How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Not Exactly SVX
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-11-2004, 12:17 PM

Favorite: Incomparable Ford 289.

Least favorite: Whatever it was that GM put in my first wife's Chevette.

dcb
Old 06-11-2004, 01:58 PM
5 speeds rock! :D

I've got 2 standards which give me joy.

1) Classic, simple, reliable design- Shadow248's list did a good job covering the bases, though I also LOVE the High Performance 327 which sits in the engine bay of my 1960 El Camino! (Honestly, the 289 and the 5.0 meet this criteria also, but I'd rather walk than drive a Ford)

2) Over-the-top extemely fine engineering and performance excellence- The EG33 (among others) fits the bill! The EG33 is the only one I can afford!

'92 LS-L Claret: '01 RS 4:11 5-speed, Exedy organic, lightened flywheel, and Koni/ GC
Old 06-11-2004, 03:41 PM
Destroyer of worlds.

Fav engine...

Toyota 2F - 4.2L cast iron behemoth.
Old 06-11-2004, 04:18 PM
Rep from the outside world

Send a message via AIM to Shadow248
Quote:
originally posted by deruvian
And I hate to do it, but it's kinda like the whole "Your wheels... are on... backwards!" Anyway, it's a 302, not a 307.
Yeah I just did the math in my head 5.0L = 307ci...problem is very few engines are properly named. The "Corvette 350" in my T/A is in fact a 346ci motor. So who knows anyway.

Quote:
Originally posted by upnygimp
1992 Buick Century 3300 motor - not sure of the designation, maybe Shadow knows...
If memory serves me (usually doesn't), that would be the L62. That engine was reincarnated as the L36 (3.1L 60 degree V6 with SFI) 3100 that now resides in a whole lot of GM cars. Would have been on my list if the 3.8 didn't exist.
Old 06-11-2004, 07:59 PM
Superbeast

#1 fav. Early EJ22 SOHC (least problems of all the EJ's, Easy to work on, good for 300K, and I can pick them up for $50 used)

#2 GM flat head straite 8 (It just looks so ****ing cool)

Hate LS1 or LT1 What ever that peice of crap they put in Corvetts and Camaros from like 86 to present with the bad front mount dist. Ever had to tune one up? If so you would hate them to.
92 SVX #772 140k 6speed, ECU Tune stage II, Koni/Ground control, 3,270lbs.
91 Legacy Turbo 5spd. FMIC, crappy stock turbo, ACT clutch.
78 BRAT (New toy) (Soon to be EJ22T powered)
90 240 SX. RB25 powered!! DRIFT!!!111!!! (GF's car)

To many cars to spend time on teh web!
Old 06-11-2004, 09:19 PM

In the cool looks department I'd have to cast a vote for the early flathead Fords.

Love the looks- still wouldn't drive one!

'92 LS-L Claret: '01 RS 4:11 5-speed, Exedy organic, lightened flywheel, and Koni/ GC
Old 06-12-2004, 11:06 AM

The Wizard .....!!

There is only ONE engine that has this "effect" on me ......the effect of shiver to the bones .....and it is NOT an car engine.... and it's not a new engine .....

The engine itsellf was produced for an airplane, THE airplane of WW2 .... fitted in the sleek body of the SuperMarine's Spitfire ..... the MERLIN 12 ..... WOOOOWWW

must stop writing and calm my nerves down ...

/Sonny

-92 ebony black with 170k KM

*** -Stress is when you wake up screaming & you realize you haven't fallen asleep yet. ***
Old 06-12-2004, 11:19 PM
Rep from the outside world

Send a message via AIM to Shadow248
Quote:
Originally posted by Subafreak
Hate LS1 or LT1 What ever that peice of crap they put in Corvetts and Camaros from like 86 to present with the bad front mount dist. Ever had to tune one up? If so you would hate them to.
I'm going to clear this one up for you...i'm going to assume you are talking about the LQ series TBI motors. They were plagued with electrical problems and the EGR system was an unecessary nightmare. However the engine was re-topped in 1993 with a new computer controlled TPI system and an HEI ignition known as "Opti-spark" (LT1). That was enough to put them on the "Ten Best" list of engines for two years until the "Opti-spark" units started melting. They still haven't figured that one out. Anyway, in it's third generation, the 1997-present LS1 has made the top five since it's birth. They changed over to SFI with an SSD integrated system to match, and in many people's minds, perfected the FI V8.

Just had to clear that up, because to say "86-present" is covering one hell of a technological leap.
Old 06-15-2004, 10:53 PM
check out www.planetsvx.com

classis big block

Fords well known SOHC motor (pronounced sock)
427 cubic inches
Yes, built in the 60s, and used in a few rare production cars
AKA as "The Cammer" 4 cams total
the longest timing chain ever used on a V8 (LOL)
515 lbs./ft. @ 3,800 RPM (4V)
575 lbs./ft. @ 4,200 RPM (8V)
Sodium filled valves

or for more, here you go:

http://phystutor.tripod.com/stang/engines/427sohc.html

If you can find just the motor these days, its worth more
then probably any of our cars sadly enough depending on
how you look at it

CLICK the LINK below to Visit the SVX Store:

http://www.planetsvx.com

http://www.motorsportwarehouse.com/svx/sig2.jpg

Cars in the garage:
92 Toyota Soarer Single Turbo JDM RHD
70 Boss 302 Mustang 39k original miles
97 SVX Lsi
92 Liquid Silver Murano-ized (1st of its kind)
71 Cougar Xr7 Conv 351c 4v 4spd
69 SS Camaro 350
71 Nissan RHD Fairlady Z
70 Stang Fastback
70 Amc AMX 390
71 240z
89 Conquest TSi w/ 5.0 v8 swap
84 Mustang GT Turbo conv

"good, if it bleeds, we can kill it ....."
Old 06-16-2004, 07:14 AM
From POST-***** to LURKER

Hmmm well there are a few...

I like the EG33 alot but I'm not sure if it's my favorite engine or not... So here's my list... In no real order...

- EG33 (Subaru)
- EJ20t (Subaru)
- The 1.6 Ltr Diesel Volkswagen engine from the old Rabbits and Gulf's... (This was the first engine that I ever rebuilt... I was 16 yrs old)
- 3.4ltr Flat six from the 1999 Porsche 911 Carrera. (This thing pulls so hard all the way to redline, it's like no other N/A engine that I've ever been in!!!)
- Detroit 60 Series (12.7Ltr inline 6)... Yep this is the engine that started my love of Diesel Engines. Worked on this thing ALOT at Volvo Heave Equiptment before joining the Marines... Talk about reliability!!! Trucks would regularly come in there with well over 500,000 miles still on the stock internals!!! 1300 lb-ft torque at only 1,250rpm's!!! But ad a properly tuned Propane injection system to that and you're looking at nearly 2200lb-ft!!!!

Diesel power is great!!!

** SOLD **1998 Subaru Legacy 2.5GT Wagon - MOST RELIABLE car I've ever owned
** SOLD **2006Subaru WRXSTi (Former "Boxer4Racing.com / Continential Tire" STi) - Built EJ22t block / EJ207 JDM STi "big port heads" - 9,000rpm MONEY PIT!!!
** SOLD ** 1995 "Tree-Hugger Green" SVX L AWD(5 MT) --- "Gumby" 130K miles #399 in MY95, my original love...

Last edited by GreenMarine; 06-16-2004 at 07:20 AM.
Old 06-16-2004, 08:22 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by GreenMarineSVX

- The 1.6 Ltr Diesel Volkswagen engine from the old Rabbits and Gulf's... (This was the first engine that I ever rebuilt... I was 16 yrs old)
LOL- now there's an extremely interesting choice. I had one of those diesel Golfs. It had all the disadvantages of a diesel- noisy, stinky, dirty. I will confess, however, that it still pulled the Golf with a reasonable amount of sportiness, and the fuel econmomy was incredible. Without any special engineering (like a hybrid car, etc.), I easily got 50+ MPG consistantly around town out of a 5 seater. (On a car I paid $600 for).

With current gas prices, I sort of wish I still had it! Cost me $97 to fill the tank on my Behemoth yesterday.

Old 06-16-2004, 07:05 PM
Superbeast

Quote:
Originally posted by Shadow248

I'm going to clear this one up for you...i'm going to assume you are talking about the LQ series TBI motors. They were plagued with electrical problems and the EGR system was an unecessary nightmare. However the engine was re-topped in 1993 with a new computer controlled TPI system and an HEI ignition known as "Opti-spark" (LT1). That was enough to put them on the "Ten Best" list of engines for two years until the "Opti-spark" units started melting. They still haven't figured that one out. Anyway, in it's third generation, the 1997-present LS1 has made the top five since it's birth. They changed over to SFI with an SSD integrated system to match, and in many people's minds, perfected the FI V8.

Just had to clear that up, because to say "86-present" is covering one hell of a technological leap.

Yeah....but....they still SUCK! to tune up
92 SVX #772 140k 6speed, ECU Tune stage II, Koni/Ground control, 3,270lbs.
91 Legacy Turbo 5spd. FMIC, crappy stock turbo, ACT clutch.
78 BRAT (New toy) (Soon to be EJ22T powered)
90 240 SX. RB25 powered!! DRIFT!!!111!!! (GF's car)

To many cars to spend time on teh web!
Old 06-17-2004, 07:20 AM
0h n0es!

Send a message via ICQ to IggDawg Send a message via AIM to IggDawg
I've always had a soft spot for the RB26DETT.... but as far as the engines I've dealt with,

One of my personal favorites has to be the EJ22t. I got more intimate with that engine than any other I can think of. I knew the thing inside and out. it was a bulletproof little motor. closed deck, forged crank and rods IIRC. it'd take 350hp on stock internals. Easily as overengineered as the EG33. closed deck and oil squirters for only 8.7 lbs of boost. and no intercooler to boot. slap an IC and a TD05 on that thing and your legacy will eat WRXs and S4s like nothing.

The EG33 is quickly becoming a frontrunner for the new first place slot. Another great example of overengineering. very well designed in general. I'm very happy with the unit in my car, and impressed with the results other people have gotten. it's rare that you see an engine that's set up so well that it's "too good for bolt-ons." they did a fine enough job at the factory that the only real way to squeeze significantly more power out of it without altering the heads or internals is FI or nitrous.

-IggDawg

1992 Teal SVX LS-L 160k miles
4.11:1 final drive, K&B dropsprings, ART front rotors, stainless steel brake, aluminum underdrive crank pulley, Kuhmo Ecsta Supra 712's, K&N drop-in filter. Previously owned by Alacrity024. FOR SALE

1994 SVX LSi, Barcelona Red #1659, build date 11/93, 117k miles, RIP
ECUtune stage 1, bead crush, smallcar shift kit, TB bypass, SS brake lines, silencer removed, alternator and grounding wires, Mobil1 @ 117k
Old 06-17-2004, 08:15 AM
Row faster...I hear banjos!!!!

I've got more than a soft spot for that RB26DETT...call it a puddle of drool!

-Chike
Quote:
Originally posted by IggDawg
I've always had a soft spot for the RB26DETT....

2013 Cosmic Blue 5spd Evo X GSR
2006 Galaxy Gray 6MT RX-8 (sold)
2006 Steel Gray WRX TR (sold)
1996 Brilliant Red SVX L (sold)
Old 06-17-2004, 08:47 AM
Porter

Hmm, favorite motors...

For American iron I'd have to say 351 Windsor, esp. in 383 configuration. I've gotten a chance to hear one set up ridiculously very recently, and it made the hairs on the back of my neck stand up.

As for more exotic motors, I'd have to say I LOVE the sound of a 1953 BRM 1.5L 16cyl. The scream is just unbelievable.

Check out these links for info on two different versions of the H16, the later one from the 1960s being higher displacement:
http://8w.forix.com/brmp15.html
http://members.madasafish.com/~d_hod.../brm-e-H16.htm

And this one for the sound... turn up your speakers after it pulls away!
http://privat.bluezone.no/jerry/linjer/sounz/brm.mp3