SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble

Old 12-20-2005, 02:55 PM
Missing in action

Send a message via AIM to It's Just Eric
Registered SVX
Question FWD -vs- AWD

I found myself wondering which driveline setup was better...front wheel drive or all wheel drive. Im curious about information on proformance diffrences between the two.Now before you automaticly blurt out all wheel drive, take a moment or two to consider weight diffrences, power transfer (wheel horse power) driveline dependability, traction loss, and other such things. Actually Im curious if anyone has some skidpad numbers and 0-60 numbers to throw in to help out.

I personally can vouche for traction loss with the front wheel drive as opposed to all wheel drive. If I decide to punch it it takes a few seconds to hook up. I havent really driven it hard enough around corners to say weather it can pull as many G's around a corner, but Im guessing it cant. I really cant vouche for 0-60 times either, I havent lined up next to an awd svx to see if I pull away (or fall back for that matter)

Any information or personal experiances are apreciated.
You're gone but not forgotten. I mean, sure, I kindof don't remember some of the finer details..but I remember you were funny, and at one point you said spaghetti in Dutch....but definantly not forgotten

Old 12-20-2005, 03:17 PM
Meow!

Send a message via ICQ to Earthworm Send a message via AIM to Earthworm Send a message via MSN to Earthworm Send a message via Yahoo to Earthworm Send a message via Skype™ to Earthworm
It really depends on what you're using it for. I will always choose AWD as there's enough snow here to make it worthwhile. In reality a RWD manual SVX would be the fastest and possibly more fun to drive. The FWD would be lightest and possibly handle best due to that fact.
Old 12-20-2005, 03:19 PM
Row faster...I hear banjos!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earthworm
The FWD would be lightest and possibly handle best due to that fact.
The FWD would only handle better if it had a limited slip diff. Unfortunately, all front diff's in the SVX are open.

-Chike

2013 Cosmic Blue 5spd Evo X GSR
2006 Galaxy Gray 6MT RX-8 (sold)
2006 Steel Gray WRX TR (sold)
1996 Brilliant Red SVX L (sold)
Old 12-20-2005, 03:26 PM
I abuse them one at a time

Location: Northbrook, Illinois, USA, Earth, Solar System... you get the picture
Send a message via AIM to Seraph Send a message via Skype™ to Seraph
Having driven and (owned) both 94 FWD AND AWD models, I can say this:

FWD looks like a SVX, drives like any other FWD car. It's still heavy. But quicker than a V6 Camaro.

AWD SVX drives like a SVX, looks like a SVX. It's more forceful when taking off the line.

Now, 92 SVX is the quickest to launch from the line and the most powerful of them all. Why? I don't know. See that coin tray? I can drop coins from the 92. I can't from any 94s.

But I feel safe in all of them. I've nearly flipped my 94L once. I saw the grass on the side a few inches away from my face but a solid car came out without a scratch (mud helps in the ditch if you are rolling on the side).

I've made very high speed in my 94L in the rain (search for previous posts under Seraphim). I have never done those speeds again in the AWD models.
Previous SVXes: •1994 LE Barcelona Red 107k • 1992 LS-L Pearl White 143k • 1994 LSi Bordeaux Pearl 220k • 1992 LS-L Ebony Pearl 184k • 1992 LS-L Liquid Silver 145k • 1992 LS-L Liquid Silver 102k • 1992 LS-L Ebony Pearl 123k
Other current cars:2001 Jeep Grand Cherokee Black
If at first you don't succeed, CHEAT!
Old 12-20-2005, 07:25 PM
Takin tools to task

Send a message via MSN to NikFu S.
Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seraph
Now, 92 SVX is the quickest to launch from the line and the most powerful of them all. Why? I don't know. See that coin tray? I can drop coins from the 92. I can't from any 94s.
Interesting.

I have also driven both an AWD and FWD SVX.
However they are the same car.

Other than insane off-the-line traction loss I can't say the vehicle behaves any differently either way. Mine anyways. Can't speak for an actual FWD car.

I did however own both a FWD and a 4WD XT6. Again, only difference I could feel was the FWD could chirp tires.

'92 Dark Teal SVX LS-L, >146,000m
3 pedals, 5 speeds., restoration underway.
2012 Honda Insight, slow but cute.
Old 12-20-2005, 07:32 PM
Maniac modifier

Registered SVX Classic SVX
FWD is good for a daily driver. It can handle itself in the snow...not to same extent of the AWD but still not too shabby. It will have slightly better gas mileage, less transmission issues, and it is lighter to boot.

The AWD is more for the sport enthusiast who likes to play. Or needs the car in bad weather. Either way, they are both SVXes and you cannot go wrong there......right??...wait....I am right....right??

Tom
Old 12-20-2005, 07:55 PM
Have a poncho I can borrow?

Quote:
Originally Posted by NikFu S.
Interesting.

I have also driven both an AWD and FWD SVX.
However they are the same car.

Other than insane off-the-line traction loss I can't say the vehicle behaves any differently either way. Mine anyways. Can't speak for an actual FWD car.

I did however own both a FWD and a 4WD XT6. Again, only difference I could feel was the FWD could chirp tires.
I've driven a AWD, FWD and RWD SVX and by far the RWD was the most fun. Granted it was the same car as well but with 3 different trannies in it. Having also driven the FWDer on the track I would also have to say that it is probably the worst when it comes to spirited driving in tight stuff. Oversteers heavily and you can't compensate by sending power to the rear. It is a bit lighter but most of the weight loss is in the rear (where the SVX sorely could use some more weight at the expense of the front of course).
Old 12-20-2005, 09:23 PM
Missing in action

Send a message via AIM to It's Just Eric
Registered SVX
Hmmm..Intresting input here. Still curious of some G force numbers on skidpad tests between the two. Of course on a wet track the awd is going to proform much much better. As for withstanding the test of time, Ive seen a fwd svx with nearly 300k miles on it, from what ive seen on average, awd trannys are done between 140-160k miles.But of course Im sure the 300k transission ws well kept for and rarely beaten on, whereas..well, lets face it, you cant help but drive aggressivly with awd
You're gone but not forgotten. I mean, sure, I kindof don't remember some of the finer details..but I remember you were funny, and at one point you said spaghetti in Dutch....but definantly not forgotten

Old 12-20-2005, 09:32 PM
Row faster...I hear banjos!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by It's Just Eric
Ive seen a fwd svx with nearly 300k miles on it, from what ive seen on average, awd trannys are done between 140-160k miles.
Sleepem has a '92 300K+ awd SVX. Original trans and engine.

-Chike

2013 Cosmic Blue 5spd Evo X GSR
2006 Galaxy Gray 6MT RX-8 (sold)
2006 Steel Gray WRX TR (sold)
1996 Brilliant Red SVX L (sold)
Old 12-20-2005, 09:42 PM
OMGWTFBBQ!!1!11!LMAOROFLC OPTER

Hmm a RWD svx would be sweet. I will always prefer AWD. I have driven both a FWD and AWD svx and i prefer the AWD. The FWD isnt the best when driving spirited and taking corners ...its always a nice thing to have the rear wheels compensate for front wheel slippage.

2006 Subaru Impreza 2.5i....5spd - My daily driver

2006 Subaru Legacy 2.5i -7k miles..Mom's daily driver

2,543 Member of the SVX World Network
Old 12-20-2005, 09:59 PM
Maniac modifier

Registered SVX Classic SVX
I would love to have a rear biased auto. With how much more fun the 6 speed is because of the rear bias I realize that the auto would kick that much more butt.

Tom
Old 12-21-2005, 05:45 AM

I can't relate FWD/AWD experience in the SVX, but I do know that I kept my GL wagon's "On-Demand..." 5MT in 4WD anytime conditions compromised tire grip; even light rain. No comparison. Even with a measly 90 HP, it wasn't difficult to break traction with the front wheels with that car in FWD. RWD might be best for a straight-line "launch," but for everyday, real driving conditions, I'd say it's hard to argue against superior traction.

dcb
Old 12-21-2005, 06:37 AM

Send a message via AIM to mikecg Send a message via Yahoo to mikecg
I've done the AWD/FWD thing. The only difference I noticed is my FWD had better trottle response on the highway. But they probubly had nothing to do with the tranny. I've since sold the AWD and plan to do a AWD/Manual conversion on the FWD. I think it's all a matter of what your looking for in a car. Also, as far as drivetrain loss goes, I've dyno'd my car and the SVX FWD Tranny has an extremely high loss of power, even for an Auto. I think this is due to it's simlarity to the AWD tranny. I think if you dyno'd both you'd find about the same % of drivetrain loss.

Benebob..... Do you me it understeers? I've learned a quick fix for understeer. I used it in my Spec-V. I havnt tryed it in the SVX yet. Left foot breaking to load the front wheels increases front end traction. The Spec all you have to do is lift off the throttle for a split-second and it'll snap around on you. I discovered that the hard way my first time out. I came into a corner a little to quick and lifted off. Next thing I know I was doing a FWD drift throw the corner.

Before anyone screams about street racing let me say "I like the course they(SCCA) set up at Ripken Stadium."

Last edited by mikecg; 12-21-2005 at 06:40 AM.
Old 12-21-2005, 07:32 AM
Have a poncho I can borrow?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikecg
I've done the AWD/FWD thing. The only difference I noticed is my FWD had better trottle response on the highway. But they probubly had nothing to do with the tranny. I've since sold the AWD and plan to do a AWD/Manual conversion on the FWD. I think it's all a matter of what your looking for in a car. Also, as far as drivetrain loss goes, I've dyno'd my car and the SVX FWD Tranny has an extremely high loss of power, even for an Auto. I think this is due to it's simlarity to the AWD tranny. I think if you dyno'd both you'd find about the same % of drivetrain loss.

Benebob..... Do you me it understeers? I've learned a quick fix for understeer. I used it in my Spec-V. I havnt tryed it in the SVX yet. Left foot breaking to load the front wheels increases front end traction. The Spec all you have to do is lift off the throttle for a split-second and it'll snap around on you. I discovered that the hard way my first time out. I came into a corner a little to quick and lifted off. Next thing I know I was doing a FWD drift throw the corner.

Before anyone screams about street racing let me say "I like the course they(SCCA) set up at Ripken Stadium."

Yeah did I say oversteer, understeer is what I meant to say. Oversteering happens nicely though when she's rwd though . Even though you can comp for it as Mike says the FWD design will always have more than the awd in the same platform. Its just the nature of the beast.

We do expect to see ya more this year at Ripken Mike!
Old 12-21-2005, 10:48 AM

Send a message via AIM to mikecg Send a message via Yahoo to mikecg
Quote:
Originally Posted by benebob
Yeah did I say oversteer, understeer is what I meant to say. Oversteering happens nicely though when she's rwd though . Even though you can comp for it as Mike says the FWD design will always have more than the awd in the same platform. Its just the nature of the beast.

We do expect to see ya more this year at Ripken Mike!

I made it to the afternoon setion of the last on. I had my Spec-V though. I probubly should not have run. I only had about 3K miles on the car at the time. Ripkin is a long hall for me from Cape May, but it's worth it. I just whish the Thunderbolt Raceway in Millville, NJ was done. It'll be huge and it will be the new location for the South Jersey SCCA Auto Crosses.

Check linky for info:
http://www.njmotorsportspark.com/