How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-07-2005, 03:40 PM

Question...

I found a great SVX for sale, but my father is against me buying it. I've been researching these cars for a while and know about the 3 major problems with them. The one I found for sale has a solid engine and great body/paint, and a very reasonable price too. Anybody know what else I can say to my father to talk him into letting me get this car??

Last edited by Craftsman729; 02-07-2005 at 03:44 PM.
Old 02-07-2005, 04:14 PM

First off, how old are you?

Can you pay for any of it yourself?

Can you cover insurance or repairs yourself? (or part of the cost)

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

As for helping to convince him to let you have it, I would stress the safety aspect of the car, the air bags, the abs, the reinforced door frames etc.........

There are people here who might be able to help you with more info/pics and the like.
I know on NASIOC there was (not sure which section) pictures of a guy who rolled his while driving the dragon, he walked away with just a scratch or two (this was a year or two ago) so you may want to check there

Otherwise consider something like an RS coupe, or Older Legacy Turbo.

Good Luck
Old 02-07-2005, 04:31 PM
Pearlywhites1992

Anybody know what else I can say to my father to talk him into letting me get this ca

Simple. Just have him drive it once, ask him if he's ever been in a more solid vehicle, and remind him that the local Subaru dealer can fix whatever ails it! (usually)
Old 02-07-2005, 04:33 PM
No longer blue member

Send a message via AIM to SubaSteevo
I can say from experience, the SVX is a kind of a poor choice for a first car. You WILL be spending money on repairs. Unfortunately I fell in love with the car, and while it may not have been the right choice, its the only choice I could ever have seen myself making.

As far as your dad: Tell him to concider the alternatives. Many of my friends ended up with Camaros or Mustangs, and after their first NJ snow storm, many ended up wrapped around a tree. Then again many also ended up with Civics or Accords, and then they spent as much on wings and body kits as I did on my repairs. The SVX handles just fine in the snow and is in my opinion, the best looking car you can buy for under $8k. The SVX also seems to have lower insurance rates than many other cars. My a friend of mine has a 93 Celica with 115k on it, she pays $1600 liability only (full coverage would have been $3400/yr), a friend of mine drives a 92 Integra with 120k on it and pays $1700/yr liability only, another friend drives a 96 Mustang and pays $3k liability only, I pay $1800/yr with full coverage.

Member #895(the member formerly known as BurgundyBeast)
01' MSM Lexus IS300
Old 02-07-2005, 05:24 PM
SVX Appeal

The SVX is a pretty safe car, mostly due to it's weight. If you get into trouble, it's likely to save your skin. On the other hand, it's a performance car and it's got plenty of power. With all that power, it'll get you into trouble real quick, and it'll get you in deeper and faster than most cars.

Sure, they're safe, but you're more likely to need it.

They're neat cars if you really love 'em. Definitely a lousy first car though.
Old 02-07-2005, 05:53 PM

This definitely won't be my first car. My father works for SOA Headquarters in Cherry Hill, NJ so he knows all about these cars. That's what concerns him...the fact that they are so expensive to maintain. Even though I get parts at a discount through him, the fact that insurance on these things is so pricey has him a bit worried about it all. Especially since the insurance for one year costs the same as buying another SVX! Don't know what else to tell him to get him to change his mind.
Old 02-07-2005, 06:03 PM

the insurance is outrageous (except maybe for Steve in NJ). I'm 53 and my premium went up about 15% when I got the SVX - and my previous car was a Toyota MR2 turbo - stupid me, I thought the premium would go down.
Old 02-07-2005, 06:19 PM

Send a message via ICQ to Mr. Pockets
Registered SVX
Even though it wouldn't be your first car, an SVX is still a poor choice for a college student. The heartache you'll incur from not buying the car is nothing compared to the stress that owning one will.

Honestly, I love my SVX and I thing it's been a very reliable car. But I put mine away a few years ago so it would stay that way. As the cars get older, they're only going to become more and more inconvenient as daily drivers.

2005 RX-8 Grand Touring
2005 Outback
2002 Mercedes-Benz E320 wagon

END OF LINE
Old 02-07-2005, 07:53 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Mr. Pockets
Honestly, I love my SVX and I thing it's been a very reliable car. But I put mine away a few years ago so it would stay that way. As the cars get older, they're only going to become more and more inconvenient as daily drivers.
I can understand that. The thing is though that I don't want it to be my daily driver (for now). I have a 2001 Pickup that I drive every day, but every now and again I just wish I had a sports car. With my dad working at Subaru, I figured that the cost of parts/labor wouldn't kill me as much as it would the average joe. Is there any way to get the insurance to be less by telling them that I'll only be driving this car a couple times a month??
Old 02-07-2005, 08:05 PM
Ciscokid

Yeah, most insurance companies give discounts for low mileage use, I think if you can keep it under 5k miles you should pay less, not much less, but less.
Old 02-07-2005, 08:40 PM
Invisible avatar
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Send a message via AIM to Ron Mummert Send a message via Yahoo to Ron Mummert
Question

Why not put the car in your dad's name with you listed as an occasional driver? BIG difference.

Ron.

'92 stock semi-pristine ebony - 160K
'96 Grand Caravan - 240K
'01 Miata SE - 79K
'07 Chrysler Pacifica - 60k - future money pit.
Old 02-07-2005, 09:21 PM
OMGWTFBBQ!!1!11!LMAOROFLC OPTER

Quote:
Originally posted by Craftsman729
My father works for SOA Headquarters in Cherry Hill, NJ
Could you find out if any prototypes are stored there and if there are could u please steal it for me?

2006 Subaru Impreza 2.5i....5spd - My daily driver

2006 Subaru Legacy 2.5i -7k miles..Mom's daily driver

2,543 Member of the SVX World Network
Old 02-07-2005, 11:06 PM
I have a problem. :(

Send a message via AIM to shelfy Send a message via Yahoo to shelfy
Registered SVX
if you were my son, i'd let you have an svx. it's safe, i think it's cheap to insure, i don't believe its any more expensive to maintain than any other car its age, and its not really that quick. i feel i'm much more likely to hurt or kill myself in the legacy.

1997 Subaru SVX LSi "Svetlana" #185 of 640 - 09/1996 - Polo Green Pearl - 34k miles

1992 Subaru SVX LS-L "Everett" #8738 - 01/1992 - Ebony Pearl - 139k miles - 5MT shifty - Sold 07/31/2011

1992 Subaru SVX LS-L "Sven" #1599 - 05/1991 - Claret - 168k miles - Traded 05/11/2005

2023 Subaru Crosstrek Limited CVT - Crystal White Pearl - 2.8k miles
2021 Subaru Forester 2.5i Limited CVT - Horizon Blue Pearl - 17k miles
2023 Volkswagen Jetta S 6MT - Pure White - 2.6k miles
2020 Hyundai Ioniq Limited EV - Ceramic White - 30k miles
Old 02-07-2005, 11:56 PM

Send a message via AIM to sharky512345
Quote:
Originally posted by Ron Mummert
Why not put the car in your dad's name with you listed as an occasional driver? BIG difference.

Ron.
BIG difference for sure. That is what I am doing and am paying $1000 less every 6 monthes. Huge difference in price.
Old 02-08-2005, 05:46 AM
no limitation as limitation

if my dad were hear he would be screeming "NOOOOOOOOOOOOOO"

my car is problematic now and again mostly durning the winter months but other than thats its a solid car that rarely leaves me hangin. but when you break somethin its a PITA to fix. but since you got a man on the inside i think that wont be much of a problem for you.

your father probably doesnt want you to have a fast car because hes you dad and he knows your going to speed. if my pops test drove the svx i wouldnt own it now because its so fast (he thought it just looked fast i guess he was confused with the celica)