Live Chat!
SVX or Subaru Links
Old Lockers
Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > Regional SVX Forum & Clubs > European Forum
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-02-2004, 05:26 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by svxistentialist
In the interests of sanity and scientific verification, I feel it only correct to point out that quoted top speed for any car is taken as the mean [sum of the maximum speeds in both directions divided by 2] of two timed runs made in opposite directions, to cancel the effect of tail or headwinds.

And I have never seen a verified case of any or these speed tests being carried out behind or in the wake of a Porsche 911

So maybe if SuperSonic's car was measured in this way, and without the intercooler level of cold air they have oop North in Sweden, maybe his max speed crown might slip a little.

But meanwhile......... , we Europeans hold the record!

Yay!!

I think the crown may be coming my way if the evidence of the policeman that pulled me over this evening is anything to go by. He said no matter how hard he drove he couldn't keep me in sight to get his camera locked on to me. All he knew was that he was in the three figures and I was pulling away from him and he admitted his car was tuned. I was given a severe bollocking, I apologised profusely and feeling suitable chastened he drove off. Bloody close call.........I'll be driving like an old man for the foreseeable future.

'96 Subaru SVX (111K) - UK spec
'85 Opel Monza GSE (71K)
'86 Opel Monza GSE (95K)
'93 Toyota Estima Lucida (37K) - JDM import

My psychiatrist says I'm suffering from paranoia........but he's always hated me!!!
Old 02-02-2004, 05:42 PM

Re: Moderate language

Quote:

Good job the moderator on this forum is a long-time fan of Opel Monzas, or straying so far off topic would not be tolerated!

Never been lucky enough to have a Monza, but I have to say, yes, like the SVX, these are very under-rated coupes, very capable and very roomy.

Wasn't there also a rebodied Swiss or German version, not sure of the name, Blitzen or something like that?

Joe
Then the moderator is obviously a man of incredible taste!

Monzas are very like SVXs in that they were superb GTs that never sold well for a number of reasons, none of them the fault of the car itself. The Monza like the SVX is a roomy, practical GT, was technologically ahead of its time with such rarities in the early eighties as an LCD dash, ABS brakes, self-levelling suspension and the option of four-wheel drive.

The Monza regularly beat all-comers in any number of magazine roadtests including its arch rival in Germany the BMW 6 series. But Opel never pushed the Monza, sales were always sluggish and when production stopped in 1987 it wasn't replaced with a new one.

As for the German re-bodied version, I think you're thinking of the 'Bitter'. This was actually a Senator chassis and was available with 3.0, 3.6 and 3.9 litre engines. There was also a convertible based on the Monza called the Keinath CK5.

Anyway, back to the SVXs.

'85 Opel Monza GSE (71K)
'86 Opel Monza GSE (95K)

My psychiatrist says I'm suffering from paranoia........but he's always hated me!!!
Old 02-02-2004, 10:29 PM
m.messenger

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Sonar
[B]Why the Apologies part .... I AM asking for it !!

...and I am asking - what did you do to your exhaust when you 'opened' it - was it an aftermarket replacement mid-box or tail-box or did you modify the standard stuff?
Old 02-03-2004, 01:08 AM

I honestly don't know why the engine reacted so positively to my minor change in the exhaust.

Don't get me wrong, my SVX was running VERY good before also, but a increase in the high rpm was noticable.

All I did was to cut open that middle silencer because it sounded like something was loose in it, ratteling and sounded like a resonance-metal-noise at 2000-2200rpm.

I analyzed the parts inside and removed some "breathing-restrictive-parts" and welded the loose "middle wall" in place (which was causing the noise).
Then I welded the hole thing together again.

The soundlevel did not increase by this surgery, but it feels like the engine revs more freely and pulls strongly in high rpm's now.

/Sonny

-92 ebony black with 170k KM

*** -Stress is when you wake up screaming & you realize you haven't fallen asleep yet. ***
Old 02-03-2004, 01:30 AM
m.messenger

Quote:
Originally posted by Sonar

All I did was to cut open that middle silencer

Thanks. Nurse, the scalpel, if you please - I'll see if I can get round to that with the mid-box off my donorwagon.

/Sonny
Old 02-03-2004, 02:19 AM
Phil & Belha

Quote:
Originally posted by The Monzta

I think the crown may be coming my way if the evidence of the policeman that pulled me over this evening is anything to go by. He said no matter how hard he drove he couldn't keep me in sight to get his camera locked on to me. All he knew was that he was in the three figures and I was pulling away from him and he admitted his car was tuned. I was given a severe bollocking, I apologised profusely and feeling suitable chastened he drove off. Bloody close call.........I'll be driving like an old man for the foreseeable future.
Lucky

Tell us more.

Phil.
Old 02-03-2004, 02:31 AM

I really think that the standard exhaust system is far to restrictive, I have to ask my dear friend Mike at UNITEK what he thinks, he is the current "world" record holder in tuning VOLVO's!!

But I think he has some knowledge of "real" cars to!

World record?, you say, YUP... when i visited him a while ago, he was all exited and was waving a paper....look here, he said..., from the brake-test? of my new rallycross engine, 4-cyl. 2.6L 16 valve Volvo engine, 285BHP and a torque curve that has similaritys with the livingroom floor.....!!! 330NM around 2000rpm (can't remember exactly the rpm)... impressive I'd say, that's really awesome (like it was TURBO charged!!).

Fully streetable he said, you have so much torque avaiable that you could shift at 3000rpm and still outaccelerate most standard cars!! -I WANT ONE !!!!!! But the mods not come cheap .. I know, because Mike has prepared many "streetracer" Subie engines for me over the past years.

/Sonny

-92 ebony black with 170k KM

*** -Stress is when you wake up screaming & you realize you haven't fallen asleep yet. ***
Old 02-03-2004, 02:40 AM
m.messenger

Quote:
Originally posted by b3lha

Lucky

Tell us more.

Phil.
Wildest dreams lucky - you sure he wasn't a moderator, or Sonar's cousin?
Old 02-03-2004, 03:00 AM
crow_road75

Quote:
Originally posted by m.messenger

Wildest dreams lucky - you sure he wasn't a moderator, or Sonar's cousin?
So Messenger, how fast *were* you going?

Jason
--
Old 02-03-2004, 03:26 AM
Jersey Girl
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Send a message via Skype™ to svxistentialist
Registered SVX
Exclamation Danger. Not so plodding plod.

Actually it was Monzta. Messenger sticks to the limits.

[He makes them up in his head first, then he sticks to them ]

What camera was he trying to lock on? Was it laser or radar or something else?

You are a lucky boy, must have been motorway I presume? When I was over for the 02 meet, everyone was doing 85 steady, with no police interference.

Motorways are relatively new to us Irish [we build a lot, but don't drive on them much ]. We have loads of moral guardians who sit at 69-70 in the overtaking lane on the premise that no-one could possibly want to pass them at that speed, it would be breaking the law

Likewise the few miles of motorway near me is haunted by unmarked cars. I can hear them all the time pulling over people for going 75-80. It is a revenue generator only, nothing to do with safety or driving standards. I have yet to see a case brought to court for the passive aggressive behaviour I mentioned above, which causes people to lose their temper and strings of cars to undertake the passive aggressor, a dangerous business. We only get law over here, we don't get justice.

Joe
White X2 RVR Mitsubishi 1800GDI. Vantastic

40,000 miles Jersey Girl
Old 02-03-2004, 03:33 AM
Jersey Girl
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Registered SVX
Bitter sweet memories

As for the German re-bodied version, I think you're thinking of the 'Bitter'. This was actually a Senator chassis and was available with 3.0, 3.6 and 3.9 litre engines. There was also a convertible based on the Monza called the Keinath CK5.

Thanks Monzta, yes it was the Bitter, not the Blitzen, close, but no seegar.

You mention the Senator chassis like there was a difference. I thought the Monza ran on a Senator chassis. Am I wrong? Is the Monza on a shorter platform?

Joe

40,000 miles Jersey Girl
Old 02-03-2004, 03:42 AM
crow_road75

Re: Bitter sweet memories

Quote:
Thanks Monzta, yes it was the Bitter, not the Blitzen, close, but no seegar.
Joe, a Blitzen is a Porsche Design tuned twin-turbo Legacy, and they are the absolute dogs... I find myself drooling uncontrolably when ever I see one... Don't forget the tissues!

Jason
--
Old 02-03-2004, 04:12 AM
m.messenger

Re: Danger. Not so plodding plod.

[QUOTE]Originally posted by svxistentialist
[B]Actually it was Monzta. Messenger sticks to the limits.

Monzta must have been preparing to mash the Swede. I did stick to my limit when doing the weekly 3.00am zap up to York last year - wait till after M1 jct 18 and then run 125 all the way to Goole on the M18/M62. Of course some bodies in a Volvo binliner leapt out of a darkened ditch and tracked me at about 4.30 am just when I'd switched off the Bell 550 to charge my phone, and slowed in the torrential rain for two artics side by side -otherwise it would have spotted them way behind me - so it was 99.74 mph average, a lecture and eventually a ticket to discuss with a magistrate why I shouldn't lose my licence. I got 'off ' with £220 and 6 points - another 0.27mph and curtains. Incidentally the blue brothers have 6 months to do the paperwork, so don't think theyv'e forgotten about you. They just want to maximise the anguish for 5 months three weeks and a day. Also, when you are stopped always ask if the police car has been certified - they are supposed to check the car and the gun calibration every time before they go out. If you detect the faintest sign of a blush, ask for proof. It could help you a lot or drop you right in it. The decision is yours.

www.superquote.com or (.co.uk?) are good for checking all the insurance quotes you can get - like a sort of Pricerunner for such things. It can save £100s.
Old 02-03-2004, 06:13 AM
Jersey Girl
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Registered SVX
Re: Re: Bitter sweet memories

Quote:
Originally posted by crow_road75

Joe, a Blitzen is a Porsche Design tuned twin-turbo Legacy, and they are the absolute dogs... I find myself drooling uncontrolably when ever I see one... Don't forget the tissues!

Jason
--
Thanks Jason.

Yes I knew Blitzen referred to the B4RSKs and Legacys and so on, I was trying to recall the similar sounding Bitter.

"Two pints of Blitzen and 'alf a Mild barman please"

These twin turbos. Do you happen to know if they are sequential, or one for each bank of cylinders?

Joe

40,000 miles Jersey Girl
Old 02-03-2004, 07:29 AM

Re: Danger. Not so plodding plod.

Quote:
Actually it was Monzta. Messenger sticks to the limits.

What camera was he trying to lock on? Was it laser or radar or something else?

You are a lucky boy, must have been motorway I presume? When I was over for the 02 meet, everyone was doing 85 steady, with no police interference.

Motorways are relatively new to us Irish [we build a lot, but don't drive on them much ]. We have loads of moral guardians who sit at 69-70 in the overtaking lane on the premise that no-one could possibly want to pass them at that speed, it would be breaking the law

Likewise the few miles of motorway near me is haunted by unmarked cars. I can hear them all the time pulling over people for going 75-80. It is a revenue generator only, nothing to do with safety or driving standards. I have yet to see a case brought to court for the passive aggressive behaviour I mentioned above, which causes people to lose their temper and strings of cars to undertake the passive aggressor, a dangerous business. We only get law over here, we don't get justice.

Joe
I have no idea what camera he was talking about just that it was fitted somewhere on his car, either dash or grille mounted. I don’t even know what car he was using as I live in a village with no streetlights but it was a black estate and sat very low to the ground with a set of nice alloys. I had a funny feeling it was a BMW 328i Touring as the local constabulary use a few of those.

I was actually on country lanes!!! I know the road really well and know there are no side turnings for about two and a half miles but it was still a damn stupid thing to do in the dark and the rain. That’s why he couldn’t lock on to me, as he turned one bend I turned the next.

I was indeed a lucky boy that’s for sure and I made sure that I adhered to every damn law of the queen’s highway on the way to work this morning. It brought home to me just what the implications for me would have been if I got done……huge fine, loss of license, criminal record, no job, massive insurance hike, the list is endless. Going to try to be a little more sensible in future. Problem is, SVXs just love going quick, the legal limit is reached and breached so easily. Must resist in future.

'85 Opel Monza GSE (71K)
'86 Opel Monza GSE (95K)