Live Chat!
SVX or Subaru Links
Old Lockers
Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > Regional SVX Forum & Clubs > European Forum

Old 08-06-2003, 07:05 AM

Servicing Items

Can anyone advise me EXACTLY what items I need to undertake a service on a Brit spec SVX?

I need to know what type and grade of oil/fluid I'd need for the engine, gearbox, diffs, steering, brakes and any other I may have missed. Does the transmission fluid differ from that used in the American spec 'boxes?

Can I get oil and air filters for my car without going to Subaru and paying their prices?

I also need to know what type of spark plug, HT leads and well basically anything you may think is advisable to change. I want to have all this stuff on the shelf in my garage for any eventuality.

The Monzta

'96 Subaru SVX (111K) - UK spec
'85 Opel Monza GSE (71K)
'86 Opel Monza GSE (95K)
'93 Toyota Estima Lucida (37K) - JDM import

My psychiatrist says I'm suffering from paranoia........but he's always hated me!!!
Old 08-08-2003, 04:35 PM
Meow!

Send a message via ICQ to Earthworm Send a message via AIM to Earthworm Send a message via MSN to Earthworm Send a message via Yahoo to Earthworm Send a message via Skype™ to Earthworm
The first place you should look, and you should be able to get most if not all of the information you need, is the owner's manual.
Old 08-08-2003, 05:48 PM

Earthworm,

Thanks for the advice but perhaps I should have explained myself better in my post. I have a UK spec SVX but a US Owner's Manual; I know that our gearboxes differ from yours and I wondered if this difference extended as far as the fluids that they use. Plus the US fluids have to cope with a far more varied level of temperature and environment than our cars in the UK do. This goes for engine oil also and any other viscous fluids.

I was hoping really that other British owners would be able to advise me on makes and grades of oil that they have had particular success with.

I hoped too that I could be pointed in the right direction as to what spark plugs to buy. Standard, platinum-tipped or one of these high performance Splitfire types.

Other advice would be quality non-dealer oil filters and air filters such as Fram that I could use or maybe avoid.

I don't want to pay main dealer prices for Subaru service items if something better and cheaper exists.

'85 Opel Monza GSE (71K)
'86 Opel Monza GSE (95K)

My psychiatrist says I'm suffering from paranoia........but he's always hated me!!!
Old 08-09-2003, 12:16 AM
TonyShaleUK

If you look on the technical forum and do a search on spark plugs, you will find endless info on what people think as being the best and how to do the job.

As for general servicing items such as filters, just try Halfords. They may not have the items on the shelf, but they can get them within a couple of days. I have had air and oil filters, timing belt and brake pads from them.

A good motor factors will get the plugs for you.

Happy servicing!!

Tony
Old 08-10-2003, 03:17 PM
Phil & Belha

As far as fluids go, I don't think the Subaru dealers use anything special. Our dealer uses an oil called TXT Magnetic, which I assume is standard semi-synthetic.

Make sure you put dot 3 or 4 in the brakes and Dextron Transmission fluid in the steering (not steering fluid).

As for plugs, they are long-lasting platinum ones. Our car had 50K when we bought it so was presumably on it's first set - it now has over 100K and they show no signs of failure. When you do replace them I would suggest that you steer clear of Bosch +4's (We had problems with these in our Justy, see separate thread)

Filters can be got from Halfords or a similar store, but you need to take the old one along because the SVX might not be in their book.

For brake pads, Subaru ones are expensive and long lasting, Halfords ones are cheaper but don't last as long, EBC Blackstuff are mid priced and give better braking but reputedly dont last long.

You will never need HT leads.
Old 08-11-2003, 12:09 AM

Send a message via Skype™ to Andy
For brake pads I would only recommend EBC Greenstuff. The Blackstuff pads are not suitable for the weight of the SVX according to EBC. With Greenstuff you will get vastly improved braking performance, and yet they are very kind to the discs as they are non-abrasive and disipate heat much better than the OEM items.

If your discs need changing, I would also recomment EBC discs.

All available from www.performancebrakes.co.uk

They are not listed against SVX on the site but can be ordered on the phone using:

Discs EBCD731

Pads EBCDP6691

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If I would be a young man again and had to decide how to make my living, I
would not try to become a scientist or scholar or teacher. I would rather
choose to be a plumber or a peddler in the hope to find that modest degree
of independence still available under present circumstances.
-- Albert Einstein, The Reporter, November 18 1954
Old 08-14-2003, 06:08 PM

Thanks for the info guys, that's just the sort of stuff I was after.

What though would be the best viscosity for an SVX in the UK. I generally run older classics that run better on something thick like goose fat.

'85 Opel Monza GSE (71K)
'86 Opel Monza GSE (95K)

Old 08-27-2003, 02:24 PM

Send a message via Skype™ to Andy
Goose fat is nice, but I wouldn't waste in on the car

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If I would be a young man again and had to decide how to make my living, I
would not try to become a scientist or scholar or teacher. I would rather
choose to be a plumber or a peddler in the hope to find that modest degree
of independence still available under present circumstances.
-- Albert Einstein, The Reporter, November 18 1954
Old 08-27-2003, 05:37 PM

Oh it's nothing but the finest goose fat multigrade for my Opel Monza. They even do a cheaper version.......it's called 'Duck'hams!!!

'85 Opel Monza GSE (71K)
'86 Opel Monza GSE (95K)

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: