How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 12-23-2003, 02:54 PM
Esteem

Power Steering...

I've got a question... this morning when as I was leaving for work, I was backing out of my parking space and turning the wheel left, my car shuddered a tiny bit and 3 lights lit up on the instrument panel ... my battery light, my E-Brake light... and something called "Stop Lamp"... then they turned off. It kind of freaked me out so i parked again and notice that whenever I turned the steering wheel left they came on, and when I let go of the wheel or turned it back right the lights went out. Any ideas what those lights mean or why they would turn on... also is there a place I could look up the various sound/light warnings for the car since I'm still a very new SVX owner

*edit* btw this only happened in the morning while i was parked and backing out... on the way to work it was fine.

Last edited by Esteem; 12-23-2003 at 03:00 PM.
Old 12-23-2003, 05:05 PM

Your problem has a simple explanation - drive belt slippage.
Both alternator and power steering pump are driven by the
same belt. When you were turning the wheel the load on ps pump caused the belt to slip, which caused both shuddering (ps pump was not pumping fast enough) and red lights indicating an alternator problem.

Tighten up the belt, if it does not look new, get a replacement - cheap insurance against belt breakage.

Now, the other possibility is the drive pulley coming apart. Less likely then the belt, but I thought I should mention this...