Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble

Old 03-17-2005, 03:22 PM
Meow!

Send a message via ICQ to Earthworm Send a message via AIM to Earthworm Send a message via MSN to Earthworm Send a message via Yahoo to Earthworm Send a message via Skype™ to Earthworm
Are you allowed to sell the ABS system to pay for the brake lines?
Old 03-17-2005, 05:19 PM
5 speeds rock! :D

I can't sell any more, no actually I can't credit any more money into the budget for sold parts.

I can TRADE stuff I've still got for other stuff, but I can't work in greenbacks.

I'm out of time anyway. There's no way I could get the ABS removed, new lines installed, and the system sorted out in time. I've got too many other things to do in the next two weeks.

After the Challenge, the SVreX will probably be for sale. Maybe this is something the next owner will be interested in.

'92 LS-L Claret: '01 RS 4:11 5-speed, Exedy organic, lightened flywheel, and Koni/ GC
Old 03-18-2005, 04:07 PM
Meow!

Send a message via ICQ to Earthworm Send a message via AIM to Earthworm Send a message via MSN to Earthworm Send a message via Yahoo to Earthworm Send a message via Skype™ to Earthworm
So the first $2005 takes it right?
Old 03-18-2005, 05:21 PM

That's an interesting question. Part of me wants to make it possible for this car to return to the Grassroots Motorsports Challenge.

Part of me would like to be paid a little bit for the hundreds and hundreds of hours that have been put into this car.

Part of me would like to make on it what I am able, so I can spend it on the students and the next GRM Challenge car. I have a lot of expenses when I do this that are not part of the car (transport of students, hotels, food, lots of educational expenses for me and the kids, etc.).

I have no idea what the price will be. Part of that may be dependent on how well it does at the Challenge.

In a perfect world, I would sell it to a future Challenger for a Challenge-friendly price, and then receive a sponsorship for the next car and scholarships for the kids.

I guess for now I'll consider any offers.

'92 LS-L Claret: '01 RS 4:11 5-speed, Exedy organic, lightened flywheel, and Koni/ GC
Old 03-18-2005, 05:25 PM
Thread Killah
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Registered SVX
I need that car.
92 Ebony LS-L ECUtune Stage2av1, Z32 MAF, 370cc injectors, TomsSVX intake, BontragerWorks 22mm RSB #003, HID Hi and Lo beams, OT endlink and bushing mods, PWR Aluminum radiator, Harvey's QC shift kit, 2.5" flowmaster 80 exhaust, 17" Michelin Pilot Sport A/S, Poly sway bar bushings, Slotted Bradi rotors, AFBeefcake powdercoated calipers, 97 grill, and a huge set of air horns. 300,000 miles and counting
92 Ebony LS-L. ecutune stage1v4, motorsport 1pc pulley. Garage Queen - sold to Dad in upstate NY 155,000 miles
19 Subaru Ascent Premium - -Hers !.
89 DL 4x4 little red wagon - a.k.a. The immortal suby. 275k R.I.P.
Old 03-18-2005, 06:36 PM

For the truly adventerous, this is THE car.

Remember, there is still room for improvement.

Once the budget doesn't matter any more, the sky's the limit!

Let's see:

-6 spd sequential shift dogbox with straight cut gears,
-After-market engine management,
-Twin turbo (about 14 PSI should do it),
-Anti-lag,
-12 point rollcage for stiffness,
-STI suspension,
-About 24 mm anti-sway bars both front and rear,
-A couple of nice Recaro race seats,
-and several sets of clean boxers.

Muhahahah!!

Old 03-30-2005, 09:23 AM

Confirmed featherweight!!

We just put the SVreX on the scales to finalize the corner balancing. Thought you'd like to know- weighs in at 2865 lbs.

That INCLUDES fuel, etc. on board.

Weighing was done on a set of Longacre race scales.

Old 03-30-2005, 09:46 AM
Have a poncho I can borrow?

corner weights?

Axle weights?

Still seems quite heavy to me but you still have the full tank on right?
Old 03-30-2005, 10:21 AM
Official AutoX Part Breaker
Subaru Gold Contributor

Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by svxhunter
Confirmed featherweight!!

We just put the SVreX on the scales to finalize the corner balancing. Thought you'd like to know- weighs in at 2865 lbs.

That INCLUDES fuel, etc. on board.

Weighing was done on a set of Longacre race scales.

So, what was the distribution, wheel to wheel? Are you going to adjust the coilovers to balance everything out?
-Bill

Most famous NASA "Child" - OSIRIS-REx delivered samples from asteroid BENNU to Earth in Sept. 2023

Center Network Member #989

'92 Fully caged, 5 speed, waiting for its fully built EG33
'92 "Test Mule", 4:44 Auto, JDM 4:44 Rear Diff with Mech LSD, Tuned headers, Full one-off suspension
'92(?) Laguna, 6 spd and other stuff (still at OT's place)
My Locker
Old 03-30-2005, 04:21 PM

The car had a 63.4% bias toward the front. I was fairly happy with that, considering the AWD torque split (we wanted the weight distribution to equal the torque split, so the wheels would each be pulling at their optimum).

We adjusted the corners to equal that bias. In other words, the left side of the car is also 63% biased to the front, and the right side of the car is also 63% biased to the front. The left does not equal the right (in order to accomplish that, you'd have to drive the car down the road at an angle, since the driver is off-center).

The corners are all within 2 lbs of there ideal weight.

We also tweaked and balanced the nitrous system. We now have good control and flexibility in how we use the juice.

Took it for a little test drive. All I can say is:

WOO HOO!!!

Old 03-30-2005, 06:24 PM

We leave in the AM for the big show- GRM CHALLENGE!!

Wish us luck!!

Old 03-30-2005, 06:30 PM
Meow!

good luck (again)
Old 03-30-2005, 08:00 PM
Row faster...I hear banjos!!!!

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earthworm
good luck (again)
Ditto! Can't wait to see your new all-motor and NO2 times in the 1/4 mile...

-Chike

2013 Cosmic Blue 5spd Evo X GSR
2006 Galaxy Gray 6MT RX-8 (sold)
2006 Steel Gray WRX TR (sold)
1996 Brilliant Red SVX L (sold)
Old 04-04-2005, 09:34 PM

Well, I'm afraid I didn't represent you guys very well.

The SVreX did really well in the first event- the Autocross. We really had it extremely well sorted out. It seemed there was no limit to how fast we could throw it into corners. It was a total blast to drive!! There were, however, some extremely strong competitors in this field, and some hired gun national champion drivers. We chose to not use the pro drivers.

Second event- the Concourse judging. We did better than last year, partly due to the new paint job and detailing. But the competition has really raised the bar, and we lost a few points in the standings. Still, our ghost graphics and the hood props gave us a great look.

The drags caused us a lot of trouble. First we suffered from traction problems, of all things. The one problem I've never had with an SVX! It started with a slippery track, then we realized our Azenis probably had enough wear to be a little hard, so we switched to the Cooper Cobras we had along. Next we found that a piece of metal had fallen into the FWD fuse slot, slightly shorting the connection and delivering most of our power to only the front wheels (inconsistantly- whenever it felt like giving us trouble). Once we got our traction issues sorted out, we started getting some great jumps- many sub 2 second 60' times with a couple as low as 1.7 seconds. Unfortunately, the tranny we cobbbed together out of 2 cores finally started giving us some woes. Our great jumps were followed by nice firm shifts from 1st to 2nd, but when we got to about 65 mph the tach would just soar, as the tranny searched for 3rd. Occasionally we could find it by letting off a little, but it was extremely inconsistant and it was really late in the day. So, our great starts were followed by disappointing finishes as we simply couldn't find the gears. We never got out of the 15's. One pass was a 1.9 60' with a 15.0 second 1/4 mile at 86 mph. What the heck is that??? I never gave the car the full nitrous juice we were prepared for. I saw no point in risking the motor, if we couldn't get any top speed.

We were still the highest placing Subaru, but it's a little unfair as we were the only one. We finished 25th out of 63 cars this year.

Anyway, the car has given me nothing but joy for over a year of hard driving. She'll be retired from GRM and drag racing now, and be put to use a a dedicated autocrosser. I may still be able to make some adjustments and find her 3rd and 4th gears again, but we have definitely pushed the limits of what we will be able to do with this car at the GRM Challenge, and it is time to move on. The competition is so intense that we will not be able to accomplish anything else with this car.

Now I can put some effort into finishing my Claret 5-speed !! And get to work on my next monster garage creation!! (probably still a Subie- maybe still SVX based!!)

Thanks for all the support you have all offered. There is no question that the SVreX's success was a group effort, and that it never would have been what it was, nor probably existed at all, if not for the SVX World Network. You guys are the best.

Hope you feel the love!!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC04264.JPG (60.2 KB, 95 views)

Old 04-04-2005, 09:42 PM
There's a storm coming.

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX
More than halfway up the pack, not too shaby. Good job! And well done.
the first equal length headers,
the first phenolic spacers,
the first Class Glass fiberglass hood,
the first with 4, 4.44s in his driveway

Fiberglass Hood thread
My locker
4.44 Swap link