Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble

Old 04-17-2006, 03:21 PM
Own'eded

Send a message via AIM to curly2k3 Send a message via MSN to curly2k3
Turbo Question

I need some input on turbos here... I can get a JDM TD04 WRX turbo(908, ported and polished), TMIC, and piping for 300... the turbo is like brand new and has the 5 psi waste gate from a EA82... so my question is as follows:
Whats the air band like on this turbo, any noticable lag, peak power off it, how does it run at lower psi's? Anyone with a Rex should know, this is the turbo you have, this one is just tweeked to be that much better. Thanks.

Chris
Old 04-17-2006, 03:27 PM
Maniac modifier

Registered SVX Classic SVX
what exactly do you plan on doing with a top mount IC?? There is no room in an SVX for one without a serious scoop. Also I think the WRX turbos are still going to be too small. Don't forget this isn't a 2.0. It is more than 50% larger motor with higher compression ratio. It will spool the turbo too fast and run out of the efficiency range in no time flat

Tom
Old 04-17-2006, 03:35 PM
Own'eded

Send a message via AIM to curly2k3 Send a message via MSN to curly2k3
TMIC=Junk, or trade for a FMIC, just part of the package deal... you think it will spool up too quick huh? I have been talking with other turbo pros and they said it takes longer and more to spool up than a T3/T4 hybrid and they seemed to think it would suite the bill perfect, they said with the power I want to make and where in the power band it should actually be a pretty good match. He said as follows:"the TD04 is a great turbo, and even better when it has been modified like the one you talked about. Personally I would install this turbo and then once you feel comfortable with the process and the car itself with boost, run a GT40 and you will be happy with the huge power it will put down, if your looking for that kind of thing." and I lied to him, I said I had the deal on the turbo used from a JDM car(which it is) for 575 for the turbo and IC... and he said that was a steal, so I think it should do alright... Im not looking for insane power, I am looking to perk it up and to keep some of my reliability, so I dunno, this seemed like a better route than every other turbo shop had recomended.

Chris
Old 04-17-2006, 06:20 PM
Missing in action

Send a message via AIM to It's Just Eric
Registered SVX
Hey, 300 bucks for a turbo aint bad no matter how you slice it. If worse comes to worse, you can always sell it
You're gone but not forgotten. I mean, sure, I kindof don't remember some of the finer details..but I remember you were funny, and at one point you said spaghetti in Dutch....but definantly not forgotten

Old 04-17-2006, 07:41 PM
BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOST

Send a message via AIM to Phast SVX
my 2 cents, for what its worth:

The TDO4L is many times smaller than a T3/T04E(or B or any other trim your referring too) Its closer in size to a full T3 garret. Either way you look at it. Lets look at TD04L-13g, as many people run on the WRX's

You can see how much this is not an option. Ive shown from 3700 to roughly 6000rpm, this is a rough plot at 6.5psi.

IMO the gt35R is by far the best choice, rediculously efficent from 3-nearly 20 psi on our motor! Duel ball bearing FTW!

end 2cents.

phil
Old 04-17-2006, 09:51 PM
Poor College Racer

Send a message via AIM to drivemusicnow
I'm not sure who is suggesting the mod path for you... but yeah, a td04 is a tiny compressor housing. It is the stock compressor for 1g dsms.

And the step from a 300hp turbo (td04) to a 600hp+ turbo (GT40) its not quite what I would call a logical progression.

For 300$ i would buy it, but i wouldn't count on using it on the SVX.

97 Red SVX LSi clean
96 Black SVX LSi beater
90 Red Eclipse GSX track ho
99 Ford F250 work horse
My Locker