Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Not Exactly SVX
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-24-2005, 08:57 AM
Hater

got a Sony PSP

waited until 10:00 to go to Best Buy to get a PSP, and get there to find they've been open since 8AM to unload the PSP (i had been up since 4AM with teh insomnia )

get in the store, and there's a whole crapload of them still.

i got Need For Rice and Twisted Metal, and it comes with the Spiderman 2 movie. pretty cool, will be nice for riding the subway into work, and for vacation later this summer.

1987 928 S4 (Black) SOLD!
1997 SVX LSi (Ebony) SOLD!
2005 Legacy GT (Silver) [Cobb Stg 2+] SOLD!
2005 Forester XT Premium (Crystal Gray Metallic) SOLD!
2008 Lancer Evolution X MR (Apex Silver) [Cobb Stg 1+]
2015 Outlander Sport 2.4GT AWD (Mercury Gray)
2013 G37xS (Obsidian Black)
Old 03-24-2005, 09:14 AM
Weasel 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Landshark
waited until 10:00 to go to Best Buy to get a PSP, and get there to find they've been open since 8AM to unload the PSP (i had been up since 4AM with teh insomnia )

get in the store, and there's a whole crapload of them still.

i got Need For Rice and Twisted Metal, and it comes with the Spiderman 2 movie. pretty cool, will be nice for riding the subway into work, and for vacation later this summer.
I hear you on the 8am..nothing like stores and their special hours..
how much are they asking for the PSP?
hmm I get paid tomorrow
Old 03-24-2005, 09:31 AM
Hater

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weasel 22
I hear you on the 8am..nothing like stores and their special hours..
how much are they asking for the PSP?
hmm I get paid tomorrow
$249. dingy broad at the register tried to tell me the battery is BUILT-IN and that if it went bad, you'd have to replace the whole unit, so the $39 protection plan was a good idea. WRONG. the battery IS removeable and replaceable.

only a million for the first release, but there should be some left tomorrow. get it early.

Old 03-24-2005, 10:22 AM

Send a message via ICQ to Mr. Pockets
Registered SVX
A coworker imported a PSP awhile ago, and I played with it. It is, indeed, a sexy machine. It doesn't quite have the feel of being carved out of a single block, like the iPod, but it's close.

I'll get one eventually. First I think the MR2 needs a new head.

2005 RX-8 Grand Touring
2005 Outback
2002 Mercedes-Benz E320 wagon

END OF LINE
Old 03-24-2005, 10:40 AM
Hater

its very cool. watching a movie on it is pretty amazing - the screen is awesome.

in the process of converting the Saturday Night Live "Cowbell" skit with Christopher Walken to PSP format so i'll always have it with me.

Old 03-24-2005, 03:22 PM

Send a message via ICQ to Mr. Pockets
Registered SVX
Quote:
its very cool. watching a movie on it is pretty amazing - the screen is awesome.

in the process of converting the Saturday Night Live "Cowbell" skit with Christopher Walken to PSP format so i'll always have it with me.
As long as you're doing that, I'd also recommend converting the Fatboy Slim video 'Weapon of Choice,' which also featured Christopher Walken.

Best. Video. EvAr.

2005 RX-8 Grand Touring
2005 Outback
2002 Mercedes-Benz E320 wagon

END OF LINE
Old 03-24-2005, 03:31 PM
Weasel 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Pockets
As long as you're doing that, I'd also recommend converting the Fatboy Slim video 'Weapon of Choice,' which also featured Christopher Walken.

Best. Video. EvAr.
agreed...love that video
Old 03-24-2005, 04:46 PM
From POST-***** to LURKER

What sort of game media does the PSP use? (CD, DVD, Chip)... I've never even seen one ... Just don't play video games as much as I used to...

** SOLD **1998 Subaru Legacy 2.5GT Wagon - MOST RELIABLE car I've ever owned
** SOLD **2006Subaru WRXSTi (Former "Boxer4Racing.com / Continential Tire" STi) - Built EJ22t block / EJ207 JDM STi "big port heads" - 9,000rpm MONEY PIT!!!
** SOLD ** 1995 "Tree-Hugger Green" SVX L AWD(5 MT) --- "Gumby" 130K miles #399 in MY95, my original love...
Old 03-24-2005, 08:50 PM
Hater

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenMarineSVX
What sort of game media does the PSP use? (CD, DVD, Chip)... I've never even seen one ... Just don't play video games as much as I used to...
UMD discs - kinda like MD's, but more capacity.

Old 03-24-2005, 08:51 PM
Hater

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Pockets

Best. Video. EvAr.

ummm....no.

Old 03-24-2005, 09:27 PM
The Kind of Casual SVXer

Send a message via AIM to Weebitob
Registered SVX
It uses two mediums. One is the run of the mill Magic Gate Memory Stick and Memory Stick Pro that is used in some Sony mp3 players, plus Sony and some other brand's digital cameras. The other one which is for buying games and movies, and music albums for them is called UMD (Universal Media Disc). UMDs are meant to be the replacement and they hoping it would financially succeed more in the US than the MiniDisc. In most ways the UMDs are like the read only Hifi-MDs except I think they use a dual layer and grooves that are a bit smaller so they can hold 1.5Gb of data compared to 1Gb.

For me, I am hoping they come out with UMD burners, perhaps burnable UMD based mp3 and even video players. What I really wished for though is if the UMD burner was built into the PSP and it would also have some sort of video out so you can record things from your TV, DVD VCR, Satellite, Cable receivers and ect, not to mention recording any audio medium to listen to it on the go.

Warning: rant from this point and beyond

I had a device like that, well it still does most of the things except for one critical one. It is the RCA Lyra RD2780, nice 20Gb player where you can watch and record video from TVs and such, plus audio and then you can play it on the TV or any audio device that takes tapes or 1/8th mini jacks (or by an adapter). Not to mention supposedly store pictures from your digital camera (or any which used compact flash) for $300. When my dad first got it he wanted something where he can view his pictures off of, it had some menu features disabled such as the digital equalizer not to mention other menu features disabled. So then we tried to use to see if I can see pictures off of the Compact Flash, it froze and I later found out it only works with a few brands. Since he could not return it to Circuit City for anything better at the time, he frustratingly he handed it over to me if I can find any uses for it. Well, after getting a patch which enabled all of the menu features I was happily storing songs and TV show on it to watch. Then one day about a month later when I hooked it up to transfer stuff from the computer, and ended up freezing at transfer mode each time I turned it on. After trying many things to fix it I just returned it for another which then had a problem which I do not remember in which I just returned it again. Then after about another 3 weeks on my third of the solder broke on the headphone plugin. I could have opened up the unit to solder it back in but the problem is I couldn't. The reason for that is because the player uses special 6mm tamper proof torque screws and what I did that was even dumber was spending time searching for a screw driver set that would fit. By the time I quit searching my warranty was up, so now I use it to record TV. So feeling disgusted about making spending anything on a player that is too expensive for me I ended up getting a lightly used MD player off of Ebay for $70 that can record and play onto any audio device that uses optical or normal audio jack lines. I use to have one of these but you have to looking at the screws that hold that top on the MD player because they have a tendacy to pop off which makes the device allot easier to break, which is what happened to my last MD player.

Last edited by Weebitob; 03-24-2005 at 09:37 PM.
Old 03-24-2005, 11:22 PM
Ever Vigilant He Never Sleeps.

Quote:
$249. dingy broad at the register tried to tell me the battery is BUILT-IN and that if it went bad, you'd have to replace the whole unit, so the $39 protection plan was a good idea. WRONG. the battery IS removeable and replaceable.

only a million for the first release, but there should be some left tomorrow. get it early.
hey mulebreath. you should buy that $39 plan if it's a 2 year hassle free, no questions asked warranty. my buddy got one and his ps2 got smacked by lightning and he got his money back from best buy instore 1.75 years later. got a gift card with the exact amount he spent on the ps2 + tax. well worth the $25.

i wonder if they'll cover any accidents done to the ps2 with that $39 warranty.
Old 03-25-2005, 04:14 AM
Hater

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noir
hey mulebreath. you should buy that $39 plan if it's a 2 year hassle free, no questions asked warranty. my buddy got one and his ps2 got smacked by lightning and he got his money back from best buy instore 1.75 years later. got a gift card with the exact amount he spent on the ps2 + tax. well worth the $25.

i wonder if they'll cover any accidents done to the ps2 with that $39 warranty.
i'd be broke if i got a warranty on everything i purchased. i lives on teh edge, man!

besides, its not like i'm some little kid that will be dropping it or using it with McDonald's-grease covered hands. i used the $10 BB gift card that i got when i bought it towards a screen protector, a lid, and a little aluminum case.

Old 03-25-2005, 07:26 PM
Ever Vigilant He Never Sleeps.

Quote:
i'd be broke if i got a warranty on everything i purchased. i lives on teh edge, man!

besides, its not like i'm some little kid that will be dropping it or using it with McDonald's-grease covered hands. i used the $10 BB gift card that i got when i bought it towards a screen protector, a lid, and a little aluminum case.
yeah i don't buy warranties either only because i know i can afford another one if it broke on me.

but it was pretty neat though cause when my buddy took his ps2 in and got credit, he got more than he paid for it because the price for the ps2 dropped to $149 and he got $199 back. he actually made $25 if he didn't buy another warranty, but what's great is the fact that he could have bought something else with that $199 credit. if you have a playstation and get sick of playing it, you could cheat Best Buys by shorting it and using the money to buy something else. warranty loophole

not that i do such things but it's a nice little option to have
Old 03-27-2005, 08:49 PM

I like the concept of the psp but not so sure I like the execution. Its shape makes it less portable then a game boy advance sp and the exposed screen seems like trouble waiting to happen. I'll wait and see if I want one or not, will depend on sooftware avail and price point when it not "new"