IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Not Exactly SVX

Old 05-18-2004, 09:24 AM
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Send a message via Yahoo to newsvx
Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally posted by svxhunter

I think that makes braided lines on a 1992 illegal.
I'm afraid I would have to agree with SVXHUNTER re the braided lines. It has to be a 1991 or earlier vehicle to be legal.

Also, the brake linings, I think, refer only to the pads (and with older cars, brake linings), not rotors. But then again, rotors aren't mentioned at all .

I agree with most of what has been said in this thread, however, I do believe a totally stock SVX can be competitive in G Stock, if one assumes "competitive" means within the top five (of G Stock). And with the SCCA index'ing, it is also competitive.

The best point made is driver ability. I have seen an excellent autocrosser beat the pants off of most with a TOTALLY STOCK Saturn - it was his girlfriend's car - considering the SCCA index'ing.

Also, the best rule of thumb I have heard re modifications is that if you are doing any mods that bump you into a higher class, then do ALL the mods available and stay in that higher class. Doing one mod (like different springs) only is not going to help a great deal in the next higher class.

And the name of the game is to have fun, and the SVX can be a fun autocrosser. And people are a bit amazed to learn that this is a car with a 4,450 lb GVW!

CHIKE, you will have to drive up from Charlottesville to one of our autocrosses here in the Winchester area - next Sunday, assuming the high school / school board approves our application for a school parking lot. And we can talk autocross on 5 Jun at the mini-meet at my house.....

Later,
Harry
1992 SVX LSL, #1215
1997 SVX LSi, #370
"I live with fear every day. Sometimes she lets me go racing."
"Getting Older and Slower"
Locker: http://www.subaru-svx.net/photos/user.php?newsvx
Old 05-18-2004, 09:46 AM
Row faster...I hear banjos!!!!

Harry,

I'll be at your house on June 5th. May not be able to make it up to your neck of the woods before then, but I'll definitely want to witness a few AutoX events this season... I have a lot to learn, and I want to be sure I'm prepping my SVX correctly to be competitive in G-Stock AutoX competition!

-Chike
Quote:
Originally posted by newsvx
CHIKE, you will have to drive up from Charlottesville to one of our autocrosses here in the Winchester area - next Sunday, assuming the high school / school board approves our application for a school parking lot. And we can talk autocross on 5 Jun at the mini-meet at my house.....

2013 Cosmic Blue 5spd Evo X GSR
2006 Galaxy Gray 6MT RX-8 (sold)
2006 Steel Gray WRX TR (sold)
1996 Brilliant Red SVX L (sold)
Old 05-18-2004, 10:48 AM
Official AutoX Part Breaker
Subaru Gold Contributor

Registered SVX
Quote:

I think that makes braided lines on a 1992 illegal.

Yeah, that might be a point of contention ...I like to ignore the "manufactures' year" and interprete it as "year manufactured" - which means I'm good since my SVX was built in 1991.

-Bill

Most famous NASA "Child" - OSIRIS-REx delivered samples from asteroid BENNU to Earth in Sept. 2023

Center Network Member #989

'92 Fully caged, 5 speed, waiting for its fully built EG33
'92 "Test Mule", 4:44 Auto, JDM 4:44 Rear Diff with Mech LSD, Tuned headers, Full one-off suspension
'92(?) Laguna, 6 spd and other stuff (still at OT's place)
My Locker
Old 05-18-2004, 10:56 AM
Subaru Gold Contributor

Registered SVX
Quote:

snip*

I agree with most of what has been said in this thread, however, I do believe a totally stock SVX can be competitive in G Stock, if one assumes "competitive" means within the top five (of G Stock). And with the SCCA index'ing, it is also competitive.

The best point made is driver ability. I have seen an excellent autocrosser beat the pants off of most with a TOTALLY STOCK Saturn - it was his girlfriend's car - considering the SCCA index'ing.

Also, the best rule of thumb I have heard re modifications is that if you are doing any mods that bump you into a higher class, then do ALL the mods available and stay in that higher class. Doing one mod (like different springs) only is not going to help a great deal in the next higher class.

And the name of the game is to have fun, and the SVX can be a fun autocrosser. And people are a bit amazed to learn that this is a car with a 4,450 lb GVW!

snip*

Later,
Harry

Yeah, what Harry said

I'd add that, if I had to go is over again, the first thing I'd have done is bought a set of R-compound tires off of Ebay (Kuhmo Victoracers or Hoosiers) and bought another set of stock SVX rims to mount them on. I just read an article in the SCCA magazine on autoX'ing and tires, shocks, autoX alignment (think negative camber), and driver skill are the 4 things the article stressed.

-Bill

Most famous NASA "Child" - OSIRIS-REx delivered samples from asteroid BENNU to Earth in Sept. 2023

'92 "Test Mule", 4:44 Auto, JDM 4:44 Rear Diff with Mech LSD, Tuned headers, Full one-off suspension
My Locker
Old 05-18-2004, 11:28 AM
Who watches the watchmen?

Quote:
Originally posted by SVXRide
I just read an article in the SCCA magazine on autoX'ing and tires, shocks, autoX alignment (think negative camber), and driver skill are the 4 things the article stressed.
-Bill
I just started autoX in my other car (BMW) in my local car club. I'm hooked. I found that my suspension is a little too old and soft to be useful (over 50K miles). Any advice on what I should do? I'm thinking adjustable Konis and Eibach springs. But given my knowledge (or lack thereof), I want to make sure I don't get the wrong stuff. Any advice from AutoX experts would be greatly appreciated?

Thanks,
Matt
Old 05-18-2004, 12:14 PM

Send a message via ICQ to Mr. Pockets
Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally posted by nordique14

I just started autoX in my other car (BMW) in my local car club. I'm hooked. I found that my suspension is a little too old and soft to be useful (over 50K miles). Any advice on what I should do? I'm thinking adjustable Konis and Eibach springs. But given my knowledge (or lack thereof), I want to make sure I don't get the wrong stuff. Any advice from AutoX experts would be greatly appreciated?

Thanks,
Matt
I would think you'd want to talk to a BMW owners club about that. They could best advise you what works well with the car.

2005 RX-8 Grand Touring
2005 Outback
2002 Mercedes-Benz E320 wagon

END OF LINE
Old 05-18-2004, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Mr. Pockets
I would think you'd want to talk to a BMW owners club about that. They could best advise you what works well with the car.
I would post there, but the BMW board is a PITA. Lots of flaming and very little useful info.

Matt
Old 05-18-2004, 12:47 PM

Agreed. Every car is set up differently from the factory and what works for our SVX's wouldn't work for a rwd BMW.

-Chike
Quote:
Originally posted by Mr. Pockets

Old 05-18-2004, 12:52 PM

Try posting on more neutral boards like automotiveforums.com. Also, a good wealth of info would be fellow BMW owners competing at the AutoX events with you...

-Chike
Quote:
I would post there, but the BMW board is a PITA. Lots of flaming and very little useful info.

Matt

Old 05-18-2004, 01:19 PM
Subaru Gold Contributor

Registered SVX
Quote:

Thanks,
Matt
Matt,
Try going to a SCCA-sanctioned autocross event as a spectator and ask every BMW driver you see about how they've got their car set up. There is a M3 that runs in my run group that is always very fast! He's running Kumhos on BMW rims...I can ask him about his set up, if you'd like - I just won't be able to until the next autocross, which is the 13th of June.
-Bill

My Locker
Old 05-18-2004, 02:32 PM

Thanks, Bill. A guy with a 325i has been running Bilstien Sport shocks with Eibach springs. He seems very happy with them. I just figured I would get opinions from some car nuts. I bet most guys here qualify. And car nuts always have an opinion when asked about cars. I know I do.

Matt
Old 05-18-2004, 02:36 PM
Word to Yo Motha

Send a message via AIM to SVXer95
I think Bilsteins are pretty much the most popular for BMW's

1995 L AWD
Locker

1987 Porsche 944 turbo
80k miles. MBC + Chips. Relatively Stock
Old 05-18-2004, 11:32 PM
BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOST

Send a message via AIM to Phast SVX
Quote:
Originally posted by lee
the mods you list will take you out of the stock class. while the SVX can be somewhat competitive in the stock class, there simply aren't enough off-the-shelf mods available to make the next step up. That doesn't mean you can't do it and still have fun, just never expect to win an event.

problems with your list include lowering springs and wheels.
I won c prepared last year at my events(scc)
phil
Old 05-19-2004, 05:55 AM
5 speeds rock! :D

Quote:

And people are a bit amazed to learn that this is a car with a 4,450 lb GVW!
Holy Mackeral, Harry. You must have the heaviest SVX of all! Or you may need to go on a diet!

I think you meant 3450 lb.!

BTW: Brake LININGS is the universal term describing the wearable friction surface- shoes or pads. It does NOT include the rotors (or drums, for that matter).

Chiketkd: The zip tie thing works- use a BUNCH of them. We put them every 1/2". That was not enough. Put them touching each other, and pull them tight with pliers. Don't use the really small ties (they are only like 4 lbs test). The ones we used were about 7" long, I think. We just cut off all the scrap.

'92 LS-L Claret: '01 RS 4:11 5-speed, Exedy organic, lightened flywheel, and Koni/ GC
Old 05-19-2004, 07:19 AM

svxhunter do you recall where you bought those 7" zip-ties from? Would any hardware store/ Walmart have them? I plan on doing this mod this coming weekend and posting some pics in the mod section...

Thanks!

-Chike
Quote:
Chiketkd: The zip tie thing works- use a BUNCH of them. We put them every 1/2". That was not enough. Put them touching each other, and pull them tight with pliers. Don't use the really small ties (they are only like 4 lbs test). The ones we used were about 7" long, I think. We just cut off all the scrap.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: