Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-20-2001, 12:04 AM

Send a message via ICQ to Jamsvx Send a message via Yahoo to Jamsvx
Cool

I have made some inquiries about keyrings and have found a place here in Sydney that will do minimum runs of 100.

I am going to email them some ideas on sizes and designs but before I do, I was wondering whether anyone with a particular long-held dream of a design would like to include their concepts.

I am going to insert a page on my website (slowly building as it is) with a rough idea of what I had in mind so if people want to check it out (I will put a post up when it is done...probably in the next day or so) and offers their comments/opinions, then I will contact the manufacturer.

Rough ballpark cost (and I mean ROUGH!!!!!) is about Au$10-12 per keyring but it will ultimately depend on material/design complexity and size.

Jamsvx

27 August 2002 to 27 January 2004 - she will be missed

Was back in Sydney for a while but not hot enough so now in Dubai! Has it been that long since I owned SVX-33H!
Old 04-20-2001, 01:12 AM
zsvx

http://home.att.net/~d_teague/Stiparts/Key1.jpg

Something like that might be cool (with SVX not STI of course).

Not a long-held dream, just a suggestion
Old 04-20-2001, 02:55 AM

I think MRT Performance here in Sydney sells those! They can also source the Jap emblem also if anyone is interested. I am going to get one but I thought that a group order may cut down on the price - is about $50 US dollars, much like the other earlier batch than Vinscimone (sp??) on Yahoo organised.

Actually, come to think of it, what about the Alcyone emblem in carbon fibre as a keyring???

I'll try and do a sketch.

Jamsvx

PS: anyone with Photoshop, please do one! My will be a la MS Paintbox!!! ;-)

Was back in Sydney for a while but not hot enough so now in Dubai! Has it been that long since I owned SVX-33H!
Old 04-20-2001, 09:34 AM
Dumba$$ Mechanic

Quote:
Originally posted by Jamsvx
Actually, come to think of it, what about the Alcyone emblem in carbon fibre as a keyring???

I kinda of thought that SVX lettered like the emblems and the top of this site in pewter would be kind of cool looking. Wouldn't want it too big though, weight issue.
Old 04-20-2001, 11:54 AM
Lowered SVX

Question

subaruparts.com carries a pretty nice SVX keychain on the website under accessories. why would you need anything beyond that??
1994 SVX, true dual Magnaflow exhaust, K&N filter, 17" Enkei RS6 wheels, Bridgestone Potenza RE730 225/45/17 rubber, zinc plated cross-drilled rotors with yellow painted brake calipers. B&M tranny cooler rated at 19,000 GVW. GC springs and Koni strut inserts installed and the car is lowered two inches all the way around!!
"Too much fun to drive!"
Old 04-20-2001, 10:24 PM

Not bad...but like all the others. :-(

What I had in mind was either a keyring in an elongated oval shape with that evil looking Japanese Alcyone symbol on the front and perhaps Alcyone on the back

or

the STI keyring gave me an idea: an elongated oval of carbon fibre with the Alcyone symbol laser-cut out.

I am doing the sketches and will upload them asap.

Jamsvx

as for my site, Paddlesnz gave me some more translations and I have also finished the section on Japanese versions - perhaps someone could let me know if I made any errors? Thanks

Old 04-23-2001, 03:29 AM

Talking Carbon Fibre Alcyone Key Ring - Draft Finished!!!

Whew!!

After mucking around last night for over 3 hours using that nonsense of MS Paint (its the only picture manipulation tool that I have!) combined with Word!!! of all things, I have a draft idea:

http://www.geocities.com/jamsvx/svxconcepts.html

Ideas/comments anyone?

I am also thinking of it in metal with chroming - but there is NO way that I have the patience to do that picture - does anyone have any software that can mimic a chromed surface????

We would need a minimum order of 100 - that is the lowest custom run that I can find here in Sydney.

Jamsvx

Old 04-23-2001, 09:24 AM
Rat Fink Member ~:o)

Send a message via ICQ to Aredubjay Send a message via AIM to Aredubjay Send a message via Yahoo to Aredubjay
Registered SVX
Great work, James. My concern, however, is this: If I ordered a keyfob, I would obviously want it to attach to the keyring that had my remote. As they seem to be a bit "fragile" I wouldn't want a hard surfaced keyfob for fear of scratching, or otherwise damaging my remote. I also, of course, would not want some tacky plastic thing to represent my classy SVX -- are there "soft" material options? Maybe leather? Just wondering.
First to arrive at the very first Reading Meet
Subaru Ambassador

1992 SVX PPG Pace Car Replica 110+k
1993 White Impreza L 240+K miles
2001 Legacy Outback Limited Sedan 250+K miles
2013 Deep Indigo Pearl Legacy 3.6R 49+K miles

"Reading is my favorite Holiday"
Mike Davis -- at Reading VI
Old 04-23-2001, 04:20 PM
Multiple Suby Owner

Question Carbon Fiber

Carbon Fiber is very strong, but don't you think that the thin strip in the middle would probably break out very easily?
Old 04-24-2001, 03:35 AM

Thanks for the feedback!

As for the issues:
1) As Aredubjay has raised, there may be a concern re the 'weight' or hardness of the keyring when coming into contact with the remote. IN that regard, if the keyring was done in carbon firbe, it would be very light and in addition, only say 3-4 mm thick....

2) Which raises the issue of strength per Nubsjr: given that the item itself would be quite small say 5cm max in length, there would be a fair bit of integral strength in the "middle bit" considering also the inherent strength of the material if it be done in Carbon fibre.

On the other hand, there is the possibility of having say 3-4mm thick brushed aluminium laser cut with the emblem (light, strong but hard) or the pewter idea - we had TONNES of pewter keyrings for sale here during the Olympics and they not only looked good but also have been incredibly hard wearing.

Finally, I would like to keep the price fairly low for the following:
1 - would allow multiple purchases - one to use, and maybe one to store
2 - if people ultimately don't like the finished item, not that much out of pocket.
3- allows alternative options re design etc.

Any other ideas/comments?

In fact, who actually would be seriously interested????? I would need to know so that I can start getting sketches made etc.

Jamsvx

Old 04-24-2001, 04:25 PM
zsvx

Thumbs up

Quote:
Any other ideas/comments?

In fact, who actually would be seriously interested????? I would need to know so that I can start getting sketches made etc.

Jamsvx
Count me in. I like the idea of the Alycone symbol in carbon fiber, that looks great.
Old 05-08-2001, 10:20 PM
Hitchhikin'

Whatever happened with this plan, anyways? If it's not too expensive, I would definitely be interested.
Old 05-09-2001, 01:17 AM

I am waiting on email etc expressions of interest. Thus far, less than 10 expressions of interest and there are less than 5 definites!!

email me with any comments/suggestions/ideas

Regards

Jamsvx

Old 05-09-2001, 02:40 PM
Jersey Girl
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Send a message via Skype™ to svxistentialist
Registered SVX
Key topic

Quote:
I am waiting on email etc expressions of interest. Thus far, less than 10 expressions of interest and there are less than 5 definites!!

email me with any comments/suggestions/ideas

Regards

Jamsvx
James, I would love a key ring or two, it depends on the finished item.

I would much prefer if it was not carbon fibre. To me, this clashes with the raison d'etre of the car fundamentally. The "All sigh as one" is a heavy luxury car with sporty underpinnings. Carbon fibre is for lightweight racers. But if the majority go for carbon, I will take it [under protest] anyway.

Also, I like a key fob to have a backing panel of leather to which the emblem is attached. This adds to weight and bulk for minimalists, but the leather stops the metal scratching the dash or surround, and saves the lining of your pocket.

What will it be like?? How much will it cost?? And I'll take two, taa very much.

Joe
Old 05-11-2001, 03:00 AM
Hitchhikin'

Keeping this thread up.... c'mon, people, we need some more commitments for orders! Personally, I prefer carbon fiber, just to go with my carbon fiber hood!