, 06:51 PM
Fighting with electricity

Send a message via AIM to SVX10 Send a message via Yahoo to SVX10
I'm confused as to why there would be a difference between the 4EAT and 5MT in HP curve. Does the AT's stator make that much difference in TQ?

Could it also be that the 5MT is going through the REV range more quickly, so any change in peformance is more abrupt. If the drop in power is strong from 5800-6200, for example, the 5MT will shoot through that more quickly, thus making it more noticeable?
92 SVX LS-L - Ebony Pearl - 2002 WRX 5MT trans w/STi gearset (rebuilt & installed myself ) - BMW E46 HID retrofit - Kenwood Headunit - Phoenix Gold 75x4 RMS amp - Alpine Type R 6.5" front components - Alpine Type R 6x9 3way rear speakers - 18"x9" Rota G-Force wheels w/225/40ZR18 Toyo T1R's - Mychailo's custom springs - Urethane front & rear sway bar bushings - KC exhaust (2.5" dual magnaflow) - Escaine seat swap - Removed Spoiler

I don't care if Subaru says it's STI...it will always be STi to me
Old 06-14-2006, 06:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shotgunslade
Now with the cams, the Stage 2 chip and MAF, and the 5 speeed, it pulls solidly all the way up to 7000.
What's your low end performance like with the new cams? Is driveability okay down near 2k RPM?
92 SVX LS-L - Ebony Pearl - 2002 WRX 5MT trans w/STi gearset (rebuilt & installed myself ) - BMW E46 HID retrofit - Kenwood Headunit - Phoenix Gold 75x4 RMS amp - Alpine Type R 6.5" front components - Alpine Type R 6x9 3way rear speakers - 18"x9" Rota G-Force wheels w/225/40ZR18 Toyo T1R's - Mychailo's custom springs - Urethane front & rear sway bar bushings - KC exhaust (2.5" dual magnaflow) - Escaine seat swap - Removed Spoiler

Old 06-14-2006, 07:17 PM
sans SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVX10
I'm confused as to why there would be a difference between the 4EAT and 5MT in HP curve. Does the AT's stator make that much difference in TQ?

Could it also be that the 5MT is going through the REV range more quickly, so any change in peformance is more abrupt. If the drop in power is strong from 5800-6200, for example, the 5MT will shoot through that more quickly, thus making it more noticeable?
Don't know why, but its what I saw with my HP/TQ measurements, and how it felt when I drove it.

Visit my locker

SVX Mods: ND iridium spark plugs, Impreza RS fpr, afr tuned to 13.2:1 using a custom MAF bypass, custom exhaust, WRX 5MT w/ STi RA 1st-4th gear & stock WRX 5th gear, Exedy 13 lb flywheel & Sport Clutch, STi Group N tranny & engine mounts, urethane spacers in rear subframe, rear diff mounts, and pitch stopper, SVX Sport Strut Springs (185f/150r), custom 19 mm rear swaybar, urethane swaybar mounts, Rota Torque 17x8", 225/45-17 Proxes 4 tires, Axxis Deluxe Plus organic brake pads.
Old 06-14-2006, 08:42 PM
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Registered SVX Classic SVX
I am bothered by 5MT stall. Have to keep my fpr adjusted just right. As the weather gets hotter, I have to reduce the pressure set-point, which I think reduces my top end power just a little bit. Right now, I've got it at 35 psi. I'll turn it up to maybe 38-40 when I go to the track this weekend. When the engine is cold, and I'm pulling away from a dead stop, it tends to surge a little bit at partial throttle. It really likes to rev, though. It just doesn't like to sit at 2000 rpm in first or second gear. Wouldn't change back, though.

94 LS-i Emerald Pearl, 106,xxx,; 246 whp; Tomyx snorkus and HKS Cold air intake; PWR aluminum radiator, silicone hoses; Inline thermostat; enhanced coolant routing; external power steering and oil coolers; Phenolic intake manifold spacers; 2004 WRX 5 speed transmission; ACT Clutch Kit, Heavy Duty Pressure Plate, Lightweight flywheel, performance disc; Group N motor mounts; ‘07 WRX 4-pot front calipers, cryo-treated slotted Tribeca rotors; Hawk HPS ferro-carbon pads; Frozenrotor rear slotted rotors; SS brake lines, Axxis Ultimate pads; Rota Torque 17x8 wheels; 245/40-17 Bridgestone RE01-R's; Koni inserts with Ground Control coilovers, Eibach springs; K-Mac camber/caster adjustable strut mounts; Urethane swaybar bushings; Bontrager rear sway bar; Urethane differential bushing; Custom Whiteline adjustable rear lateral links; Outlaw Engineering forged underdrive pulley; custom grind Web intake and exhaust cams (11 mm lift, 250° duration); solid lifters; CP custom aluminum forged 11 to 1 pistons, Brian Crower coated SS intake & exhaust valves; Brian Crower upgraded springs w/ titanium retainers; NGK sparkplugs; RallyBob (Bob Legere) ported and polished cylinder heads; Eagle H-beam rods; ACL Bearings; Cometic Head gaskets; ARP head studs & fasteners; Hydra Nemesis EMS; Wideband O2 sensor; 740cc Injectors; Walbro 255lph fuel pump; Upgraded WRX starter; Equal length SS headers (3 into 1); dual Magnaflow cat converters; 2 into 1 into 2 SS exhaust with Bullet muffler; OT Fiberglass hood; Oil pressure gauge; Programmable shift light,

2017 Subaru Forester XT, metallic dark gray, 29,xxx

2005 Porsche 911 Turbo S Cabrio, 24,xxx

2006 Subaru Outback LL Bean, 166,xxx sold

92 LSL Dark Teal, Smallcar Shift Kit - sold
Old 06-14-2006, 08:48 PM
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbtoloczko
When I had the 4eat in my car, it felt like it pulled hard all the way to redline. I think it was because of the flatter HP curve with the 4eat. With the 5MT, there was a strong HP peak at 5500 rpm.

When did you install the intake cams in your car in relation to your other mods (Stage II MAF, 5MT)?
I installed Stage 1 first, then got Stage 2, while I still had the 4EAT. I definitely felt a lot of difference when I first put the Stage 1 in, but didn't notice that much difference, if any, between Stage 1 and Stage 2. I got the cams and the 5MT at the same time, about 4 months after I got the Stage 2. As you know, you can't really compare the 4EAT car with the 5MT car. They're just too different.

94 LS-i Emerald Pearl, 106,xxx,; 246 whp; Tomyx snorkus and HKS Cold air intake; PWR aluminum radiator, silicone hoses; Inline thermostat; enhanced coolant routing; external power steering and oil coolers; Phenolic intake manifold spacers; 2004 WRX 5 speed transmission; ACT Clutch Kit, Heavy Duty Pressure Plate, Lightweight flywheel, performance disc; Group N motor mounts; ‘07 WRX 4-pot front calipers, cryo-treated slotted Tribeca rotors; Hawk HPS ferro-carbon pads; Frozenrotor rear slotted rotors; SS brake lines, Axxis Ultimate pads; Rota Torque 17x8 wheels; 245/40-17 Bridgestone RE01-R's; Koni inserts with Ground Control coilovers, Eibach springs; K-Mac camber/caster adjustable strut mounts; Urethane swaybar bushings; Bontrager rear sway bar; Urethane differential bushing; Custom Whiteline adjustable rear lateral links; Outlaw Engineering forged underdrive pulley; custom grind Web intake and exhaust cams (11 mm lift, 250° duration); solid lifters; CP custom aluminum forged 11 to 1 pistons, Brian Crower coated SS intake & exhaust valves; Brian Crower upgraded springs w/ titanium retainers; NGK sparkplugs; RallyBob (Bob Legere) ported and polished cylinder heads; Eagle H-beam rods; ACL Bearings; Cometic Head gaskets; ARP head studs & fasteners; Hydra Nemesis EMS; Wideband O2 sensor; 740cc Injectors; Walbro 255lph fuel pump; Upgraded WRX starter; Equal length SS headers (3 into 1); dual Magnaflow cat converters; 2 into 1 into 2 SS exhaust with Bullet muffler; OT Fiberglass hood; Oil pressure gauge; Programmable shift light,

Old 06-14-2006, 10:58 PM

I haven't had a single stall in the month I've been driving it *knock on wood*. I'm picking up a parts car this weekend, so I'm going to get that exhaust all set to put into my car and see if I notice any change.

What do y'all think...should I install with pre-cats, or get those cut out first, then install?

Slade,
When you say it doesn't like to sit at 2000 RPM, do you mean that the power sux down there, or it's sputtering, or you'd rather just lay into it more?

Old 06-15-2006, 05:15 AM
Alcyone Gold Contributor

When the engine is cold, say I'm pulling out of my driveway, which is pretty long, and has some bumps, and I'm in first gear at about quarter or half throtttle, trying to do maybe 10-12 mph. It'll start to surge, and the surge will build up very quickly. I'll have to slip the clutch a little bit, so the surging doesn't get completely out of hand. Going over a bump can get it started. If I pull away from a dead stop and accelerate crisply through the gears, it doesn't happen. It may also be related to running too rich. Just turned by fpr down, I'll see to what extent it is still happening. If the idle mixture is too rich, the idle under no load will surge also. There is good power available down there. I nail the accelerator and it goes like stink, although, if the engine is cold there might be a slight hesitation. On the other hand, this is not a recommended practice.

I'm going to get the Trevor/Mychailo stall remedy implemented as soon as I can.

Old 06-15-2006, 10:58 AM

So it sounds like you're very pleased with the cams. Is that correct?

How's the engine smoothness up to redline. That's another thing I love about the EG33 that I'd hate to ruin with cams..its smoothness. If that's okay, though, then I may have to make a little purchase

Old 06-15-2006, 11:14 AM
Meow!

Send a message via ICQ to Earthworm Send a message via AIM to Earthworm Send a message via MSN to Earthworm Send a message via Yahoo to Earthworm Send a message via Skype™ to Earthworm
It's not the engine that's surging...it has to do with the drivetrain. Mine does this too except I call it lurching

I wonder if it has anything to do with the carrier bearing on the driveshaft?
Old 06-15-2006, 12:10 PM
sans SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earthworm
It's not the engine that's surging...it has to do with the drivetrain. Mine does this too except I call it lurching
I was thinking the same thing, but wasn't going to say something because I've never seen his car in action.

I've seen the driveshaft deflect at least 1/4" up and down under load (I've watched it when I had the gear shift cover removed while driving down the road), so I'm sure it does contribute to some of the drivetrain free play.

Visit my locker

Old 06-15-2006, 05:36 PM

Yea, mine does the drivetrain lurch also.

But, I also get the surging when cold under light-medium accel. Right around 2500RPM it starts to lunge a bit. It goes away really quickly though.

Mychailo,
Do you have any back to back comparison experience with pre cats vs. no pre cats? When i had mine cut out the guy did such a poor straight pipe install that my evaluation wouldn't have been any good. Plus, I sucked at evaluating stuff like that back then

Old 06-15-2006, 05:54 PM
Subaru Gold Contributor

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX
Interesting read,

A lot of good feed back. As I am not in a position to do the mods that we work out, I depend on the results of those that do.

The difference in the power peak, that you feel, between the Auto and the manual , is due to the torque converter. When the engine reaches its power peak, the rpm will start rise at a faster rate. In the manual you feel it because of the direct coupling in the drive train. In the auto, as soon as the engine rpm starts to increase, the impeller accelerates, but the turbine does not accelerate at the same rate. So the converter starts to work to multiply the torque, till the speed of both half's of the converter are at he same speed. The resultant torque multiplication, smooths the increase in the peak to a smoother climb.

Moving the torque peak up the rev range is not as easy as, just retarding the lobe center, or fitting longer duration cams. The torque peak is made up of the combined actions of all the bits. The cam timing, duration, exhaust and inlet tract are all aimed at the same rpm. We can stretch the curve by altering any one of the contributing bits, as we did with the 8 mm lift cam, but to get the best power out of a higher torque peak, all the bits have to move to the new higher rpm.

Of all the bits, the inlet tract length is the prime factor in causing the torque to occur at a particular rpm.

Harvey.

95 Lsi. Bordeaux Pearl, Aust. RHD.149,000Kls Subaru BBS wheels.
97 Liberty GX Auto sedan. 320,000Kls.
04 Liberty 30R Auto Premium. 92.000kls.
Old 06-15-2006, 06:42 PM
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Tried to pay some attention to it as I was leaving the house this morning. It usually happens at minimal throttle, not quarter or half as I said, because that's all that is necessary to maintain 5-10 mph, and it seemed much less present this morning. Since idle surge is much worse when I'm running too rich, might be that it starts with the engine surging and then gets out of control with the driveline lurching. Dropped my fpr setpoint last night, to deal with the warmer weather, so idle is no longer surging.

Old 06-15-2006, 07:27 PM
sans SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVX10
Mychailo,
Do you have any back to back comparison experience with pre cats vs. no pre cats? When i had mine cut out the guy did such a poor straight pipe install that my evaluation wouldn't have been any good. Plus, I sucked at evaluating stuff like that back then
The pre-cats were chopped out at the same time the 5MT was installed, so I don't have a direct comparison there. :-(

Visit my locker