How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 12-23-2003, 01:19 PM
The One

Send a message via AIM to mranderson
vapor lock is not pcv stuff. It is when you have air in the fuel lines in the engine. Comes from heating the fuel in the rails or something like that. It fits the symptoms but the only thing is that normally on a car with vapor lock it is hard to crank. I do not have that problem. But everything else points to vapor lock.
Old 12-23-2003, 05:32 PM
6evil9

mmm somehow i had cranking problem for last 2 days... weird never had it before. only in the morning when car is cold... gonna go and try it now...
Old 12-24-2003, 11:38 PM
The Molinator

Exclamation bintheredunthat!

I've had this cold startup problem intermittently for over a year. Recently (after very little problems in the summer) the problem started to come back, but then went away! The only things I've done recently are: 1) add a couple of different oil additives (Rislone most recently after another brand) to treat sticky lifters/valves to help with my startup ticking problem and 2) Several fuel treatments in tankfuls of gas (Techron first, then Berryman's) and 3) Octane booster tankfuls (in about 3 tankfuls of gas). Even tho we've had cold weather for us here, I've had no rough idle for almost 2 months!!!

I've been on a thread about a higher fuel pressure fpr for our SVX's. See "Fuel Pressure" under Tech Q & A. This fpr will help at warmup and WOT to increase fuel delivery to help with a stock lean condition. I wonder if I haven't increased this lean condition at warmup by putting in a drop-in K&N air filter which increases airflow (AND thereby increases the lean condition at warmup and WOT)? [I will be installing the fpr soon!] I'm wondering how many of you have mods that increase airflow which could exacerbate the stock lean condition at wot and WARMUP!?

I don't suggest replacing the injector you think you've located by pulling the injector harnesses when idling rough! I did the same thing, thought I located the cylinder (injector or coilpack), replaced both injector and coil on suspect cylinder with no change ($200)! Later, while pulling injector connectors during another rough idle period, I located A DIFFERENT CYLINDER INDICATING NO CHANGE WHEN INJECTOR CONNECTOR WAS REMOVED AT ROUGH IDLE! Oh well!

If you search under "rough idle" you can see some of the many things I did to try and cure this problem over the last year (my high speed shuddering turned out to be the same malady at high speed. I stopped during the high speed shuddering rather suddenly [in the country] to find the same rough idle!).

I'll let you know if I glean any more wisdom about this syndrome. Please keep at it. Although my problem is gone for now, I can't be confident it's solved (since there was no clear cause and effect identified)! I thought it was going to be the MAF, but that swap proved to be fruitless. KEEP LOOKING UP! THANKS!

P.S. I've also been using the better gas stations here lately at someones suggestion (Chevron, 76, Shell), avoiding especially the independent stations (one of which I had been using almost exclusively)???
2013 Veloster Red - Driver Now??Dropsprings [1/2" rear, 1" front] with Koni Strut Inserts> Magnaflow Exhaust System> ECUTune Stage 1av1 Upgrade (from 1v4)> ECUTune TCU MOD> Aluminum Crankshaft Pulley> Stainless Brake Lines> Phenolic Spacers> Perforated Brake Rotors (dint like, OEM now)> SmallCar Shift Kit (resting since TCU MOD)> 7-Position Ground System> High-Pressure Fuel Pressure Regulator (resting)> ATF Cooler & Campaign Filter> Yellow Polish Polyurethane Bushings> Pioneer Double-DIN Stereo with JL AUDIO Speakers> Driveshaft Rebuilt with C-Clip U-Joints> 15 Min MOD> 20 Min MOD .. . (2011)
Valentine One Radar Detector with Remote Display - ucan'tseeme!

Last edited by James Scott; 12-24-2003 at 11:58 PM.
Old 12-25-2003, 12:42 AM
6evil9

Thx for ur effort James

bout injectors...ok i started to doubt now... i swapped the "suspected one" with good one... tried today to pull 1 by 1 and seemed like car still was misfiring and not in 1 of those 2...
confusing...

now, can ECU play the tricks?

actually my rought idle became somehow better with swaping inejctors... weird i know... maybe just temperally

so im stuck again now by not having logical ideas now
Old 12-29-2003, 09:58 PM
svx-t-monster

Talking

had the same problem, all u need to do is get youe fuelsystem flushed out, that will cost u around $80 bucks and check your TPS
Throtle Position Sensor. From there on use only premium gasoline only.
Old 12-30-2003, 04:40 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to LarryIII
Registered SVX
The problem started when you changed the spark plugs. Check every plugand its wire. Before you mess with the injectors. Switch the sparkplugs from the "bad" cylinder to a "good" one and vice versa.
See if the problem moves. Then you will know it is, or is not one of the new plugs and/or wires.
'07 Gray Diamond Pearl Outback XT Ltd..."AH SO"
'05 White Pearl & Silver BAJA Turbo..."AH HA"
'97 Bordeaux Pearl SVX LSi..."SUBYDOO"
'94 White Pearl SVX LSi..."PEARLY"
'92 White Pearl SVX LSL w/touring pkg..."SVXY"
'92 Teal SVX LSL w/touring pkg..."ALCYONE"
'96 Polo Green LSi ... "MIDORI"
'00 Black Dodge VIPER RT-10... "VINNIE"

Engineers do it with precision.
English teachers are novel lovers.

Home: larrysingeriii@comcast.net

SVX FEVER, CATCH IT AT A MEET NEAR YOU !!
Old 01-02-2004, 07:14 PM
6evil9

Happy new year to everyone

svx-t-monster, what u mean by fuel system flush? and what will it give to me?

TPS was cleaned, checked and believe works fine

i had a 600km trip on new years, and car was not too bad on the lights it was bit rough though... Also had it to idle prolly for 8 hours in last 5 days (had sounds running for 5 nights) and it never stalled and was not shaking too bad..

but still problem exists

Last edited by 6evil9; 01-22-2004 at 01:21 AM.
Old 01-05-2004, 08:09 PM
Thread Killah
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Registered SVX
Well, I don't know what exactly to tell you but my wife's car no longer does it.

I was under the hood a few weeks ago - changed the oil, wiggled the wires going into the MAF, looked around for any wires or hoses loose (didnt find anything) Started the car and let it idle, then revved it trying to recreate the problem in the driveway to begin unplugging fuel injectors to locate a bad one but it never came up.

Since then it hasn't come back.

I'm happy but puzzled.
92 Ebony LS-L ECUtune Stage2av1, Z32 MAF, 370cc injectors, TomsSVX intake, BontragerWorks 22mm RSB #003, HID Hi and Lo beams, OT endlink and bushing mods, PWR Aluminum radiator, Harvey's QC shift kit, 2.5" flowmaster 80 exhaust, 17" Michelin Pilot Sport A/S, Poly sway bar bushings, Slotted Bradi rotors, AFBeefcake powdercoated calipers, 97 grill, and a huge set of air horns. 300,000 miles and counting
92 Ebony LS-L. ecutune stage1v4, motorsport 1pc pulley. Garage Queen - sold to Dad in upstate NY 155,000 miles
19 Subaru Ascent Premium - -Hers !.
89 DL 4x4 little red wagon - a.k.a. The immortal suby. 275k R.I.P.
Old 01-05-2004, 09:52 PM
The Molinator

GREMLINS!!!

THAT"S WHAT I THOT! YOU'VE GOT 'EM 2!

[cross our fingers and hope this is the real cure!]
2013 Veloster Red - Driver Now??Dropsprings [1/2" rear, 1" front] with Koni Strut Inserts> Magnaflow Exhaust System> ECUTune Stage 1av1 Upgrade (from 1v4)> ECUTune TCU MOD> Aluminum Crankshaft Pulley> Stainless Brake Lines> Phenolic Spacers> Perforated Brake Rotors (dint like, OEM now)> SmallCar Shift Kit (resting since TCU MOD)> 7-Position Ground System> High-Pressure Fuel Pressure Regulator (resting)> ATF Cooler & Campaign Filter> Yellow Polish Polyurethane Bushings> Pioneer Double-DIN Stereo with JL AUDIO Speakers> Driveshaft Rebuilt with C-Clip U-Joints> 15 Min MOD> 20 Min MOD .. . (2011)
Valentine One Radar Detector with Remote Display - ucan'tseeme!
Old 01-06-2004, 09:09 AM
JoesSVX

>>So why dont we, who have the problem, describe it and write the actions you have done and what you have changed, or, if you fixed problem, share the secret.<<

Here's mine:
It started around the time I changed plugs - Bosch Platinum. (Kick myself for not remembering if it was before or after!)
-Rough idle -intermittent, but 90% of the time.
-Jerky movement at speed -intermittent, but 10-20% of the time.
Had a series of engine (and transmission) codes about that time. Replaced the EGR solenoid because of code 34 and test showing internal short. Cleared codes and now only get code 33 (because of internal transmission speedo drive failure).
-Engine fan intermittently runs when engine is cold, like last night at -4 F!
-O2 sensors both replaced about one year ago.
-outside temp seems to have no effect.
-Also have loud lifter noise on the left bank.

Tried:
-unplugging injectors at idle - inconclusive
-different fuel - no change
-two different fuel cleaners - no change

Last edited by JoesSVX; 01-07-2004 at 09:33 AM.
Old 01-21-2004, 11:43 AM
6evil9

hey everyone

ok now my problem starts to be worse and annoy me, i stall every day, and when i stall its often really hard to get back going. Seems like there is no petrol in the engine and i need to cranck it for a while before it runs and not dies.
Usually happens after car been idling or driving with low revs. Like going down the heel on neutral or just on D with low revs, and in the end it stalls on traffic light and takes 2 minutes before i make it run again... what a shame!
anyone had similar problem? any idias?

and seems to be that its petrol delivery problem for me.. swaping injectors showed that problem is not in either of those 2 cyllinders

cheers
Old 01-21-2004, 12:26 PM
Hater

on cold days, if i drove my car without a long warmup, it would stumble and on occaision shoot a 'misfire, cylinder #1" code. i never gun it when its cold, but i have to go up a long hill after getting in the car after work, and usually at the top of the hill the sputtering and CEL would happen. again, this was only on cold startup. changed plugs and a cracked coil pack was found, which was replaced. no change.

i replaced the temp sensor, and no more roughness or misfires. seems strange, but thats how it went. i was suspecting the idle air control valve, which i'd still like to give a good cleaning to. don't know if this is the same situation as some of you, but i though i'd add it to the 'database'.

1987 928 S4 (Black) SOLD!
1997 SVX LSi (Ebony) SOLD!
2005 Legacy GT (Silver) [Cobb Stg 2+] SOLD!
2005 Forester XT Premium (Crystal Gray Metallic) SOLD!
2008 Lancer Evolution X MR (Apex Silver) [Cobb Stg 1+]
2015 Outlander Sport 2.4GT AWD (Mercury Gray)
2013 G37xS (Obsidian Black)
Old 01-22-2004, 01:19 AM
6evil9

to Landshark:

what temp sensor have u replaced? did u have a code saying its wrong or just had bad readings? where bouts is the sensor and how much will it cost?

asking, because i always have the gauge being on cold. does not matter if its 27'C and i drive hard.. nothing will change the reading. So thought my problem could be the sensor. but again no CEL code. weird..

so where bouts is the sensor? i think of changing it as well as fuel filter.

to everyone:

going back in posts, does anyone know more about "vapour lock" and how to get rid of it if it exists or how to check if it exists.

thx
Old 01-22-2004, 08:35 AM
Hater

Quote:
Originally posted by 6evil9
to Landshark:

what temp sensor have u replaced? did u have a code saying its wrong or just had bad readings? where bouts is the sensor and how much will it cost?
i never got a CEL code for the temp sensor (if there is one?). i would sometimes get a CEL for "cylinder#1 misfire", though.

i'll refer you to this thread because i'm feeling lazy:

http://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/show...ht=temp+sensor

not picking on you, but PEOPLE, PLEASE TRY THE SEARCH FUNCTION!!!!

you can find 99% of your answers by doing a search. it took me less than a minute to find the above thread, which contains pricing, replacement, and more good info.

the search button - don't be afraid of it! (good luck with your problem, though. )

1997 SVX LSi (Ebony) SOLD!
2005 Legacy GT (Silver) [Cobb Stg 2+] SOLD!
2005 Forester XT Premium (Crystal Gray Metallic) SOLD!
2008 Lancer Evolution X MR (Apex Silver) [Cobb Stg 1+]
2015 Outlander Sport 2.4GT AWD (Mercury Gray)
2013 G37xS (Obsidian Black)
Old 01-22-2004, 05:27 PM
6evil9

so did u have anything unusual or just changed the temp sensor?