Old Lockers
Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble

Old 03-13-2006, 02:37 PM

Power Steering Fluid Question: Mixing ATF + PS FLUID?

Ok xcuse me for being a complete noob/idiot.

What color is P/S Fluid? And ATF Fluid? The fluid in the resevoir is clear at the time. If I were to extract it all out with a baster, what should I fill it with (which fluid is the best? Lucas? Any recommendations on the best thing to fill your p/s resevoir with?) Should I be concerned with the mixing of the 'clear' and the 'new' fluid I will be putting in? Any hazards? Or should I just flush the entire system of its fluids and fill it up with my 'new' fluid? I know mixing motor oil won't be too harmful but wasn't too sure how mixing fluids will affect steering and such... Especially if there's p/s fluid and you're adding ATF. Anything will help. Thanks!
Old 03-13-2006, 02:50 PM
Meow!

Send a message via ICQ to Earthworm Send a message via AIM to Earthworm Send a message via MSN to Earthworm Send a message via Yahoo to Earthworm Send a message via Skype™ to Earthworm
PS Fluid and ATF are very similar. Some will argue that the only difference is colour. I've used PS Fluid in my SVX without a problem. In fact I've probably got 3 different types of oil in my PS system.
Old 03-13-2006, 02:52 PM

They're essentially the same thing, only you pay more for "power steering" fluid. I'd just start using Dexron ATF and forget flushing unless you have reason to believe that what's in there now has turned to sludge. A periodic pump reservoir drain-and-fill should do just fine. I've done mine twice in 30,000 miles.

dcb
Old 03-13-2006, 04:19 PM
Locker Link Solution

DC has a good flush plan. I'm one of the people who believe PSF will shorten the life of your rack. If you think it is due to be changed, go a head and do the flush. But please use ATF as the new fluid . PS probably won't hurt the rack if used for a short period of time or changed frequently, but I think it breaks down easier than ATF and clogs up in the rack, bubbles and leads to an unhealthy rack when they hit the presurized side on a regular basis.
In progess: track down mystery noise <-identified, paint the new dash, get better pic
Spring plans: Replace Trans - Integrate ECU with the carputer - Suspension - Go back to STI Filter - Paint? Maybe not - Next Oil change: Purolator L30165

Member #995 | My Locker | My New Locker

Catch you next at: ? Auto-X ?

Last edited by Speedklix; 03-13-2006 at 04:21 PM.
Old 03-13-2006, 05:12 PM
Jersey Girl
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Send a message via Skype™ to svxistentialist
Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedklix
DC has a good flush plan. I'm one of the people who believe PSF will shorten the life of your rack. If you think it is due to be changed, go a head and do the flush. But please use ATF as the new fluid . PS probably won't hurt the rack if used for a short period of time or changed frequently, but I think it breaks down easier than ATF and clogs up in the rack, bubbles and leads to an unhealthy rack when they hit the presurized side on a regular basis.
I'm inclined to agree here.

ATF is the higher specification of the two. Subaru are pretty specific in their warning not to use Power Steering fluid, to only use ATF, Dexron II.

I think the ATF has better heat capability, does not break down so easily. I also think that with ordinary PSF, you will get more of this cavitation business.

Having said all that, I reckon dcarrb is right, use a baster to replace what the reservoir holds, and don't worry yourself too much about it.

Joe
White X2 RVR Mitsubishi 1800GDI. Vantastic

40,000 miles Jersey Girl
Old 03-13-2006, 09:09 PM
<<<Alcyone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedklix
DC has a good flush plan. I'm one of the people who believe PSF will shorten the life of your rack. If you think it is due to be changed, go a head and do the flush. But please use ATF as the new fluid . PS probably won't hurt the rack if used for a short period of time or changed frequently, but I think it breaks down easier than ATF and clogs up in the rack, bubbles and leads to an unhealthy rack when they hit the pressurized side on a regular basis.
I much prefer a Healthy Rack but some of the Pressurized ones look too unnatural . . . Never mind, that's another thread.

Dan
Old 03-13-2006, 09:26 PM
Locker Link Solution

Quote:
Originally Posted by intelisevil
I much prefer a Healthy Rack but some of the Pressurized ones look too unnatural . . . Never mind, that's another thread.

Dan
Think i've seen that thread, some nice examples there
In progess: track down mystery noise <-identified, paint the new dash, get better pic
Spring plans: Replace Trans - Integrate ECU with the carputer - Suspension - Go back to STI Filter - Paint? Maybe not - Next Oil change: Purolator L30165

Member #995 | My Locker | My New Locker

Catch you next at: ? Auto-X ?
Old 03-14-2006, 04:10 PM

Thank You So Much Everyone!
Old 03-14-2006, 06:10 PM
Jersey Girl
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Send a message via Skype™ to svxistentialist
Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by stallion
Thank You So Much Everyone!
You are very welcome.

From a non san-itised jose.

Yay!!

Check out the other power steering thread they mention. It'll keep you pointing in the right direction....

White X2 RVR Mitsubishi 1800GDI. Vantastic

40,000 miles Jersey Girl