Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-28-2004, 04:09 PM
The Molinator

Warp This!!!

I'm getting tired of warping both front AND rear rotors! I'm also getting tired of hearing some SVX owners say they never have warped any rotors! I drive conservatively and don't do any kind of racing, but in 2 1/2 years I've warped at least 2 front and 2 rear sets of rotors! The most recent incident was about 1 1/2 months ago when I swapped my (stock) warped front rotors for newly turned crossdrilled (Motorsportwarehouse.com, 2 year old, $400/pair, shipped from Canada) rotors. They worked great for about 1 month! Now they're warping >> shaking steering wheel and brake.

Does anyone know how I can get good brakes without killing myself (I hear they have good brakes in Heaven!) or selling my house to pay for them (e.g. Motorsportwarehouse.com has $3000 brake kit!)

PLEASE LET ME KNOW WHAT TO DO! THANKS!

P.S. I'm using EBC Green Stuff front pads, Akebono rear pads. I "rebuilt" calipers about 6 months ago (cleaned, new seals), but didn't replace caliper pins. The pads were wearing evenly to my naked eye, so I didn't replace pins 6 months ago either (I have the parts).
2013 Veloster Red - Driver Now??Dropsprings [1/2" rear, 1" front] with Koni Strut Inserts> Magnaflow Exhaust System> ECUTune Stage 1av1 Upgrade (from 1v4)> ECUTune TCU MOD> Aluminum Crankshaft Pulley> Stainless Brake Lines> Phenolic Spacers> Perforated Brake Rotors (dint like, OEM now)> SmallCar Shift Kit (resting since TCU MOD)> 7-Position Ground System> High-Pressure Fuel Pressure Regulator (resting)> ATF Cooler & Campaign Filter> Yellow Polish Polyurethane Bushings> Pioneer Double-DIN Stereo with JL AUDIO Speakers> Driveshaft Rebuilt with C-Clip U-Joints> 15 Min MOD> 20 Min MOD .. . (2011)
Valentine One Radar Detector with Remote Display - ucan'tseeme!
Old 04-28-2004, 04:42 PM
Row faster...I hear banjos!!!!

Jim,

read this thread: Rotor Recommendations

The Cryo treated ART Rotors are supposed to be exceptional when used with a performance brake pad.

Good luck!

Chike
P.S. Thanks for your comments on the Redline ATF.

2013 Cosmic Blue 5spd Evo X GSR
2006 Galaxy Gray 6MT RX-8 (sold)
2006 Steel Gray WRX TR (sold)
1996 Brilliant Red SVX L (sold)
Old 04-28-2004, 05:20 PM
deruvian

It might pay off to regularly balance and align your wheels. I try to do the same, which yields a smooth ride and no warped rotors (so far).
Old 04-28-2004, 06:26 PM
Thread Killah
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Registered SVX
I haven't ever warped the rotors on my svx and I drive pretty aggressively

My wife's svx I always thought the rotors were warped until I torqued all the lugnuts equally and the steering wheel shake disappeared. No problems since then.

When you put on new rotors also make sure to wire brush the mating surfaces on the rotor and the rim so you are getting a nice even mount.l
92 Ebony LS-L ECUtune Stage2av1, Z32 MAF, 370cc injectors, TomsSVX intake, BontragerWorks 22mm RSB #003, HID Hi and Lo beams, OT endlink and bushing mods, PWR Aluminum radiator, Harvey's QC shift kit, 2.5" flowmaster 80 exhaust, 17" Michelin Pilot Sport A/S, Poly sway bar bushings, Slotted Bradi rotors, AFBeefcake powdercoated calipers, 97 grill, and a huge set of air horns. 300,000 miles and counting
92 Ebony LS-L. ecutune stage1v4, motorsport 1pc pulley. Garage Queen - sold to Dad in upstate NY 155,000 miles
19 Subaru Ascent Premium - -Hers !.
89 DL 4x4 little red wagon - a.k.a. The immortal suby. 275k R.I.P.
Old 04-28-2004, 06:43 PM

this site was discussed in a thread long ago. There may be some inaccuracies, but overall, a lot of good material too.

http://www.stoptech.com/whitepapers/...otors_myth.htm
Old 04-30-2004, 06:15 PM
tmaslar

I have recently replaced my warped rotors with cryo treated rotors from frozenrotors.com(Diversified Cryogenics). So far they are working well. I used Hawk performance street pads. The system took about 1000 miles to break in and start grabbing well. It is now much improved. No sign of warp so far and much better braking. No shimmy either. The maunfacturer claims that most of there sales are to folks who track and race their cars. They claim that they rarely warp even under those severe conditions. They are pricy the fronts are $147 each and the rears are $125.

Tom
Old 04-30-2004, 09:07 PM
Official AutoX Part Breaker
Subaru Gold Contributor

Registered SVX
James,
I agree with Matt - make sure you're torquing all the lug nuts evenly (I go to 40 ft-lbs in a star, then to 80 ft-lbs in a star). I'm using RaceConcept sloted rotors all around with PBR pads with very good results (trust me, I brake very aggresively on certain parts of the autoX courses )
-Bill

Most famous NASA "Child" - OSIRIS-REx delivered samples from asteroid BENNU to Earth in Sept. 2023

Center Network Member #989

'92 Fully caged, 5 speed, waiting for its fully built EG33
'92 "Test Mule", 4:44 Auto, JDM 4:44 Rear Diff with Mech LSD, Tuned headers, Full one-off suspension
'92(?) Laguna, 6 spd and other stuff (still at OT's place)
My Locker
Old 05-01-2004, 04:51 PM

Pads have alot to do with "warping" rotors, you should probley go with a pad that has a higher heat tolerance. If the pad is hard enough and the rotors are not horribley warped new pads could fix your warped rotors.
Old 05-02-2004, 06:47 PM
Making tires round, Six now :)

Rotors warp from uneven heating. The rotor heats up when the brake is applied. A quick hard jab on the brake will only heat half the rotor. Presto- Chango warped rotor. If done properly in the rain it will warp real bad.

I happened to do this on a Honda CRX right after I got new front rotors. It really was upsetting. New rotors and now the car was braking like sh!t. So you know what I did? Several hot speed stops with heavy braking from 60 mph. Heat treating on the car
No more wrap.

Then again it could be the lug nut torque, bad wheel bearings or a loose calipher guide pin or something else.
Old 05-02-2004, 07:23 PM
check out www.planetsvx.com

Re: Warp This!!!

Quote:
Originally posted by James Scott
I'm getting tired of warping both front AND rear rotors! I'm also getting tired of hearing some SVX owners say they never have warped any rotors! I drive conservatively and don't do any kind of racing, but in 2 1/2 years I've warped at least 2 front and 2 rear sets of rotors! The most recent incident was about 1 1/2 months ago when I swapped my (stock) warped front rotors for newly turned crossdrilled (Motorsportwarehouse.com, 2 year old, $400/pair, shipped from Canada) rotors. They worked great for about 1 month! Now they're warping >> shaking steering wheel and brake.

Does anyone know how I can get good brakes without killing myself (I hear they have good brakes in Heaven!) or selling my house to pay for them (e.g. Motorsportwarehouse.com has $3000 brake kit!)

HEY, our massive Porsche style kit is only around $1800
Cant really put a price on safety can we ?

CLICK the LINK below to Visit the SVX Store:

http://www.planetsvx.com

http://www.motorsportwarehouse.com/svx/sig2.jpg

Cars in the garage:
92 Toyota Soarer Single Turbo JDM RHD
70 Boss 302 Mustang 39k original miles
97 SVX Lsi
92 Liquid Silver Murano-ized (1st of its kind)
71 Cougar Xr7 Conv 351c 4v 4spd
69 SS Camaro 350
71 Nissan RHD Fairlady Z
70 Stang Fastback
70 Amc AMX 390
71 240z
89 Conquest TSi w/ 5.0 v8 swap
84 Mustang GT Turbo conv

"good, if it bleeds, we can kill it ....."
Old 05-06-2004, 03:56 AM
The Molinator

BRAKE this!

Dayle: If I got drunk, I might order an $1800 set of front brakes just to get rid of this problem once and for all (what about the rear brakes?). Unfortunately, I like my stock 16" rims! Your Porsche style upgrade brakes NEED 17" OR LARGER RIMS!

I guess I have to take all the calipers apart and install the new caliper pins I got a while ago before buying cryo (ART) rotors or doing anything more drastic.

Any more ideas, guys? THANKS!
2013 Veloster Red - Driver Now??Dropsprings [1/2" rear, 1" front] with Koni Strut Inserts> Magnaflow Exhaust System> ECUTune Stage 1av1 Upgrade (from 1v4)> ECUTune TCU MOD> Aluminum Crankshaft Pulley> Stainless Brake Lines> Phenolic Spacers> Perforated Brake Rotors (dint like, OEM now)> SmallCar Shift Kit (resting since TCU MOD)> 7-Position Ground System> High-Pressure Fuel Pressure Regulator (resting)> ATF Cooler & Campaign Filter> Yellow Polish Polyurethane Bushings> Pioneer Double-DIN Stereo with JL AUDIO Speakers> Driveshaft Rebuilt with C-Clip U-Joints> 15 Min MOD> 20 Min MOD .. . (2011)
Old 05-06-2004, 07:57 PM

Re: BRAKE this!

Quote:
Dayle: If I got drunk, I might order an $1800 set of front brakes just to get rid of this problem once and for all (what about the rear brakes?). Unfortunately, I like my stock 16" rims! Your Porsche style upgrade brakes NEED 17" OR LARGER RIMS!

I guess I have to take all the calipers apart and install the new caliper pins I got a while ago before buying cryo (ART) rotors or doing anything more drastic.

Any more ideas, guys? THANKS!
Ill buy the first case of beer
or first few rounds of shots of whatever you prefer

What front & rear pads are you using?
what about brakelines too ?

Cars in the garage:
97 SVX Lsi
69 SS Camaro 350
71 Nissan RHD Fairlady Z
70 Stang Fastback
70 Amc AMX 390
71 240z
84 Mustang GT Turbo conv

Old 05-11-2004, 07:25 PM
The Molinator

WARPED!

Dayle: I've got your SS brake lines! I have your old (Canadian) cross-drilled front rotors (K&B ??) with EBC Green pads and your new (Brembo?) rear cross-drilled rotors with Akebono pads.

Old 05-11-2004, 07:53 PM

Re: WARPED!

Quote:
Dayle: I've got your SS brake lines! I have your old (Canadian) cross-drilled front rotors (K&B ??) with EBC Green pads and your new (Brembo?) rear cross-drilled rotors with Akebono pads.

You drive too hard, slow down
Ive had my rotors on all my cars for a few yrs, with larger
rims and tires on every car.........not one warp.
You can always turn them to true them up, it helps
for a while.

Cars in the garage:
97 SVX Lsi
69 SS Camaro 350
71 Nissan RHD Fairlady Z
70 Stang Fastback
70 Amc AMX 390
71 240z
84 Mustang GT Turbo conv

Old 05-12-2004, 07:37 AM
Posting since Dec.'98
Subaru Silver Contributor

Registered SVX
The Cryo treated ART Rotors are supposed to be exceptional when used with a performance brake pad.

Good luck!

Chike

I have ART cryo with preoformance pads. They work great. Pictures in my locker.

Last edited by SVX_MY_BABY; 11-21-2009 at 08:59 AM.