Old Lockers
Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 06-13-2003, 06:58 AM

Question Shift Kit for Automatics from Small Car?

Has anyone installed this shift kit from Small Car for automatics yet? Just wondering if it really does help. If I do go and buy this, does this void my warrenty on my "New" rebuilt transmission from Subaru? I just got my transmission this past Febuary. Thanks. Here is Small Car's link:

www.smallcar.com/svx/tsk.htm
Old 06-13-2003, 07:17 AM
From POST-***** to LURKER

Dude, I've heard that it really helps out the shifts and makes them alot firmer... But it makes the CE Light come on.... Ask Chicane, he has it and I think that Immortal_Suby was trying to get it too.... There are some more out there but I don't really know who because I don't pay attention to Auto things anymore1!!!

** SOLD **1998 Subaru Legacy 2.5GT Wagon - MOST RELIABLE car I've ever owned
** SOLD **2006Subaru WRXSTi (Former "Boxer4Racing.com / Continential Tire" STi) - Built EJ22t block / EJ207 JDM STi "big port heads" - 9,000rpm MONEY PIT!!!
** SOLD ** 1995 "Tree-Hugger Green" SVX L AWD(5 MT) --- "Gumby" 130K miles #399 in MY95, my original love...
Old 06-13-2003, 09:58 AM

Send a message via ICQ to Mr. Pockets
Registered SVX
It makes the CE light come on? It shouldn't have anything to do with that. I understand that it makes the power light blink on startup, but that should be the only light it triggers.

I'd like to try this little kit, too, but only if Small Car produces a version that doesn;t make the power light blink. Sorry, I'm just that much of a purist.

Really, I'd like to make sure that if the power light blinks, it's for a good reason. I don't want to get used to seeing it blink every time I start it and then not know when something is really about to fail.

2005 RX-8 Grand Touring
2005 Outback
2002 Mercedes-Benz E320 wagon

END OF LINE
Old 06-13-2003, 11:09 AM
Official AutoX Part Breaker
Subaru Gold Contributor

Registered SVX
Try this thread for everything you've ever wanted to know about the Small Cars shift kit:

http://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/show...threadid=10283

-Bill

Most famous NASA "Child" - OSIRIS-REx delivered samples from asteroid BENNU to Earth in Sept. 2023

Center Network Member #989

'92 Fully caged, 5 speed, waiting for its fully built EG33
'92 "Test Mule", 4:44 Auto, JDM 4:44 Rear Diff with Mech LSD, Tuned headers, Full one-off suspension
'92(?) Laguna, 6 spd and other stuff (still at OT's place)
My Locker
Old 06-13-2003, 12:11 PM
Subaru Swapper

Send a message via AIM to AFBeefcake
I got one on my car and I added some resistors, so the power light does not flash. I can feel the difference
Old 06-13-2003, 04:25 PM
Thread Killah
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Registered SVX
I have it - no CE light but power light blinks on startup - no big deal. Kit works great - highly recommended mod. Well worth the very low price tag. Totally adjustable for firmer or harder shifts. Very easy to install.
92 Ebony LS-L ECUtune Stage2av1, Z32 MAF, 370cc injectors, TomsSVX intake, BontragerWorks 22mm RSB #003, HID Hi and Lo beams, OT endlink and bushing mods, PWR Aluminum radiator, Harvey's QC shift kit, 2.5" flowmaster 80 exhaust, 17" Michelin Pilot Sport A/S, Poly sway bar bushings, Slotted Bradi rotors, AFBeefcake powdercoated calipers, 97 grill, and a huge set of air horns. 300,000 miles and counting
92 Ebony LS-L. ecutune stage1v4, motorsport 1pc pulley. Garage Queen - sold to Dad in upstate NY 155,000 miles
19 Subaru Ascent Premium - -Hers !.
89 DL 4x4 little red wagon - a.k.a. The immortal suby. 275k R.I.P.
Old 06-13-2003, 05:45 PM
Anti-BS Vigilante

Send a message via ICQ to Chicane Send a message via AIM to Chicane
I have it but haven't installed it yet. I'm lazy. I'm actually just waiting for hte perfect time to do a bunch of things at once.

- Rob
Old 06-13-2003, 07:47 PM
Inventor of the 5-speed swap

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally posted by AFBeefcake
I got one on my car and I added some resistors, so the power light does not flash. I can feel the difference
What resistors exactly did you add?
I put one on my wife's Impreza Outback Sport, it works great, but causes the CE to stay lit (only a problem on OBDII cars 96-up).

Specific part numbers and how to wire them in would be great, as I'm a electrical idiot....
88 XT6 AWD 5-Speed "Bride of FrankenWedge"
15 Impreza Premium Sedan
15 Crosstrek XV 5-Speed
My 5-Speed "How-To" Write-up
1976 Pontiac Firebird Formula
Current Count of Subaru's Owned.... "70"
Old 06-14-2003, 07:02 AM
Subaru Swapper

Send a message via AIM to AFBeefcake
I connected 8 4.7K ohm and 1 2.2K ohm ¼ watt resisters all in parallel for a total of around 508 ohms 2.25 watts. I then connected one end of this setup to the unused connector on the shift kit switch and the other end I tapped into the other side of the OEM resister wire. So now when the switch opens there is 508 ohms that the computer thinks is the OEM resister. The car still shifts as if there was no resister there.
Old 06-14-2003, 04:30 PM

Question

I connected 8 4.7K ohm and 1 2.2K ohm ¼ watt resisters all in parallel for a total of around 508 ohms 2.25 watts. I then connected one end of this setup to the unused connector on the shift kit switch and the other end I tapped into the other side of the OEM resister wire. So now when the switch opens there is 508 ohms that the computer thinks is the OEM resister. The car still shifts as if there was no resister there.

I am not a electronics person, do you think you could have pictures in your locker of what you did in your locker with perhaps call outs where you place the 8 4.7K ohm and the 1 2.2k OHM ¼ watt resisters looks like? And could I just buy these resistors at a local Radio Shack store? I am planning to buy that shift kit from small car, and would like to do the same as you. Thanks.

awdsvx
Old 06-14-2003, 07:49 PM
Inventor of the 5-speed swap

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally posted by awdsvx

I am not a electronics person, do you think you could have pictures in your locker of what you did in your locker with perhaps call outs where you place the 8 4.7K ohm and the 1 2.2k OHM ¼ watt resisters looks like? And could I just buy these resistors at a local Radio Shack store? I am planning to buy that shift kit from small car, and would like to do the same as you. Thanks.

awdsvx
Ditto what he said.
88 XT6 AWD 5-Speed "Bride of FrankenWedge"
15 Impreza Premium Sedan
15 Crosstrek XV 5-Speed
My 5-Speed "How-To" Write-up
1976 Pontiac Firebird Formula
Current Count of Subaru's Owned.... "70"
Old 06-14-2003, 11:01 PM

Registered SVX
I would suggest that everyone wait for Brian to complete some experiments but if you are in a hurry purchase a 470 ohm 5 watt wire wound resistor from an electronic store ( say 50 cents worth ).

Leave the the pressure switch connected as per shift kit instructions. Connect the resistor, one end to the green / red lead from the TCU to the dropping resistor ( i.e. the one that does not go to the switch ) and the other end to the green / yellow lead going from the switch to the solenoid. ( i.e. the one which does not go to the resistor )

With this arrangement 470 ohms is in circuit with the TCU and the solenoid at all times and should in the experience of AFBeefcake stop a fault signal. The very small current and signal still being passed to the solenoid should have little if any effect on solenoid operation and therefore line pressure. If this does not stop fault indication try 220 ohms and you may as well purchase one with the 470 to save time.

As a child, on cold mornings I gladly stood in cowpats to warm my bare feet, but I detest bull$hit!