Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Not Exactly SVX
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-14-2004, 10:39 PM
drbiggly

Talking

I also thought it was pretty entertaining to see a group of Subaru nuts try to see who could assemble their grill the fastest:

Old 06-14-2004, 10:52 PM
Hater

Quote:
Originally posted by mohrds
I agree. He should stop posting complaints and looking for sympathy.
not looking for sympathy, pity, or attention. i don't even care if you like me, just don't subject me to these rules and turn a blind eye to others because you somehow have a beef with me.

Quote:
Believe me, its not just Rob. Alan is capable of starting crap anywhere with anyone.
yeah, but *anybody* is capable of starting crap anywhere with anyone.

i still haven't received an answer - why has using a picture of Rob in my avatar caused all this grief? Green1995SVX had Greenmarine in his avatar, civic_slayer had Seraph in his avatar, and Seraph has Alycone in his avatar. were they issued warnings? no. my picture was of someone who is not even a member of this site anymore - how can that possibly be a crime?

can i get an answer? (no response to previous PM's when i asked this before, BTW.)

for the record......
Landshark vs. mohrds

1987 928 S4 (Black) SOLD!
1997 SVX LSi (Ebony) SOLD!
2005 Legacy GT (Silver) [Cobb Stg 2+] SOLD!
2005 Forester XT Premium (Crystal Gray Metallic) SOLD!
2008 Lancer Evolution X MR (Apex Silver) [Cobb Stg 1+]
2015 Outlander Sport 2.4GT AWD (Mercury Gray)
2013 G37xS (Obsidian Black)
Old 06-14-2004, 11:01 PM
Word to Yo Motha

Send a message via AIM to SVXer95
About the Dragon

So Porter, When is the next Dragon meet? I definitely want to be there next time. Even if it is ridiculously far from me...

1995 L AWD
Locker

1987 Porsche 944 turbo
80k miles. MBC + Chips. Relatively Stock
Old 06-15-2004, 12:13 AM
BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOST

Send a message via AIM to Phast SVX
private

Quote:
Originally posted by Mr. Pockets

While I absolutely agree with Chris (that moderation of this site should remain private whenever possible) I'm going to stand with Doug on this one.
private? as in how a moderator reached out to rob asking for his modified 9005 bulbs(that rob was going to give to him for the price of the bulbs), only to get his address and then continue on to post his persenal adress inside the moderator forum not once but TWO TIMES, saying do what you will with it. Where is that mans warning, or banning? oh thats right,some of the other moderators merely cracked jokes at it, saying that a phone number would be better. That is my big problem with this whole situation. the group is select, and new members rarely stick around anymore, their posts dont even recieve replies(beyond the initial "hello and welcome" post.

not that this post isnt apt for deletion as soon as it's up. Being able to delete your own mistakes is handy as well.
Quote:
Originally posted by wawazat??

Do you really believe this Phil? Let the world run rampant and eventually things will sort themselves out? Mob justice? Every man for himself?

Chaos has been not been the issue, but the general tone and feeling of the board has been shifting away from what was a pleasant discussion group (with a single moderator) from years past to a board where multiple moderators are now needed and members are being banned for their actions. Rules were not needed in the past as members reminded others that this was a "family-friendly" board and please watch their language, links, etc. That atmosphere is gone. We, the mods, were in the past working behind the scenes and deleting threads, editing posts, asking members to discontinue certain actions. This resulted in people questioning our actions and making demands that they had no right to make. The rules posted at the top of each forum were put in place to clearly define what is acceptable here and what is not. Stay within them and we have order. Fall outside of them, and you now know what your own fate is. These rules will probably change over time as new situations arise, but we are now enforcing them.

I have no strong belief in being PC, however we would like to keep members from attacking members, avoid flame wars, not discuss illegal activities (of any kind), and keep the language and topics acceptable for all ages and backgrounds to discuss. Remember that the group is very diverse in age, socio-political background, religious beliefs, and economic status. Many people log in from their place of work and therefore NWS (not work safe) stuff will be deleted so as not to have one members post restrict or deny access to this board to another. There are plenty of anything-goes discussion boards out there on the web. If chaos is what you desire, have at 'em.

There have been many members driven away from the board by un-moderated actions like those described above. When was the last time you saw Trevor here for instance? While his tone was sometimes difficult to discern from his messages, his real-life experiences were extensive and wide-ranging and he was very approachable if treated with respect and common courtesy (like any of us would appreciate). Like your friend Rob, he despised BS and could logically debate others claims. He is now gone from this board; a loss to all of us in my opinion.

Our goal is to keep the peace, deal with the occasional out-of-bounds post/poster, and generally keep this place a decent place to ask questions, meet friends, and hang-out. I've personally had the pleasure of meeting many members at the meets I've attended (10th Anniversary, and two Reading meets). I've had members to my house and have been so lucky as to have been invited to drive a RHD SVX while in Ireland and then spend time with Joe and his family. I wish more people here would take the time to actually meet (face-to-face) the other members here.

I'm sorry for the long post. I realize meny here will not read this. Their decision. The moderators as a group truly enjoy spending time here. We have no desire for a "police state" regardless of how Chris and Alan feel. We are passionate about the car and the friends we've made here and we will take actions to keep those friends here and active within the group.

Regards and Happy Belated Birthday,
Todd
Todd i dont believe that is how the world should work. I ment its how this board worked, and why people are rebelling. But it dosnt work that way anymore, you are right. And im very sad it dosnt. I too have met many SVX members as well, i see them all the time. In fact, i feel such an attachement to this community that when i swapped out to my 5spd i GAVE AWAY all the parts to people who either contacted me or i saw posted that they needed a solenoid etc. Their is very little left to my 4eat at all.
I do however feel that the actions that are behind closed doors and "moderation" are against everything this board use to stand for. Since when did this group become select? After being friends with rob my welcome wore out here, never having one of the moderators ever meet me(or him), and kidding around and being nice to me long before he ever showed up. I defended a friend, something that ALL of you would have done. weather you thought that person was 100% right or 100% wrong you would defend your friend. If that leaves me out of a community, then so be it.

But with all due respect, that moderator who posted robs information has lost all respect and from his immature temperement, should have no say in anything to do with moderating others. Dont tell me you cant agree me with on that todd.
sincerly
Phillip Gantz, SVX owner since 16(and for life)
Old 06-15-2004, 01:42 AM
Hater

Quote:
Originally posted by drbiggly
On Thursday night, we drank beer and sat around the cabins telling stories. Cars were parked and we ignored them.
are you serious?!?

had to say it.

Old 06-15-2004, 05:39 AM

Sonar : 807000 ...

/Sonny

-92 ebony black with 170k KM

*** -Stress is when you wake up screaming & you realize you haven't fallen asleep yet. ***
Old 06-15-2004, 06:58 AM
Yeah, I'm still around

Re: private

Quote:
Originally posted by Phast SVX
But with all due respect, that moderator who posted robs information has lost all respect and from his immature temperement, should have no say in anything to do with moderating others. Dont tell me you cant agree me with on that todd.
sincerly
Phillip Gantz, SVX owner since 16(and for life)
I do agree with you Phil and that member is NOT a moderator. He has nothing to do with the moderating. The only people who do are:

Administrator
Chris (Network owner/admin.), sith (Colin, admin), Green95SVX (Mike, admin.)

Moderators
mohrds (Doug), immortal_suby (Matt), svxistentialist (Joe), Jamsvx (James), ensteele (Earl), Mr. Pockets (Nick), and me.

We, the moderators, were moderating based on how we felt things should be handled. As you stated, rules were not needed in the past. The threads in question are often copied to a hidden forum for future reference (unless the infraction was blatantly obvious) and the post/thread acted upon. This resulted in people questioning why things were modified. Our repsonses led to people citing unfair moderation and complaining to the admins who are not often here. With no posted rules, we found ourselves questioned for our actions (from both the member and the admin) and requested that clearly visible rules be put in place that determine our course of action in a particular situation. These rules and our actions on them have now resulted in people complaining about the rules and the police state that they feel is now in place.

Without the rules in place, many of the moderators, mylelf included, would no longer be moderating. The job is thankless and surely no resume booster. We want to maintain the peace, stop the descent into chaos, and preserve the American way.......

nevermind

Todd
Old 06-15-2004, 08:01 AM
Fight Eminent Domain Abuse!

Send a message via AIM to mohrds Send a message via Yahoo to mohrds
Quote:
Originally posted by Landshark

yeah, but *anybody* is capable of starting crap anywhere with anyone.

i still haven't received an answer - why has using a picture of Rob in my avatar caused all this grief? Green1995SVX had Greenmarine in his avatar, civic_slayer had Seraph in his avatar, and Seraph has Alycone in his avatar. were they issued warnings? no. my picture was of someone who is not even a member of this site anymore - how can that possibly be a crime?

can i get an answer? (no response to previous PM's when i asked this before, BTW.)
Simple.
Greenmarine didn't complain.
Seraph didn't complain.
Alcyone didn't complain.
Rob did complain.

It was a picture of someone you didn't like. All the examples you gave were between friends. You and Rob aren't friends. You did not put it there to be funny in a friendly way, you put it there to humiliate Rob and show him that you won. Just because Rob doesn't post anymore, doesn't mean that he can be harassed by you.

You are playing your "what did I do?" games again.

Being on this board is not a right. It is a culmination of Chris and many other's hard work and sacrifice. You don't get to buck everything you are told by the moderators. You don't get to play YOUR way. If a moderator tells you to stop doing something, you stop doing it, or you leave.

If the moderators and admin staff were not in total agreement with me, they would let me know. Just because each one doesn't take time out of their day to PM you about every bad decision you make, doesn't mean that there aren't sick of your games. You are just lucky enough to get stuck with me as your guardian for the time you are here.

Doug
Black over Claret with 2.5" setback spoiler; 202,000 miles; Mods: B&M Cooler
1994 LSi (4/93)
Bordeaux Pearl; 198,000 miles; Mods: Weight reduction.

1969 Mustang GT Convertible
1970 Mustang Convertible
2000 Ford Excursion
Sola lingua bona est lingua mortua.

My Locker

Last edited by mohrds; 06-15-2004 at 08:03 AM.
Old 06-15-2004, 08:37 AM

Send a message via ICQ to Mr. Pockets
Registered SVX
Quote:
If the moderators and admin staff were not in total agreement with me, they would let me know.
That we would, Dougie. As I've told many people, as moderators we typically don't take action on our own. In most cases we make sure we have a consensus before doing something. Sometimes we'll go ahead and can a thread or warn somebody if there's a clear precedent (we've agreed on something similar in the past), but we still let eachother know that we've done it.

The biggest reason we had this policy was that there were no posted rules and we wanted to ensure consistency.

2005 RX-8 Grand Touring
2005 Outback
2002 Mercedes-Benz E320 wagon

END OF LINE
Old 06-15-2004, 09:11 AM
Hater

Quote:
It was a picture of someone you didn't like. All the examples you gave were between friends. You and Rob aren't friends. You did not put it there to be funny in a friendly way, you put it there to humiliate Rob and show him that you won. Just because Rob doesn't post anymore, doesn't mean that he can be harassed by you.
wrong again. i will explain.
the reason i put the picture of Rob up involves ebay (although this wasn't nearly as unethical as what the mods did to him.) he was selling clear headlight lenses on ebay and used two pictures of my car in his ad. i was miffed that he used them without asking my permission - i wouldn't have cared had he asked - hell, i would have sent him a better picture if he just asked. i put that picture in my avatar as a message to him. i would guess that besides Phil and a handful of others, not many people even knew who that picture was - that was a message just for Rob. perhaps a better solution would have been to pretend to buy the clear lenses, get his home address, and then have a big guffaw with my sewing circle?

BTW, i don't hate Rob and have it in for him, etc. i'm big enough to discern the difference between some bickering on an internet forum and real life. apparently some overly sensitive types can't make this distinction.

Quote:
You are playing your "what did I do?" games again.
....and you are trying to stab a guess at the situation and making knee-jerk reactions again.

Last edited by Landshark; 06-15-2004 at 09:16 AM.
Old 06-15-2004, 09:13 AM
drbiggly

Quote:

are you serious?!?

had to say it.
I see you've heard of my roommate... lol
Old 06-15-2004, 09:18 AM
Hater

Quote:
Originally posted by drbiggly

I see you've heard of my roommate... lol
don't ever let that guy move away - that is comedy gold. i see a major motion picture in the works.......

Old 06-15-2004, 09:22 AM
Fight Eminent Domain Abuse!

Send a message via AIM to mohrds Send a message via Yahoo to mohrds
Quote:
wrong again. i will explain.
the reason i put the picture of Rob up involves ebay (although this wasn't nearly as unethical as what the mods did to him.) he was selling clear headlight lenses on ebay and used two pictures of my car in his ad. i was miffed that he used them without asking my permission - i wouldn't have cared had he asked - hell, i would have sent him a better picture if he just asked. i put that picture in my avatar as a message to him. i would guess that besides Phil and a handful of others, not many people even knew who that picture was - that was a message just for Rob. perhaps a better solution would have been to pretend to buy the clear lenses, get his home address, and then have a big guffaw with my sewing circle?

BTW, i don't hate Rob and have it in for him, etc. i'm big enough to discern the difference between some bickering on an internet forum and real life. apparently some overly sensitive types can't make this distinction.
You just made my point for me by incriminating yourself, thank you.

BTW: The address thing was not done by a moderator. Just a regular member of the board like yourself.

Doug
Black over Claret with 2.5" setback spoiler; 202,000 miles; Mods: B&M Cooler
1994 LSi (4/93)
Bordeaux Pearl; 198,000 miles; Mods: Weight reduction.

1969 Mustang GT Convertible
1970 Mustang Convertible
2000 Ford Excursion
Sola lingua bona est lingua mortua.

My Locker
Old 06-15-2004, 09:39 AM
Hater

Quote:
You just made my point for me by incriminating yourself, thank you.
i guess i am an incriminal then

Quote:
BTW: The address thing was not done by a moderator. Just a regular member of the board like yourself.
i'm sure he was issued a warning about such behavior. oh wait, everyone had a good laugh!

Old 06-15-2004, 09:41 AM

Send a message via ICQ to Mr. Pockets
Registered SVX
Both of you cut it out. We handle this stuff privately for a reason.

Several of them, as a matter of fact.

2005 RX-8 Grand Touring
2005 Outback
2002 Mercedes-Benz E320 wagon

END OF LINE