Live Chat!
SVX or Subaru Links
Old Lockers
Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > MOD Mania > Interior Mods

Old 01-21-2005, 12:42 PM
svxtcy

reverse glow gauges

I would like to install some reverse glow gauges like the ones found at motorsportwarehouse, but I have a question.. do i have to disconnect any light bulbs around the gauges which illuminates the stock "faces" from the front.? The only light source i want is from the gauges self illumination, and no aid from any other lights to drown them out. thanks
Old 01-22-2005, 03:34 AM

2 bulbs

There are two small bulbs that illuminate the faces. You have to remove the bracket that holds them to the gauge cluster to get to the faces so they're pretty obvious - you can't miss them. Removing the bulbs is a sinch.
Old 01-22-2005, 04:19 PM
Locker Link Solution

Hey gsodonis,
do you have the MotorSport gauges?

I have been trying to find some that used to be sold on ebay about two years ago, and I can not find them. They were perfect, but no dice... I just loved the color and font from those other ones, and they didn't have that stupid circle around the needle. But i'm thinking about maybe using dayle's.
In progess: track down mystery noise <-identified, paint the new dash, get better pic
Spring plans: Replace Trans - Integrate ECU with the carputer - Suspension - Go back to STI Filter - Paint? Maybe not - Next Oil change: Purolator L30165

Member #995 | My Locker | My New Locker

Catch you next at: ? Auto-X ?
Old 01-23-2005, 07:35 AM

eBay specials

I got mine on eBay but I believe that they are the same as the ones available on Motorsports Warehouse. They are available from Dayle or from www.procarparts.com's website but every once in a while they (procarparts) will put the SVX guage faces on eBay, in which case you can save about $10 bucks from their normal on-line price. If you get them, you can install them as-is pretty easily. I embellished mine with some flat white testors model paint to eliminate the huge contrast of the black screw heads, needle centers and needle rest pins against the white backround. Only took about 15 more minutes.
Old 01-23-2005, 04:08 PM
Locker Link Solution

Re: eBay specials

Quote:
Originally posted by gsodonis
I embellished mine with some flat white testors model paint to eliminate the huge contrast of the black screw heads, needle centers and needle rest pins against the white backround.
Only way to do it .
It looks like the gauges inside the liberty when complete. You did a good job on yours.
In progess: track down mystery noise <-identified, paint the new dash, get better pic
Spring plans: Replace Trans - Integrate ECU with the carputer - Suspension - Go back to STI Filter - Paint? Maybe not - Next Oil change: Purolator L30165

Old 01-24-2005, 06:51 AM

Re: Re: eBay specials

Quote:
Originally posted by Speedklix

Only way to do it .
It looks like the gauges inside the liberty when complete. You did a good job on yours.
Thanks. I'm not finished playing with colors yet. One thought (I know you want to keep the black faces at night with only the blue illuminated) is to have the two clear bulbs that illuminate the stock faces switch to UV LED's. I have tried them and are practically invisible to the naked eye and nothing on the stock faces glows. My thought is to paint the needles with a red/orange UV paint that will glow under the two UV lights. One of my biggest complaints with the stock gauges is that the needles just aren't bright enough for my taste.

Anyway, good luck with your guages and let me know if you need any stock bulbs; I have a ton left over when I converted my backlight ones to white LED's.
Old 01-24-2005, 02:56 PM
Locker Link Solution

Re: Re: Re: eBay specials

Quote:
Originally posted by gsodonis
red/orange UV paint that will glow under the two UV lights. One of my biggest complaints with the stock gauges is that the needles just aren't bright enough for my taste.

Anyway, good luck with your guages and let me know if you need any stock bulbs; I have a ton left over when I converted my backlight ones to white LED's.
That is actually what I had in mind . At first I was thinking of shaving them, scuffin' em up and putting leds behind the base. but as I get closer to doing the gauges I keep thinking UV will be cheaper, easier, and probably look better. I have plenty of bulbs, but thanks for the offer. I'll post pics, but don't expect them till march.