Live Chat!
SVX or Subaru Links
Old Lockers
Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > Regional SVX Forum & Clubs > European Forum

Old 02-23-2005, 07:36 AM
Phil & Belha

Transmission fixed, but now CEL

Picked up the SVX from the transmission shop this morning. Gearbox seems to be working great, although I've only tried it in "D" so far.

But now the "Check Wallet" light is on. I pulled the codes and it came up with 29 (Crank Angle Sensor #2) and 32 (RH O2 Sensor).

Engine is running as sweet as ever, so I'm hoping that it's just a couple of loose connectors. I'll have to dig out the wiring diagrams this evening.

Phil.
Old 02-24-2005, 02:37 AM

Keep at it Phil, you know you'll have it licked soon. Our car is rapidly approaching 100K, and I still haven't got the cam-belt from the USA yet........... Not looking forward to changing it when it gets here either !!

I wonder whether changing the O2 sensors would cure the poor pick-up of ours too, seemed better after I changed to the correct plugs, but I messed about with the throttle pot as well.......... fun fun !!
Old 02-25-2005, 03:23 AM
Phil & Belha

Thanks Phil,

How are you and Angie? Any snow where you are?

P&B.
Old 02-25-2005, 07:12 AM

Not too bad thanks Phil. Just burning some leave before the end of the year, if you know what I mean.

Angie reckons 100K today (woohoo!!) so I'd better finish that service I started at 96K............ Yeah we had some snow here, not real snow like Canada or NY state thou. Wednesday morning was the worst, frozen over from Tuesday night, but it's all gone now. Was worse a bit further north towards Lincolnshire Wolds and South East Yorks.

Phil.
Old 02-28-2005, 02:59 AM
Phil & Belha

I found the O2 sensor had been left unplugged.

Couldn't really see the wiring for the Crank Angle sensor as it's buried under the alternator.

I'm going to clear the codes and hope code 29 was a spurious reading.

Phil - I was thinking about what you said about replacing your O2 sensors. If they weren't working they would show an error code.

I had a poor pickup problem on the Legacy, which was solved by a new air filter - even though the old one didn't look particularly bad. But I guess you'll be doing that anyway as part of your 96K-110K service.

Phil.

Last edited by b3lha; 02-28-2005 at 03:05 AM.
Old 03-02-2005, 02:37 PM

Send a message via ICQ to Nobody Send a message via MSN to Nobody
Hi, just my two cents. When my crank sensor died I was not able even start the engine. Cost aprox. 100 EUR for new one. Now engine compleetly rebuilt and running perfect. As I remeber there are two sensors for crank...
Petr
Old 03-03-2005, 05:14 AM
Jersey Girl
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Send a message via Skype™ to svxistentialist
Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally posted by b3lha
I found the O2 sensor had been left unplugged.

Couldn't really see the wiring for the Crank Angle sensor as it's buried under the alternator.

I'm going to clear the codes and hope code 29 was a spurious reading.

Phil - I was thinking about what you said about replacing your O2 sensors. If they weren't working they would show an error code.

I had a poor pickup problem on the Legacy, which was solved by a new air filter - even though the old one didn't look particularly bad. But I guess you'll be doing that anyway as part of your 96K-110K service.

Phil.
Phil,

With the o2 sensor unplugged, it may have had an effect on the total voltage. As Petr says, if there was no signal from the crank sensor, the engine should not be able to start.

Hope yours is only related to the plug being off.

Joe.

PS, Petr: You coming over to the show weekend in July?
White X2 RVR Mitsubishi 1800GDI. Vantastic

40,000 miles Jersey Girl
Old 03-04-2005, 08:55 AM

Send a message via ICQ to Nobody Send a message via MSN to Nobody
Hi Joe,
on 90% I will be there. I plan to visit my colleague from Hewlett Packard UK and so I will do both pleasure and business trip at once:-)
Petr
Old 03-04-2005, 10:28 AM
Jersey Girl
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally posted by Nobody
Hi Joe,
on 90% I will be there. I plan to visit my colleague from Hewlett Packard UK and so I will do both pleasure and business trip at once:-)
Petr
That's great Petr.

HP are down the road from me in Leixlip. My son worked there for a while.

Looking forward to the fun in July.

Joe

40,000 miles Jersey Girl
Old 03-08-2005, 03:26 AM
Phil & Belha

Thumbs down And so it continues...

Took the SVX in this morning to get it tested for MOT certificate. First time it's been driven since the repair. It passed the MOT fine, as always. Pretty good for a 13 year old car. CEL is gone too, must have just been the O2 sensor they left unplugged.

Unfortunately the transmission is binding up when cornering . Memories of the Justy come flooding back. I think it'll have to go back to the transmission shop so they can put it right.

Phil.
Old 03-08-2005, 04:16 AM
Jersey Girl
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by b3lha
Took the SVX in this morning to get it tested for MOT certificate. First time it's been driven since the repair. It passed the MOT fine, as always. Pretty good for a 13 year old car. CEL is gone too, must have just been the O2 sensor they left unplugged.

Unfortunately the transmission is binding up when cornering . Memories of the Justy come flooding back. I think it'll have to go back to the transmission shop so they can put it right.

Phil.
Hi Phil.

How do you like our new look? Classy colours, eh?

Sorry to hear about the binding. With the Justy experience, I expect you know more about it than I do. Mine binds a little on full lock in reverse.

Two things to check or look into.

First, the manuals I have give a range of possible suspects for this. They include the vehicle speed sensor and the TPS, but in the gearbox, it might mean the duty solenoid C is at fault. Maybe you could run a code check and see if it shows anything on solenoid C?

Second, I remember this from Randy's problems, the time he was running a Legacy transmission. The brand new clutches will have to bed in. You are using the Level 10 models, which could be a little grippier than standard, who knows? The solution for bedding them was to find a big empty shopping centre car park, and do a number of slow figure 8s with the car. Slow, mind, not under much power. This allows them to bed in smoothly.

When I got my tranny done last two years ago, it had been giving a clunk or clang when reverse was selected, particularly when cold. Pat's solution for this was to accelerate the car hard in reverse, and do this a few times where you had the room and visibility to do so in safety.

It worked.

Try the figure of eight business, gently. Might cure your problem if you are showing no codes.

PS. Also just thought of something. If your change from 2-3 is jerky, you brake band might be a little too tight from the rebuild, and this could be adding to it. Maybe not? Could be loosened if so but only if sure.

Best of luck with it.

Joe

40,000 miles Jersey Girl
Old 03-18-2005, 08:54 AM
Phil & Belha

We dropped the SVX at 3dTrans last Monday. The binding seemed to have cured itself by the time we got there. He said it could be that that clutches just needed time to bed in. He also said that it's better to let them bed in naturally rather than force them by doing figure-8's which generates heat. They kept it for a few days to give it a thorough testing.

Anyway, we picked it up today and it's working great now.

Phil.
Old 03-19-2005, 12:48 PM
Jersey Girl
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Registered SVX
That is surely good news Phil. Glad you guys got her back and working properly again.

Have you fitted a transmission cooler this time?

Joe

Quote:
Originally Posted by b3lha
We dropped the SVX at 3dTrans last Monday. The binding seemed to have cured itself by the time we got there. He said it could be that that clutches just needed time to bed in. He also said that it's better to let them bed in naturally rather than force them by doing figure-8's which generates heat. They kept it for a few days to give it a thorough testing.

Anyway, we picked it up today and it's working great now.

Phil.

40,000 miles Jersey Girl
Old 03-20-2005, 04:18 PM
Phil & Belha

Hi Joe,

I fitted a cooler before I took it in for repair. A nice big chunky one in the passenger footwell with a little scoop under the car channelling air to it. I found a couple of nice 12V 8A fans at work the other day, so I might add one of those too.

I'm glad it's back on the road because our Legacy is about to eat it's clutch.

Phil.
Old 03-20-2005, 04:51 PM
Jersey Girl
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Registered SVX
That's good Phil.

I had forgotten you bought the bigger cooler. Half the battle keeping the trannies going, I think.

Legacy clutch problem, eh? I could probably sell you a spare Legacy. Just got my second Legacy Twin Turbo from Japan this weekend. Brought it in to take the engine for the earlier one I got last October. It's too nice a car, way too good to break, so I am keeping it, and getting the garage to strip down the other one and see if I can't get the engine fixed.

On with the dirty fingernail brigade then..

Joe

40,000 miles Jersey Girl

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: