SVX or Subaru Links
Old Lockers
Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble

View Poll Results: Which way have you installed your transmission cooler?
Series (before original cooler) 3 7.32%
Series (after original cooler) 5 12.20%
Parallel 3 7.32%
Bypassed Stock 9 21.95%
Don't have a tranny cooler yet. 19 46.34%
Some other way not listed. 2 4.88%
Voters: 41. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-17-2001, 02:57 AM
Jedi Member

Tranny Cooler Installation Poll

This is just an opinion poll to find out how people have installed their tranny coolers on their SVXes. If there's any other way not listed, Aredub should edit my poll to make it right. (or at least more right :-))
'01 Legacy Outback, White,
Old 08-17-2001, 04:35 AM
ehyde111

Re: Tranny Cooler Installation Poll

Quote:
Originally posted by FlagstaffSVX
This is just an opinion poll to find out how people have installed their tranny coolers on their SVXes. If there's any other way not listed, Aredub should edit my poll to make it right. (or at least more right :-))
Hmmm, I don't think my install location is listed. Anyway, mine is installed by bypassing the original cooler (I didn't take the original one out because it is integrated with the radiator as far as I know).
Old 08-17-2001, 05:46 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to LarryIII
Registered SVX
I have a '97 LSi. I run Red Line synth. ATF (+ Mobil 1 in the engine). I do not have a cooler yet. I have purchased the filer kit from Subaru. It is sitting in the trunk not installed. I plan to buy the same cooler the Ron installed (B&M # ??????). When this cooler is installed with the filter; the original cooler in the radiator will be bypassed. Anyway, that's the plan.

Larry III
Old 08-17-2001, 09:13 AM
This account is scheduled to be deleted for inactivity

Send a message via AIM to nvrmore100 Send a message via Yahoo to nvrmore100
How much is this filter kit? Also what am I hearing about a recall on them or something? Maybe I misread something along the way.

Ryan

http://www.ryanmacdonald.com
http://www.digitalvertigo.net
http://www.open-innovations.com
Old 08-17-2001, 09:45 AM
Lowered SVX

i bypassed my original tranny cooler...

i did not see the logic in running them parallel or in a series. with 19,000 gvw i should have all the cooling power i need.
1994 SVX, true dual Magnaflow exhaust, K&N filter, 17" Enkei RS6 wheels, Bridgestone Potenza RE730 225/45/17 rubber, zinc plated cross-drilled rotors with yellow painted brake calipers. B&M tranny cooler rated at 19,000 GVW. GC springs and Koni strut inserts installed and the car is lowered two inches all the way around!!
"Too much fun to drive!"
Old 08-17-2001, 09:48 AM

Send a message via ICQ to Mr. Pockets
Registered SVX
I've had a B&M cooler sitting in the box since I bought it almost a year ago...crap, it was more than a year ago...

...anyway, I PLAN on installing it before AutoFest. We'll see about that, though - I try not to change things right before a long drive, so it'd have to happen early enough so I can road test it a little...

Oh, and I plan on bypassing the stock cooler entirely.

2005 RX-8 Grand Touring
2005 Outback
2002 Mercedes-Benz E320 wagon

END OF LINE
Old 08-17-2001, 10:52 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to jscorse
Larry question

Do you really think the cooler is necessary in your '97? I thought we were all set. I really don't want the bother, but I value opinions.

- Jeff
Old 08-17-2001, 11:44 AM
KEVINL

What so great about REDLINE ATF? Whats wrong with MOBIL 1 Synthetic ATF?
Old 08-17-2001, 12:20 PM
Headed to Texas...

Quote:
Originally posted by Mr. Pockets
I've had a B&M cooler sitting in the box since I bought it almost a year ago...crap, it was more than a year ago...

...anyway, I PLAN on installing it before AutoFest. We'll see about that, though - I try not to change things right before a long drive, so it'd have to happen early enough so I can road test it a little...

Oh, and I plan on bypassing the stock cooler entirely.
Same plan I've been using! More than a year, sitting on the garage shelf . . .

Other thoughts:

jscorse: if I had a '97 - I probably wouldn't mess with a cooler, since the factory cooler problem was supposedly "fixed". Actually, I would prefer to just replace the radiator in my '92 with an updated one - more expensive, but no fiddling with a cooler.

KEVINL: There's probably nothing at all wrong with the Mobil ATF, the Redline High Temp ATF claims to offer a greater level of protection against super-high temps. Since they're both relatively expensive, I'll go with the one I "think" will give the most protection.

jnj7707@yahoo.com
Old 08-17-2001, 02:34 PM
ehyde111

cost of filter kit

Quote:
Originally posted by nvrmore100
How much is this filter kit? Also what am I hearing about a recall on them or something? Maybe I misread something along the way.

Ryan
Ryan,
The filter kit ran me about $12 bucks. I got mine form Cour D' Arlene (sorry about the spelling ) Subaru. I'm sure you can find the telephone number / website in the message archives somewhere on this site -- I can't find it right now.

I haven't heard about a recall, though. Maybe you're referring to the program subaru had out to try to get these filters to owners of early model SVX's. Not really sure, though.
Old 08-17-2001, 02:47 PM
This account is scheduled to be deleted for inactivity

Send a message via AIM to nvrmore100 Send a message via Yahoo to nvrmore100
Re: cost of filter kit

Quote:
Originally posted by ehyde111
Ryan,
The filter kit ran me about $12 bucks. I got mine form Cour D' Arlene (sorry about the spelling ) Subaru. I'm sure you can find the telephone number / website in the message archives somewhere on this site -- I can't find it right now.

I haven't heard about a recall, though. Maybe you're referring to the program subaru had out to try to get these filters to owners of early model SVX's. Not really sure, though.
This is the section I read from Vykam...

....and paying full price for the filter kit instead of the "recall" price, I still only paid....

I didn't realize this was something that was going on. How does it install. Do you simply cut your tranny line, and put this in the middle...kind of like a fuel filter? What does it look like, so I don't go buy one and find out I already have one on mine.

Thanks,
Ryan

http://www.ryanmacdonald.com
http://www.digitalvertigo.net
http://www.open-innovations.com
Old 08-17-2001, 05:52 PM
Headed to Texas...

Re: Re: cost of filter kit

Quote:

Do you simply cut your tranny line, and put this in the middle...kind of like a fuel filter? What does it look like, so I don't go buy one and find out I already have one on mine.

Thanks,
Ryan
The answer is: YES.
It does look just like a fuel filter to me, and it is more or less installed like you describe.
If you have one, it is located down low on the frame rail, below the battery.

jnj7707@yahoo.com
Old 08-17-2001, 05:53 PM
ehyde111

Re: Re: cost of filter kit

Quote:

I didn't realize this was something that was going on. How does it install. Do you simply cut your tranny line, and put this in the middle...kind of like a fuel filter? What does it look like, so I don't go buy one and find out I already have one on mine.

Thanks,
Ryan
Install, ???, I had the tranny shop do it. The instructions are in a TSB. Check the subaru links section of this site.

What does it look like -- a black fuel filter with two places to connect hoses to on the top and none on the bottom. If you open the hood, stand on the drivers side, look at the battery then down (nearer the engine), you'll see it there. Someone has a pic of theirs in their personal locker.
Old 08-17-2001, 06:07 PM
Rat Fink Member ~:o)

Send a message via ICQ to Aredubjay Send a message via AIM to Aredubjay Send a message via Yahoo to Aredubjay
Registered SVX
Re: Re: Re: cost of filter kit

Quote:
Originally posted by ehyde111

Install, ???, I had the tranny shop do it. The instructions are in a TSB. Check the subaru links section of this site.

What does it look like -- a black fuel filter with two places to connect hoses to on the top and none on the bottom. If you open the hood, stand on the drivers side, look at the battery then down (nearer the engine), you'll see it there. Someone has a pic of theirs in their personal locker.
I have a picture of the location in my personal locker, under technical jpegs. Check it out.

Also, if I remember correctly, the filter was a "program" thing, not an official "recall" (kinda like Korea was a "conflict" not a "war").

The filter kit (Part #31099AA091) is $8.25 at subaruparts.com with 6.95 shipping. For a total of 15.20. It comes with bracket, clamps and hoses for installation.
First to arrive at the very first Reading Meet
Subaru Ambassador

1992 SVX PPG Pace Car Replica 110+k
1993 White Impreza L 240+K miles
2001 Legacy Outback Limited Sedan 250+K miles
2013 Deep Indigo Pearl Legacy 3.6R 49+K miles

"Reading is my favorite Holiday"
Mike Davis -- at Reading VI
Old 08-17-2001, 09:36 PM
The Road Less Traveled

Re: Re: Re: Re: cost of filter kit

Yeah, well, my mechanic didn't know, I didn't know at the time, and the a$$hole dealer didn't care to share that information as well.

The dealer that he ordered from, I had major problems with the parts department as well. Seems as though the whole department are all Cletus and his cousins.

So I paid I think $45-50CDN for it.

Such is life.

VK

Quote:
Originally posted by Aredubjay

I have a picture of the location in my personal locker, under technical jpegs. Check it out.

Also, if I remember correctly, the filter was a "program" thing, not an official "recall" (kinda like Korea was a "conflict" not a "war").

The filter kit (Part #31099AA091) is $8.25 at subaruparts.com with 6.95 shipping. For a total of 15.20. It comes with bracket, clamps and hoses for installation.