How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 04-19-2004, 07:51 PM
91svx

Transmission fault

I have a 91 svx with 136,000km and transmission was serviced about 25,000km ago. Last week the transmission developed a fault. When accelerating from standing in D the transmission slips extremely badly. On partial throttle it will redline while travelling at about 5k's. If you take off really slowly you can feel it partially grippingenough to accelerate, this lasts until there is enough speed to shift into 2nd after which there is no problem. Downshifts to 1 also cause the same problem. The interesting factor is that if you put the car in 1 there is no problem. In 2 and 3 and in Manual Mode the car has the same problem. I have checked all the error codes but there aren't any.

Any ideas would be Great
Thanks
Old 04-19-2004, 09:01 PM
Subaru Gold Contributor

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX
Re: Transmission fault

Quote:
Originally posted by 91svx
I have a 91 svx with 136,000km and transmission was serviced about 25,000km ago. Last week the transmission developed a fault. When accelerating from standing in D the transmission slips extremely badly. On partial throttle it will redline while travelling at about 5k's. If you take off really slowly you can feel it partially grippingenough to accelerate, this lasts until there is enough speed to shift into 2nd after which there is no problem. Downshifts to 1 also cause the same problem. The interesting factor is that if you put the car in 1 there is no problem. In 2 and 3 and in Manual Mode the car has the same problem. I have checked all the error codes but there aren't any.

Any ideas would be Great
Thanks
Well from your description, it looks like the 1-2 one way clutch is slipping. It is used in 1st gear in the D position, but is not used in 1st position, its replaced by the Low and reverse brake, in this position.

It is a Sprag type one way clutch. not a clutch with linings. the slipping you are getting, is not wearing any thing away, just the sprag that is sliding around the wrong way.

Why it is slipping, don't know, just looks like the sprag is worn. Yes the box needs to be pulled down to fix it.

I the mean time use the shift lever for the first gear take off, then lift the boot and slip it into D. When you stop at a light select 1st again. All the best.

Harvey.

95 Lsi. Bordeaux Pearl, Aust. RHD.149,000Kls Subaru BBS wheels.
97 Liberty GX Auto sedan. 320,000Kls.
04 Liberty 30R Auto Premium. 92.000kls.
Old 04-19-2004, 09:07 PM
91svx

Thanks for the information, i was kinda hoping that the box would not have to come out, but nevermind. Looks like i'll have to bring plans for a manual conversion forward.
Old 04-19-2004, 09:55 PM
Subaru Gold Contributor

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally posted by 91svx
Thanks for the information, i was kinda hoping that the box would not have to come out, but nevermind. Looks like i'll have to bring plans for a manual conversion forward.
Yer, sorry about that, just have to use the stick till you can fit another stick.

Harvey.

95 Lsi. Bordeaux Pearl, Aust. RHD.149,000Kls Subaru BBS wheels.
97 Liberty GX Auto sedan. 320,000Kls.
04 Liberty 30R Auto Premium. 92.000kls.