Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 06-04-2003, 10:47 AM

SVX Over Heating

Lately my SVX has been over heating. I am planning to flush out the radiator, engine block, change the thermostat, upper & lower hose and gasket. How do I know if the water pump is still running good or not? Thanks.

awdsvx
Old 06-04-2003, 11:39 AM
Have a poncho I can borrow?

Overheating

If your waterpump isn't working or is weak you'll know by this. Let it warm up so the thermostat is fully open then squeeze the top rad hose shut for a second. You should feel a surge when you release it (like a garden hose when you crimp it). If there is flow but no surge you could be gunked up or have a bad pump. First thing I would make sure though is that your fan(s) are coming on. If not check your connections and if they're fine check your fan motor with a direct line from the battery. Should kick right on. Of course if you haven't changed your fluid in a while its very good to do so but from my understanding fluid doesn't loose its ability to cool over time. It just looses its corrosion protection.
Old 06-04-2003, 12:24 PM

Thanks

Thanks for the tip. My fans are fine, I hear and see them come on. I think you are right about the flow, that some where it might be gunked up or that it might be my water pump. I hope it is not my water pump, oh well, if that is the case, I am already replacing everything else, why not one more thing while I am at it. My list of fixes on the SVX keeps getting longer! Well, I love my car, not going to sell her, not even when I get my new car. Hmmm, maybe STI??? Ahh, who knows, all I know it better be AWD. Thanks again.
Old 06-05-2003, 11:50 PM

Send a message via AIM to kuoh
You'd better hope it is the water pump as anything else, other than hoses or a thermostat, will cost you more.

KuoH

Quote:
Originally posted by awdsvx
I hope it is not my water pump, oh well, if that is the case, I am already replacing everything else, why not one more thing while I am at it. My list of fixes on the SVX keeps getting longer!