How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble

Old 04-29-2001, 10:47 AM

Send a message via ICQ to Mr. Pockets
Registered SVX
Today it is in the mid 60s, sunny and there is a light breeze. Not a cloud in the sky. Just gorgeous.

And I have to be in the office.

I was on my way in when I decided to turn left instead of right on Jackson Road. Right takes me to the office, left to Ann Arbor Subaru. I figured, if they were open, I might be able to get my hands around the wheel of a WRX.

They weren't open. I turned around. I didn't want to. It was a beautiful day and for the past four months I have driven on straight, flat roads in the city and outlying suburbs.

'If I don't do this, I'm going to *think* about doing it all day long.'

So I turned around again, heading West away from Ann Arbor (and the office).

And I drove until I found roads with curves.

I had to drive for quite some time.

A side road off of 'Old US-12' called 'Dancer Road' begged to be checked out. It was gravel. No thanks.

I pulled into a town called Grass Lake. After taking a peek around, I stopped and bought the cheapest 93-octane I've seen in a few weeks - $1.83.9. I asked the lady behind the counter, 'is there a lake in Grass Lake?'

With a smile, she pointed me in the right direction. I drove the mile or so, parked the car, and ate my lunch in a park on Grass Lake.

A few minutes after sitting on the bench, a marina let loose some kind of growling, closed-cockpit racing boat on the lake. I grabbed my camera and took a couple shots of it just for grins.

After my lunch, I decided I ought to head back. Taking the freeway, I was in the office in less than 30 minutes.

Living in a pretty big town, driving on such horrible roads and never seeing any features to the terrain, I was convinced that leaving VT meant that I left any kind of interesting sunny-day driving behind me. Michigan proved me wrong today. I found rural towns, farms and people that reminded me of Wisconsin, where I grew up.

There is fun driving to be had out there. I found some today.

Thanks for reading. Now I have some catching up to do.

END OF LINE

2005 RX-8 Grand Touring
2005 Outback
2002 Mercedes-Benz E320 wagon

END OF LINE
Old 04-29-2001, 10:57 AM
Rat Fink Member ~:o)

Send a message via ICQ to Aredubjay Send a message via AIM to Aredubjay Send a message via Yahoo to Aredubjay
Registered SVX
Nick,

An excellent story. I could see the trees, the lake, the lady behind the counter. Thanks for sharing the experience. However, if you should ever find yourself in Grand Island, Nebraska -- don't ask to see the island.
First to arrive at the very first Reading Meet
Subaru Ambassador

1992 SVX PPG Pace Car Replica 110+k
1993 White Impreza L 240+K miles
2001 Legacy Outback Limited Sedan 250+K miles
2013 Deep Indigo Pearl Legacy 3.6R 49+K miles

"Reading is my favorite Holiday"
Mike Davis -- at Reading VI
Old 04-29-2001, 11:08 AM

Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally posted by Aredubjay
I could see the trees, the lake, the lady behind the counter. Thanks for sharing the experience.
Thanks for reading it, Randy. Natives of Michigan recount legends of scenic drives North of here. I was thinking of maybe organizing some sort of weekend trip for later this summer. SVX owners would be welcome to join me, but I would warn that this year's drive won't come with the first-hand knwledge of the route that my VT drive did. This one would, however, be considerably longer, taking a full two days or so. I just think it'd be fun to drive around the state for a weekend with some SVX-owner-friends. We could get some FRS radios and yell 'STOP!' whenever a wife sees an antique shop she wants to check out.

I think this would have to be smaller and less formal than my last meet. But then, if I lengthen the commitment to two full days, fewer people would probably show up anyway.

2005 RX-8 Grand Touring
2005 Outback

END OF LINE
Old 04-29-2001, 11:20 AM
Rat Fink Member ~:o)

Send a message via ICQ to Aredubjay Send a message via AIM to Aredubjay Send a message via Yahoo to Aredubjay
Registered SVX
I actually have some acquaintences who vacation in Michigan each year. My question, of course, was "why?" They described some beautiful country, so, it must be there . . . somewhere.

As a child, I developed a theory. When on vacation, my sister and I would often count license plates. Inveriably, the winner was Michigan. Furthermore, the plates, for the most part, were on large RV's. From this, I deduced that noone actually "lived" in Michigan. The residents all simply bought Winnebegos and drove around on the interstates.
First to arrive at the very first Reading Meet
Subaru Ambassador

1992 SVX PPG Pace Car Replica 110+k
1993 White Impreza L 240+K miles
2001 Legacy Outback Limited Sedan 250+K miles
2013 Deep Indigo Pearl Legacy 3.6R 49+K miles

"Reading is my favorite Holiday"
Mike Davis -- at Reading VI
Old 04-30-2001, 10:52 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to jscorse
Nice Reading

Nick,
I didn't know you where a writer too. Nice piece. I think we need more 'driving' pieces like that one. I know it's not all technical like some would have it, but there's a place for that too.

Every morning I drive into the rising New England sun. Most are all pink and beautiful.

Flat land: I'm from Rochester NY. Not much for hills there either. Whenever I go home to visit, I enjoy the open relatively treeless view of the flat"er" lands, but I really don't want to live there anymore. NE has nice hills and wonderful views around them.

And SO much MORE SUN!!
Old 04-30-2001, 12:30 PM

Registered SVX
Re: Nice Reading

Quote:
Originally posted by jscorse
Nick,
I didn't know you where a writer too. Nice piece. I think we need more 'driving' pieces like that one. I know it's not all technical like some would have it, but there's a place for that too.

Every morning I drive into the rising New England sun. Most are all pink and beautiful.

Flat land: I'm from Rochester NY. Not much for hills there either. Whenever I go home to visit, I enjoy the open relatively treeless view of the flat"er" lands, but I really don't want to live there anymore. NE has nice hills and wonderful views around them.

And SO much MORE SUN!!
Thanks for reading.

Until December, I also drove every day to and from work with mountains and gorgeous skies as the backdrop. I can appreciate the rural farm scenery Michigan has to offer because it's the sort of scenery I grew up with, but I miss Vermont (and the rest of New England) terribly.

2005 RX-8 Grand Touring
2005 Outback

END OF LINE