How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 10-27-2003, 11:12 AM
samerooo22

An Engine Temp Sensor???????

Is ther such a thing as a an Engine Temperature Sensor???? If there is than I think that is whats wrong with my car. Please someone let me know asap
Old 10-27-2003, 11:47 AM
Word to Yo Motha

Send a message via AIM to SVXer95
There sure is. The Temperature sensor is a on the rear of the engine on the driver's side of the car. If this is what is broken, it is a pretty cheap fix. How do you know that it is the sensor? An easy way to see if it is the temp sensor is to run the self diagnostics. If you pull up a code 21, it is the Water Temperature Sensor. Very easy to replace, just make sure to do it when the engine is cold. You can get the sensor for about $20 from subaruparts.com
temp sensor

1995 L AWD
Locker

1987 Porsche 944 turbo
80k miles. MBC + Chips. Relatively Stock
Old 10-27-2003, 11:50 AM
Word to Yo Motha

Send a message via AIM to SVXer95
you must also disconnect the battery to clear the codes once a new one is installed. you may also want to do this before spending any money. you may find out that there was nothing wrong in the first place.

1995 L AWD
Locker

1987 Porsche 944 turbo
80k miles. MBC + Chips. Relatively Stock
Old 10-27-2003, 12:18 PM

Send a message via ICQ to Mr. Pockets
Registered SVX
Sure you can disconnect the battery, but if you don't want to lose your radio presets and clock setting, there's a procedure to clear the codes from the ECU.

Offhand, I can't remember what that procedure is, but I am sure that if you search for it, you'll find it.

Anyway, as for the temp sensor, if it's the same one I'm thinking of, it's called the coolant temp sensor. There are actually two - one fr the ECU and one for the gauge. The one for the ECU is cheaper, which is fantastic, because it's the more likely of the two to fail. The part is exactly the same thing as the one for the Legacy, which is also a common failure for that car.

So, if you plan on replacing the part, make the dealer look one up for a 1995 Legacy and demand to know why that one (the same part number and everything) is less money.

Anyway, I'm way ahead of myself. What makes you think that this part is bad on your car? What are your symptoms? I had to replace the same sensor on both my Legacy and my SVX this summer, so I'm familiar with the problem.

2005 RX-8 Grand Touring
2005 Outback
2002 Mercedes-Benz E320 wagon

END OF LINE
Old 10-27-2003, 08:43 PM
samerooo22

for Mr Pockets

Hey, Mr pockets, what was going on with your car before you had to replace the temp sensor? What was the problem with the car???
Old 10-28-2003, 04:29 AM
6evil9

for mr Pocket

yes what was wrong with the car?

ok in my case my temp gauge always show 1/4 or hardly eva 1/3 instead of 1/2 of the scale.

also bad idle when the car is warm but dunno if they are connected.

i dont have any codes for ECU... but if there are 2 sensors...

anyways where can i find the sesors? maybe contact is lose or something? any ideas how to test them?

PS i know it mite be thermostat but it was replaced less then year ago...but i should check that one 2..
Old 10-28-2003, 09:33 AM

Registered SVX
Re: for Mr Pockets

Quote:
Originally posted by samerooo22
Hey, Mr pockets, what was going on with your car before you had to replace the temp sensor? What was the problem with the car???
That's exactly why I asked you what your symptoms were. If you tell me what's going on with your car, I can tell you whether or not your symptoms match this problem, since I've experienced it twice now. This way we avoid advising you to replace sensors which don't need replacing. I've heard of dealers charging $250 to replace the stupid thing.

2005 RX-8 Grand Touring
2005 Outback

END OF LINE
Old 10-28-2003, 06:55 PM
samerooo22

Its just that I have to wait every morning around 15-20 minutes, for the car to completely warm up before I can put it into gear, if i try to put it into gear, itll die right away
Old 10-29-2003, 09:45 AM

Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally posted by samerooo22
Its just that I have to wait every morning around 15-20 minutes, for the car to completely warm up before I can put it into gear, if i try to put it into gear, itll die right away
Did you experience any other symptoms before this happened, or did it just start doing this one day? Typically, a bad water temp sensor manifests itself this way:

1. Check Engine light will come on briefly when the car is warming up. It'll come on for increasing preiods of time.

2. The car will become hard to start occasionally. When it is hard to start, and does, it may idle very roughly for a bit and die when you put it in gear. In this case, you have to let it run for a few seconds and then it'll be fine.

3. The car will not start at all some times - just turn over and over.

So, unless you've already experienced these symptoms, I doubt your car has a problem with the same sensor. It sounds like something else.

I recommend, in the future, just writing all the symptoms you've experienced, in the order they happened, instead of leading off with a guess at the solution. You'll probably find that you get more advice that way.

2005 RX-8 Grand Touring
2005 Outback

END OF LINE
Old 10-29-2003, 10:42 AM

Send a message via AIM to mikecg Send a message via Yahoo to mikecg
That's odd I dont even let mine warm up. I just start and go. (I know, I know I should let it warm up......but) My baby's never stalled on me.