Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 01-30-2004, 04:14 PM
Rat Fink Member ~:o)

Send a message via ICQ to Aredubjay Send a message via AIM to Aredubjay Send a message via Yahoo to Aredubjay
Registered SVX
Here's another possibility I found while searching some other posts. This is from Beav:

EGR vacuum hoses on a lot of cars are prone to collecting moisture inside them that freezes in cold weather. When the computer commands the valve to open and nothing happens it will turn the light on - it usually takes two consecutive drive cycles, on most cars, to set the light.
First to arrive at the very first Reading Meet
Subaru Ambassador

1992 SVX PPG Pace Car Replica 110+k
1993 White Impreza L 240+K miles
2001 Legacy Outback Limited Sedan 250+K miles
2013 Deep Indigo Pearl Legacy 3.6R 49+K miles

"Reading is my favorite Holiday"
Mike Davis -- at Reading VI
Old 01-30-2004, 08:49 PM
rperry03

Quote:
Originally posted by Aredubjay
Here's another possibility I found while searching some other posts. This is from Beav:

EGR vacuum hoses on a lot of cars are prone to collecting moisture inside them that freezes in cold weather. When the computer commands the valve to open and nothing happens it will turn the light on - it usually takes two consecutive drive cycles, on most cars, to set the light.

That was an issue on later 90's model Legacy's. As far as multiple codes, it is a rule of thumb to start diagnosing with the lowest number code.
Old 01-31-2004, 01:11 AM

Quote:
I wasnt cranking anything when I got the code. just got in, put the little blue wire where its supposed to go
OK, you've read the ECU memory - the stored codes. Unfortunately ECU does not tell you how long ago it has set the code. It could have been a year ago.

The best option is to erase memory and see if the code comes back. The easiest way to erase memory is to disconnect battery
for 15-30 minutes (it takes about 10 minutes on my car, but it may vary a fair bit).

Also, regardless of ECU memory, when you turn the ignition on, the check engine light should come on (just to verify that the light still works). When you start cranking, the check engine light should go off immediately and stay off.

If it comes back during cranking it means ECU sees a problem - time to read codes.
Old 01-31-2004, 02:56 PM
Rat Fink Member ~:o)

Send a message via ICQ to Aredubjay Send a message via AIM to Aredubjay Send a message via Yahoo to Aredubjay
Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally posted by gl1674

The easiest way to erase memory is to disconnect battery
for 15-30 minutes (it takes about 10 minutes on my car, but it may vary a fair bit).

Actually, the easiest way to re-set the memory is to insert both blue wires into the U-Check connectors in positions 1 and 2 (counting left to right with the "notch" side of the connector facing up), turn ignition to "ON" position (without starting the car), then, turn ignition to "OFF" and remove the wires.
First to arrive at the very first Reading Meet
Subaru Ambassador

1992 SVX PPG Pace Car Replica 110+k
1993 White Impreza L 240+K miles
2001 Legacy Outback Limited Sedan 250+K miles
2013 Deep Indigo Pearl Legacy 3.6R 49+K miles

"Reading is my favorite Holiday"
Mike Davis -- at Reading VI
Old 01-31-2004, 08:58 PM

Quote:
Actually, the easiest way to re-set the memory is to insert both blue wires into the U-Check connectors in positions 1 and 2 (counting left to right with the "notch" side of the connector facing up), turn ignition to "ON" position (without starting the car), then, turn ignition to "OFF" and remove the wires.
Never worked for me. I have 4/91 ECU (the very early one without the crushable components).