Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble

Old 03-20-2001, 09:06 PM
This account is scheduled to be deleted for inactivity

Send a message via Yahoo to svxter
Randy-

Glad to see the interest growing in a formal organization. When I started a thread on this a couple of weeks ago, it got only a couple of replies. I will reiterate what I posted there - I feel that a formal organization is absolutely necessary, for all the reasons mentioned above, plus a couple. One of the major concerns I have about an informal organization, such as we have now, revolves around the very medium that we are using to communicate with at the moment. While Chris deserves all credit possible for establishing this site, what will happen if: 1. The demands on his time, and his priorities change? He's putting a lot of time and effort into this, but what will happen if he is no longer able to donate the rather massive amounts of time that maintaining this site requires? With a formal club, maintenance and administering the club web site would become a budget item. That way, it wouldn't be dependent upon the good will of an individual. And, Chris, please don't misread this. I'm not for a moment doubting your dedication and willingness to do this. I'm just thinking of various contingencies. 2. A formal club could probably benefit from an at least-part time staff person, just to keep track of things. 3. Incorporation - an important consideration, from at least two points. First, liability issues arising from officially sponsored events. For example - we have a meet. A parade of SVXs is passing through Wherever, USA. A gawker loses his focus, and runs his new $50K SUV into a tree, and tries to blame us. Second, tax issues.

All the other items mentioned are great ideas - a year long calendar of events, organized voice to lobby SOA, newsletter, etc.

As you mentioned, I have had some experience in drafting constitutions and by-laws for organizations. I was on the committee that drafted the constitution for the Marshall University chapter of AFT, I've worked on the constitution of our local neighborhood association constitution (incorporated as a not-for-profit), plus a couple of others. I am currently working on a draft of a mission statement, and will begin a draft constitution shortly. I'll post these either in this thread, or the other. It may be of value to keep this thread as the discussion, and place documents in the other. That way, interested parties can pop over to one thread to read the drafts, then back to the other to discuss and comment. I'm suggesting this as an interim procedure.

I've been thinking about this a lot, and have a whole bunch of other little notions brewing. But, bottom line, I think it's an absolutely necessary step to take. Let's keep kicking it around here, and at the April meets. Meanwhile, I'll keep working on drafts, and post them when available.

Please excuse the somewhat lengthy post, but as I said, I've been thinking about this a lot lately.
Red F-150 Extended Cab Long Bed - Big Boy

Even the best monkey sometimes drops his banana.
Old 03-20-2001, 09:42 PM
Is it Summer yet?

<<Phast! Wah, wah, wah! Hook up with Colin Riley, he's driving from WI to the Smoky Mountains meet. >>

Colin Riley - aka montypython, aka criley53115
06 Chevy Malibu 71K
13 Outback 0K
Old 03-20-2001, 09:47 PM
Is it Summer yet?

Randy (and all), I'm completely with you on the idea as I've already expressed. I'm sure it will be discussed in Reading (in between Tequila sipping and zebra bikini contests). Lets also talk in the Smokies (in between the Kentucky vs. Tennessee whisky debate).
06 Chevy Malibu 71K
13 Outback 0K
Old 03-20-2001, 09:52 PM
Rat Fink Member ~:o)

Send a message via ICQ to Aredubjay Send a message via AIM to Aredubjay Send a message via Yahoo to Aredubjay
Registered SVX
Bill, can't wait to see the drafts. I've also been involved with drafting by-laws, constitutions and setting NFP organizations. Alls I can say is, "better you than me."

I appreciate your continued dedication to this effort. Thank you for your time.

Meanwhile, boys and girls, it's time to take this thing seriously (well, as I said, not "stuffed shirt, starched panties seriously -- and, yes, Steve YOU can still wear 'em if you want to). I know I'm something of "the class clown," but, I would really like to see this happen.

Speak up now, or don't grumble later -- what do you want to see in your "Official Subaru SVX Owner's Club?"
First to arrive at the very first Reading Meet
Subaru Ambassador

1992 SVX PPG Pace Car Replica 110+k
1993 White Impreza L 240+K miles
2001 Legacy Outback Limited Sedan 250+K miles
2013 Deep Indigo Pearl Legacy 3.6R 49+K miles

"Reading is my favorite Holiday"
Mike Davis -- at Reading VI
Old 03-20-2001, 09:54 PM
BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOST

Send a message via AIM to Phast SVX
Ya!

Ya! thats a great idea! So im sure colin would love to come down and get me out of school and excuse me from my homework and tests! Ya the school thing and me only being 17 has some effect on me going to...how id love to go. MY freind greg (svxboy) is thinking about taking off to the saint louis meet..and if there was ever a meet i was possibly being able to attend it would be that one. Also id like to organize a mini meet up here this summer in WI....there are a couple guys around in the club from our area and it would be fun for a one day-er. Soud good to you Colin? Also...where exactly are you from madison?
later

Last edited by Phast SVX; 03-20-2001 at 09:56 PM.
Old 03-20-2001, 10:05 PM

Send a message via ICQ to Aredubjay Send a message via AIM to Aredubjay Send a message via Yahoo to Aredubjay
Registered SVX
Phast! I'm sure you've "ditched" for things much less important than an SVX meet! Tell ya what, I'll write the note and send it to Colin and he can pick you up. Here's the note:

Please excuse my darling son from school. I think he's going to be sick. Thank you.

PhastSVX's Mom

Think it'll fly?
Subaru Ambassador

Old 03-20-2001, 10:08 PM

Registered SVX
Colin, I shudder (Oh, hell -- I shouldn't say "shudder" in an SVX forum -- that's bad juju) to think what we'd come up with between a bottle of Jack Single Barrell and a bottle of Blanton's. "We find these truths to be self evident -- so why in the hell are we botherin' to (hic) explain 'em -- amen!"
Subaru Ambassador

Old 03-21-2001, 06:37 AM
Is it Summer yet?

<<Colin? Also...where exactly are you from madison? >>

Phast - check my profile.
But I'm from Delavan.
06 Chevy Malibu 71K
13 Outback 0K
Old 03-21-2001, 09:07 AM
lightning_8669

Smile Wisconsin weather

<<Geez!!! cant you people stand alittle cold?! It seems everytime i turn my back its wisconsin bashing time....your just jelous i get to use the SVX's full potentioal!@(well that and we won the rose bowl!) >>

Umm, uhh Phast, I'm IN Wisconsin. I'd like to have an excuse to go someplace warm in winter is all. And yes, the AWD is fully realized in the Wisconsin climate. And yes again we did win the Rose Bowl. Nothing quite like a state that can drink another state dry yeah hey?
Old 03-21-2001, 09:18 AM
lightning_8669

March 28th Milwaukee

Phast and Monty,

Check the calendar for March 28th. Morhds and myself will be at the Ale House in Milwaukee. Get a chance drop on by. Also goes for any of you others who might be in the area.
Old 03-21-2001, 12:01 PM

Mission Statement Draft

I've posted a draft mission statement in the SVX Owner's Club Organization thread. Please read and comment. I'm asking you to post the comments here, so people won't have to search through a long list of comments to find the orginal. Let's see how that works.

Old 03-21-2001, 12:21 PM
Headed to Texas...

Thumbs up Looks good

I see no problems with the mission statement at this point - it looks quite good.

Names? How about SVX Car Club of America (SVX CCA)?
Or SVX Club of America (SVX COA)?

jnj7707@yahoo.com
Old 03-21-2001, 01:17 PM

Think Global

Well, since we have contributors to this board that are in Ireland, Australia and Japan for openers, how about International? Do we want to limit ourselves? Or should owners in other places form a national organization of their own? There are so few SVX owners worldwide, I just wonder. I agree, a name is needed. What we should do is collect suggestions for a while, then put up a poll.

Old 03-21-2001, 01:48 PM

Registered SVX
Absolutely International!

Again, the "Penultimate" (if not ULTIMATE!) SVX Owner's Association in the world! Ah, SVX OA, International -- kinda has a ring to it.
Subaru Ambassador

Old 03-21-2001, 01:56 PM
Headed to Texas...

<<Well, since we have contributors to this board that are in Ireland, Australia and Japan for openers, how about International? Do we want to limit ourselves? >>

I could swing both ways (no comment, please) on this.
My only concern with "international" vs. "of America" would be to not overextend ourselves - and certainly not bar anybody from joining. It probably stems from my old BMWCCA days, where there were several different "BMW Car Club of _________" in existence.

jnj7707@yahoo.com